PDA

View Full Version : To pless or not To pless, that is the question!?

brokencross
30-Jul-08, 10:30
There was a bit of a kerfuffle at my local drinking house the other day.

It was a really hot, sunny day and the beer garden was absolutely heaving with half naked bodies taking the sun.

I was stood at the bar and two young men came in just wearing shorts and flip flops; the barmen said he couldn't serve them as they weren't wearing a shirt or T-shirt so would they mind leaving.
One lad said "no problem" and said he would go and put on his T-shirt and come back, but the other lad took issue with this and started giving the barman verbals, wanting to know what right the barman had to tell him what to wear and why was it OK to be in the beer garden without a shirt drinking the pubs beer but not OK to get the beer served without a shirt.
The barman referred him to the notices on the doors, "Shirts or T-shirts to be worn inside, please gents". This did nothing to placate the lad but his friend eventually dragged him away.

I happen to agree with the pubs shirt policy, especially considering food was being served inside. So topless or not topless, that is the question?

northener
30-Jul-08, 13:43
I'd agree with the rule 100%

I'm pretty laid back, but I wouldn't want to be sat next to a half-naked and (more to the point) sweating male in pub when I was trying to eat or drink. Some people really honk if they don't have a layer of clothing to soak up the sweat.

Out in the open air? - no problem at all.....

Sapphire2803
30-Jul-08, 13:50
It's starting to become an annoying habit, but I agree with Northerner... again! :lol:
In a beer garden, I could happily spend my time ogling topless, tanned men, but in the pub...

Nope, clammy, sweaty bods rubbing against my nice outfit I've put on to go for a drink. Yuck!
As for while I'm eating??!!! I think it would be enough in some cases to make me leave my food and go elsewhere.

Kathy@watten
30-Jul-08, 13:59
funny how we all have funny ideas about nakedness...do we complain in warmer climbs about the removal of shirts? I really couldn't care less if blokes want to remove a layer and am sur they wouldn't object too strongly if we ladies chose to join em...dunno how many time I have been tempted to but social taboo prevents! thankfully I live outwith the town and nakedness can prevail should I choose! tee hee I can only scare the sheep and unsuspecting parcel deliveries!

Sapphire2803
30-Jul-08, 14:12
Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm all for public nudity :) Just not indoors, keep it out in the fresh air :)

mccaugm
30-Jul-08, 14:17
If they have decent bods it would be offputting in the case of female attention. If the bods were less than adonis-like then it would be offputting period.

I think shirts on inside is respectful. If women took the same attitude there would be an even bigger hue and cry...so if women have to then why shouldn't men.

joxville
30-Jul-08, 15:52
Many years ago I went into a bar and the manager refused to serve me because I was wearing a summer vest. I'm of average build, not muscly nor overweight, so couldn't understand why he refused to serve me. I asked why and he said it was because my arms were bare!

I looked around and noticed a few young women wearing vests so challenged him on it, to which he replied that women don't sweat the same as men and if he allowed men to be served then he'd have builder's coming in and lowering the tone of the place!

I walked out and never went back into the place again. I can't stand double standards.

Sapphire2803
30-Jul-08, 20:30
But, ladies merely glisten.

*snigger, snigger*

mccaugm
30-Jul-08, 20:32
But, ladies merely glisten.

*snigger, snigger*

Ladies glow
Men perspire
Horses sweat...something like that...

Kathy@watten
31-Jul-08, 13:29
Regardless what you choose to wear or not wear anyone is able to have smells around them...not always good ones I hasten to add, perhaps it is more an odour issue we have here or sweat? perhaps should all folkies wanting to go sans shirts take a quick whiff of their oxters and take appropriate action we will all be OK! perhaps febreze and deoderant should be made available same as bar snacks and ice. providing nobody refuses to be clean we are sorted!....can't do anything about the phantom farters tho!:lol:

wifie
31-Jul-08, 13:34
Regardless what you choose to wear or not wear anyone is able to have smells around them...not always good ones I hasten to add, perhaps it is more an odour issue we have here or sweat? perhaps should all folkies wanting to go sans shirts take a quick whiff of their oxters and take appropriate action we will all be OK! perhaps febreze and deoderant should be made available same as bar snacks and ice. providing nobody refuses to be clean we are sorted!....can't do anything about the phantom farters tho!:lol:

There are bound to be loads of corks in a bar! [lol]

northener
31-Jul-08, 19:12
Just have a sheep dip at the bar entrance.

As the unshirted ones enter, a member of staff could trip and push them into the dip and then hold them completely underwater with a long-handled brush for at least 30 seconds until the 500 gallons of 'Old Spice' has worked it's way into every little nook and cranny.......

badger
31-Jul-08, 19:33
Ladies glow
Men perspire
Horses sweat...something like that...

My father used to quote this but in reverse so -

Horses sweat
Men perspire
Ladies merely glow

joxville
31-Jul-08, 19:39
Horses sweat
Men perspire
Ladies merely glow
Have you ever seen a woman 'glow'? I haven't. Maybe it's a polite term for hot flushes.[lol]

Whitewater
31-Jul-08, 23:58
Strikes me that the pub in question had a double standard. I have been drinking without a shirt in many beach pubs in warm countries, but I must admit that if I was in town, in a pub, I would be keeping my shirt on, beer garden or no beer garden. I am perhaps old fashioned but I believe that there are certain standards of dress which should be maintained. Believe me, an awful lot of the people who go about half naked should have a look in the mirror, the shirts would be going back on pretty rapidly if they did.

Murdina Bug
01-Aug-08, 11:13
I once saw a big beer-bellied guy shopping in Somerfield Thurso in nothing more than flip-flops and shorts. The shorts were slung down below the belly and he had a bigger bump than a 9 months pregnancy! I have to say that I found it very off-putting as did every one else around - you could see people's eyes going round and the nudging of others to point him out. I guess if he had been strolling along the beach I still would not have found him attractive :eek: but it would have been more expected. Inside, especially in food environments, it is just not socially correct.