PDA

View Full Version : The Orkney Show, travel and accomodation query!

M.Funkenstein
30-Jul-08, 17:19
I've been going to the Orkney show for YEAR'S now with my parents, and it's always one of the best shows around.

But this year, my firends and I are planning on going, and camping for a night after the show, we're probably going for two single tickets, if not the "Special offer" travel way. We're also hoping to stay at Pickaqouy campsite.

I was just wondering if anyone could reccomend anything else? Or any wisdom to do with Pickaqouy? We're open to anything we don't have to pay for :L

It's a great show, and really shouldn't be missed if you're thinking of going for the first time

joxville
30-Jul-08, 21:49
I've been going to the Orkney show for YEAR'S now with my parents, and it's always one of the best shows around.

But this year, my firends and I are planning on going, and camping for a night after the show, we're probably going for two single tickets, if not the "Special offer" travel way. We're also hoping to stay at Pickaqouy campsite.

I was just wondering if anyone could reccomend anything else? Or any wisdom to do with Pickaqouy? We're open to anything we don't have to pay for :L

It's a great show, and really shouldn't be missed if you're thinking of going for the first time

I camped at Pickaquoy two weeks ago and can highly recommend it, however don't pitch your tent too close to the bushes at pitch number 18. I did and in the evening was rewarded with too many darn flies wanting to make my aquaintance lol.

The cost for a large tent,(sleeping 4 or more),is £8 per night, but assuming you have a two (wo)man tent then it'll be £4. They are currently having a new reception and facilities block built so temporarily have 3 very large Portacabins. One each for gents, ladies and a laundry/dishwashing room which are all spotlessly clean. The showers are brilliant too.

I'd certainly chose Pickaquoy if I ever visit Orkney again.

Wellies
30-Jul-08, 22:04
The portacabins canna be very temporary. There was one there three years ago that was toilets.

joxville
30-Jul-08, 22:11
They must have replaced that with the ones I used, which did look fairly new. I don't know about the ladies cabin but the gents has 4 cubicles, 4 sinks, 4 urinals and 3 shower cubicles.

sweetpea
31-Jul-08, 21:06

I'm staying at the campsite that night too but it's because I've entered the classic bike show next day and we are all staying there so should be guaranteed a laugh that night.:)

joxville
31-Jul-08, 21:16
There is a bar in the Pickaquoy Centre, staff very friendly, but it closes at 8pm so you'd be as well giving it a miss and drink somewhere else.

M.Funkenstein
31-Jul-08, 23:29
I'm staying at the campsite that night too but it's because I've entered the classic bike show next day and we are all staying there so should be guaranteed a laugh that night.:)

:lol: It certainly sounds it!

Thanks for all the help guys, and yeah, we're definately going for Pickaqouy!

.orger party in out tent btw :lol: