PDA

View Full Version : best ways to induce labour

BRIE
30-Jul-08, 11:14
My due date is fast approaching & the last thing I want is to be induced again!
so how did all the mummies out there get there babies moving?

cuddlepop
30-Jul-08, 11:18
Wish I could help but all mine have been early.

Have heard that a "little bit of what you fancy" tends to speed things up,well if you think about it thats whats starts the process.:lol:

You in your new house yet?.....new house,new baby and all that,maybe you could "camp out" and pretend your in if your not.

brokencross
30-Jul-08, 11:23
My best friends wife took their dog for a brisk walk, it brought on labour on 3 occasions. Let me guess you don't have a dog. Good luck anyway.

teenybash
30-Jul-08, 11:24
Start cleaning the house from top to bottom................even if it's pristine. Hoover, mop,polish floors.... just get stuck in and your labour will start all by itself. Raspberry tea will also bring on labour and see you pop back into shape, after the birth. Raspberry tea can be got from a local herbalist or health food shop and should only be taking during the last three weeks of pregnancy.
Good luck. :Razz

Angela
30-Jul-08, 11:24
Two of mine were early and the other one arrived on the due date.

The thing women did here in Edinburgh was to get their OHs to drive them round and round over the cobbled streets. Sometimes it seemed to do the trick and it also worked well for sending crying babies (safely in their car seats of course) off to sleep when all else failed.;)

All the best, Brie. :)

Kathy@watten
30-Jul-08, 11:25
LOL remember this well, big heavy and tired of being enormous.....and being induced is not fun!
Try going a run up to Loch More and along the forestry tracks where you will find no mobile phone works bound to work!
Daresay you have tried the hot bath, curry and marital relations?? babies come when they are ready and the prospect of inducement is less than appealling...what about wandering around in the most inconvienient place for waters to break...Tescos for example? :D Best of luck anyways for your new baby on the way hope you have a good experience and hope all goes well for you all!

Melancholy Man
30-Jul-08, 11:25
Get rid of Gordon Brown?

Failing that, raspberry leaf tea as a [uterine] muscle relaxant. Check with your obstetrician, though, as despite was the Radovans may tell you, herbal remedies *can* counteract other treatments; although the main potential risk here is drinking it too early, when you want the baby the stay.

BRIE
30-Jul-08, 11:26
marital relations-tryed that with the others & it doesnt work!!:lol:
hopefully moving next week just putting the finishing touches to it. & yes its true having babies & moving house really is the most stressful things
in life!
The raspberry leaf tea worked great for a pain free labour last time but sadly it didnt bring on the labour.

teenybash
30-Jul-08, 11:32
If all else fails..............try belly dancing.........I kid you not...move those abdominals and soon everythingelse will also start moving!!!!

justine
30-Jul-08, 11:39
must i be the miserable one again. Well after many years at this i can say there is no sure way to start off labour. Unfortunately mother nature makes up her own mind as to when the baby will come and we have no control..Either way good luck for the near future and be sure to let us know when little one arrives.

wifie
30-Jul-08, 11:50
Do you know anyone who practises Shiatsu? There is a point on your hand you can press which gets things going - I won't explain it incase I get it wrong - best to be taught properly. Certainly helped for me..... :)

mccaugm
30-Jul-08, 12:39
With my last I went into labour about 12 hours before I was due to be induced. I had a great gynae who was only going to let me go 5 days over my date. With my second I disagreed with the docs about my dates. They reckond I had him on time but I reckon he was 2 weeks late. My first went on his date which apparently is very unusual.

I am told a bit of "hows your father", strong curry, the raspberry tea thing and exercise such as walking works. With me sitting doing a huge pile of ironing brought on labour. Good luck and photos please when the little one does finally make an appearance.:D

skinnydog
30-Jul-08, 13:07
I tried everything and I mean everything!! Nothing worked, still had to wait 2 weeks and even then was induced. Even after that the poor kid didn't want to make an appearance so had to be delicately helped into the world with the aid of forceps.

Ouch.

justine
30-Jul-08, 13:08
must i be the miserable one again. Well after many years at this i can say there is no sure way to start off labour. Unfortunately mother nature makes up her own mind as to when the baby will come and we have no control..Either way good luck for the near future and be sure to let us know when little one arrives.

although i will add that if you would like to try something natural, then marital nuptuals is good as the gel they use in hospital to induce labour, is a man made substance that is very like male sperm.That then produces the normal hormone in the woman to start labour naturaly. Thats only if you feel up to it..

telfordstar
30-Jul-08, 13:09
With my last baby I tried every old wifes tale possible to get baby on the move he was overdue and nothing worked at all was even given some help by gynagologist but even that didnt move him along I even went down the route of castor oil and even that didnt work. I was induced 6 days over and after having 2 other labours without being induced it was THE WORST labour of them all by far.
Good luck Brie and keep us posted.

Moby
30-Jul-08, 13:31
I was late with all my kids, the last I was induced. I was lucky it was no worse or no better than going naturally.

In the last days before I was induced I was slurping away on raspberry tea and castor oil, had enormous quantities of curry, out for brisk walks and a bit of hows your father. I even spent one day lifting paving slabs..............didn't work.

Chin up it won't be long - good luck

Sapphire2803
30-Jul-08, 13:45
I was induced on my first two and it was awful. On my third, as soon as I got to my due date I was on a mission. I didn't sit down all day, I was wandering about, sweeping, washing floors, ironing, anything to keep me on my feet. If I stopped to watch telly, I stood behind the armchair and leaned on it, rather than sitting. So, gravity worked for me. My waters broke at 11pm, just as I was about to give up until the next day. :)

telfordstar
30-Jul-08, 13:49
sitting on top of gym ball and bouncing and rolling about on it was one that was recommened to me by the midwife.

mccaugm
30-Jul-08, 14:08
Epsom Salts & a good pile of ironing, the salts taste gross but I delivered 24 hours later....forgot about that. My mother suggested that to me at the time....

Daisy
30-Jul-08, 16:08
Im having the same worries was 7 days late with my first but went myself then 12 days late wi my second and had to be started off. My nana swears by cod liver oil but Ive never tried it, hot hot curries are meant to work lond fast walks and sex. If all else fails I have a big trampoline in the back garden you can have a go on. Thats where I will be on my due date!!!!

Valerie Campbell
30-Jul-08, 16:22
Putting it as delicately as possible, try a little 'exercise' in the bedroom. I got fed up waiting for my first born so, although a tad awkward, we did it and hey presto, a few days later I had my son. It was a midwife who suggested it to women who'd gone over their due dates, but remember full term is anything from 37 weeks to 42. By week 39 I'd had it!!!

padfoot
30-Jul-08, 16:27
cutting the grass, perfect time of year for it lol

honey
30-Jul-08, 16:42
a sweep and bouncing on an excerices ball!!!!

i went to my MW 2 days before i was due, i wasnt efaced (sp) and she thought it would be a good idea to book me in to be induced 2 weeks later.

she offered me a sweep and said she had been told she has magic fingers...i agreed, then i went home an watched coronation street bouncing gently on an excercise ball, feeling totally miserable...

Chris was born on the bathroom floor the next morning, so its something i would definately recommend!

DM07
30-Jul-08, 16:50
Paddling in the loch started off my first and mowing the lawn started my second. Or at least thats what I was doing when labour started!

George Brims
30-Jul-08, 19:34
Here in America, you would just need to take one look at the hospital bill. Only risk is it might prompt a heart attack instead.

Tugmistress
30-Jul-08, 19:43
half a pound of cherries (fresh) did it for my friend, she was in labour 12 hours later, i then ate the other half a pound of cherries and was in labour within 12 hours, everyone i suggested this to that has actually tried it found the same result within 24 hours.
good luck and happy times :)

WeeBurd
30-Jul-08, 21:33
I have to agree with Justine - baby will come when they're good and ready, and no amount of coaxing will get it out earlier. Believe me, I tried many things - rudeness, raspberryleaf tea, walking, pineapple, hot baths etc. :roll:

Many people say induced labour is far more painful than going by yourself - I was technically induced with both Burdies, and the ensuing labour's were painful of course, but then isn't that what childbirth is about? I lived to tell the tale, and went on to do it again, so whatever you do, don't be worrying about little things like that!

Best of luck, and we look forward to hearing of BabyBrie's arrival very soon! :D

hotrod4
30-Jul-08, 21:45
My cure for early labour(as seen on 8 out of 10 cats)

Why not wave a Farleys rusk around the "affected area" if junior is hungry I am sure they will make an appearance ;)

If that fails then try a bit of "how junior was made" after a chicken madras,while cutting the grass with a dog on the lead and bouncing on a trampoline!!! that way you can come back on and thank the org for the tips!! you'll have covered all of them then. :)

If the rusk thing works and its a boy i would expect hotrod4 to be his middle name!!!!!

Oddquine
30-Jul-08, 21:52
With my first..unintentionally..it seemed to set me off travelling on the top deck of a doubledecker bus going home to Findhorn.....and I blame that because I'd been in Forres at the Doctor's, and he told me I'd be a few days yet! Started overnight...early.

With my second, we went on a car journey up the track of the old railway line which tossed me about quite nicely. Didn't do the car a lot of good either....but I was overdue and we were getting fed up waiting...........went to doctor's following afternoon to be wheeched staight into hospital because I had started but not noticed.

telfordstar
30-Jul-08, 21:59
Oh i remember pineapple my mouth was sore eating the things:lol:

mums angels
31-Jul-08, 10:10
My first arrived on her due date after a robins sausage supper , hot bath and marital relations, second was exact same again plus a long walk he was 3 days before due date , third i tried everything for 2 weeks nothing happened until i gave up and tried nothing one night and hey presto , he was 7 days late and with my last ... 5 days late a sweep in morn, walk in evening ,steak with pepper sauce , hot bath and the marital realations 20 mins later waters broke and she was born 47 mins later so i reckon try everything it canna hurt and at least you feel your trying LOL good luck :D

and if your desperate on your due date ask MW to do a sweep , one in particular is said to set everyone off ..worked for me with my last i think ;)

ashaw1
31-Jul-08, 11:30
My due date is fast approaching & the last thing I want is to be induced again!
so how did all the mummies out there get there babies moving?
Sorry to be so negative about this subject but unfortunately i have good reason. I brought on my labour early by following a few recommendations i saw on a website, one was a herbal tablet the other was a herb that i found in a well known bath product. Well it worked maybe a little too well, i went into labour 3 weeks early my son was very small and had feeding problems when he was born. To this day i blame myself for being so selfish, luckily he has no lasting ill effects except for being slightly small for his age. In my eyes the baby will come when it's ready and if you do go overdue it's probably for a very good reason.

ashaw1
31-Jul-08, 11:32
Oh i remember pineapple my mouth was sore eating the things:lol:
Did nobody tell you are supposed to peel it first? Sorry, couldn't resist!

ANNIE
31-Jul-08, 13:24
With my 2nd I got my husband to drive up and a bumpy road a few times dont know if it was luck or did it work but was in labour by the early the next morning also if your labour starts at home I was told by my midwife to eat a banana or eat cereal to keep your labour pains going. I had cereal with banana and my labour came on quickly

Sandra_B
31-Jul-08, 17:27
Make plans for the weekend! Worked both times for me, made weekend plans, baby arrived on Friday morning.

lynne duncan
31-Jul-08, 20:28
first induced on due date. due to lack of water on scan, and even though i felt perfectly fine, it took 3 days for her to be delivered and every drug they could find to induce me!! but relatively no pain!1 2nd was 17 days over they were going to induce me again but then sent me home as they were too busy, went in the next night to be induced and they said again go away because they had twins going to inverness so isaid not on your nelly i'm staying til this one is out, so at 11oclock at night they gave me the gel and within half an hour i was in the pushing stage but because i'd made that big a fuss about getting induced, they said it was the cramps due to the gel and then left me for another 2 hours before they checked me and then i got rushed through to the delivery room very quick. 3rd one was 18 days overdue and due to them being short of gynaes got the option to go to inverness to be induced on the friday but as i was quite comfy and had noone to look after other 2 said not on your nelly and waited for monday to be induced here but went into labour naturally myself on the sunday night, quite comfy no pain but contracting quite nicely so phone a pal and belthered to her until there was only 2 mins between cont. so then phoned the midwife and she came and checked and chased me to the hosp as i was fully dilated, snooks was born within the hour.
but going back to what to try, i never bothered just waited until they came, think with the first ouple you just get hooked on the magic 40week date and forget that there isn't a fixed time for the little ones to come

stekar
31-Jul-08, 20:49
I washed the car when I was just under four weeks to my due date, that night my waters broke and the baby arrived 24 hours later.

That's my excuse now for never washing the car anymore, lol!!

Good luck and all the best!

Tubthumper
31-Jul-08, 23:16
I was out cutting peats the first time. Started me off within ten minutes.

That's why I called my oldest boy Peter...

My second lad's called Duncan. Anyone guess why?

George Brims
31-Jul-08, 23:43
My second lad's called Duncan. Anyone guess why?
OK I'll bite.... Coffee and a donut?

Tilter
31-Jul-08, 23:53
Just do like the sheep - relax and wait for the next blizzard.

Oops, wrong time of year.

Valerie Campbell
01-Aug-08, 10:22
Sorry to be so negative about this subject but unfortunately i have good reason. I brought on my labour early by following a few recommendations i saw on a website, one was a herbal tablet the other was a herb that i found in a well known bath product. Well it worked maybe a little too well, i went into labour 3 weeks early my son was very small and had feeding problems when he was born. To this day i blame myself for being so selfish, luckily he has no lasting ill effects except for being slightly small for his age. In my eyes the baby will come when it's ready and if you do go overdue it's probably for a very good reason.

Do you mean you went into labour at 37 weeks? If so, you were full term, so don't blame yourself. The baby was just naturally small.

ashaw1
01-Aug-08, 11:45
Do you mean you went into labour at 37 weeks? If so, you were full term, so don't blame yourself. The baby was just naturally small.
He was 3 weeks and 1 day early so the hospital classed him as premature (silly i know). I still think if i hadn't done what i had he would have had an extra couple of weeks that might have made all the difference. My 3 other children were all early too but not that early. At least he hasn't suffered from it but i still wouldn't advise trying to start labour.