PDA

View Full Version : Independent examiners

bamboo
30-Jul-08, 19:31
Looking for advice....
Does anyone know of anyone local (Caithness) who can 'independently' examine accounts for charities? To get them done by qualified accountants is crippling our childrens' organisation.:(

Sapphire2803
30-Jul-08, 20:26
Try contacting a registered book keeper, if they're allowed to do it, they do just as good a job a lot cheaper.

Nibbler
30-Jul-08, 20:27
Hi Bamboo

Not sure if this will help or not but I found the following link with examiners business details on them:

http://www.acie.org.uk/directory_scotland.htm

These are all Scottish ones but none local, or close to Caithness. The website is for the Association of Charity Independent Examiners which I dont know if they can help you or not. Their home page is:

http://www.acie.org.uk/index.htm

Hope this is of some help to you. I dont know of anyone local but someone else on the org may be of help.

Oddquine
30-Jul-08, 22:24
Bamboo, if you don't have a charity which is taking in and giving out big bucks (more than 5 figures)and are using a basic receipts/payments system there is no reason why you should need to pay anyone if any of you know somebody like a bank manager, company accountant, even at a pinch a bank officer who is doing the exams..or a retired one who has done them. All they need is a knowledge of accounting and a responsible job/past job dealing with finance. My son has done it for charities in the past as a community benefit.

Just bear in mind that it does have to be somebody not involved with the charity at all........so a husband or offspring of someone who is involved wouldn't work I don't think...and I'd think that the manager of your charity bank account would be a nono as well.

I'm sure you know somebody with enough financial knowledge to do check a basic set of accounts against your books.....or who is prepared to make up a set of accounts from your books.

I could do the making up........but you'd have to find somebody else to check them.........one person can't do both.

SMacG
31-Jul-08, 09:02
Bamboo

Have sent you a pm

jay
01-Aug-08, 00:13
it all depends on the structure of the organisation, also things have changed a fair bit - risk assessment comes into it in some cases - check with the caithness voluntary group or volunteer highland - they will advise

Sapphire2803
01-Aug-08, 00:17
Risk assessment on the accounts? Are you serious? Do they think someone might trip over a calculator and impale themselves on a dangerously sharp pencil? :roll:

jay
01-Aug-08, 09:10
think it's more to do with financial risk including insurances, proper financial policies in place etc - there is even insurance against having an inland revenue audit. as I said it's all to do with the status and set up of the organisation

bamboo
01-Aug-08, 13:28
Thanks for all the info.
Lots for us to look into and go over. I'll do a risk assessment before I indulge though - just in case:lol: