PDA

View Full Version : Bonfire night

nellie
29-Jul-08, 22:24
Could someone please tell me if it is true that there will be no bonfire at the river side on Saturday njght

northener
29-Jul-08, 22:28
Allegedly, and I emphasise 'Allegedly', there will be a firework display but no bonfire.

'Allegedly' this is because of 'Health and Saferty' implications.....

TRUCKER
29-Jul-08, 22:34
Thats what i heard was down that way and there is no wood lying there. Its a shame there has always been a bonfire.

domino
29-Jul-08, 23:01
There are a lot of killjoys out there. They should be put on a bonfire

nellie
29-Jul-08, 23:08
I would have thought it would have been very safe to have a bonfire on an island in the middle of water with no houses near by,

Kathy@watten
29-Jul-08, 23:29
OK so it's OK to set off explosives into the sky to light it up and go wherever the wind takes em, but now it is not OK to burn wood? to my mind this is madness if previous posts are accurate in telling that there will possibly be no bonfire this year in Wick.......how mad is this? how many have died or been maimed at this event previously? my applogies if you have been affected by an accident involving this event but I am curious as to how many health and safety infractions have been involved to cancel such an event which brings together young and old in our community. A kipper won't be the same without the back glow of the bonfire!

wifie
29-Jul-08, 23:33
Blimey thought I had gone to sleep and missed a couple of months! :eek:
Did not realise a bonfire ended Wick gala week - well I am assuming that is what is bein talked about here! :)

benji
29-Jul-08, 23:35
...I wonder what has happened in the last year that makes a bonfire so much more dangerous.....

Fran
30-Jul-08, 01:26
Does this mean the other 2 bonfires in wick have been cancelled too?

fender
30-Jul-08, 07:46
There is a pile of wood starting to surface at the Riverside. Is this fly tipping or is the bonfire on now?

katarina
30-Jul-08, 09:33
I'm so sick of hearing the words 'health and safety' this seems to be an excuse for everything now and it's gone a bit too far! The riverside bonfire is the safest in the town being on an island. And why did the torch light procession of yesteryear stop? Apart from the kids having loads of fun, it was beautiful to see all the torches reflecting in the river.

Venture
30-Jul-08, 09:43
In the programme there is no mention of a Bonfire, just musical fireworks and a BBQ. Disappointing for all those who enjoy it, especially the kids.

philupmaboug
30-Jul-08, 10:29
Perhaps the council do not have the resources to pile the bonfire on the island...cut backs and all that you know!

ocd
30-Jul-08, 11:28
The only mishap I remember on bonfire night was the year one of the fireworks "misfired" and landed on a caravan. So correct me if I'm wrong it would make more "sense" to stop them!!!

Please don't misread I think we should have fireworks and a bonfire, kids love it. :)

telfordstar
30-Jul-08, 13:28
I did hear this as well but that it was due to the smoke and enviromental issues that the smoke causes.

rainbow
30-Jul-08, 15:33
Been down to the river and Millers are piling up wood for the bonfire so I presume it will be going ahead.
From what I can understand only the contractors can organise the bonfire - due to Health & Safety - as people were apparently dumping all the rubbish from the floats etc beer cans, aerosols etc this was what was causing H & S problems.
In my opinion the fireworks would not be complete without the bonfire.

speedo215
30-Jul-08, 20:16
well i heard they were only allowed one bonfire a year due to the ozone layer and that one is going to be the new year one in the bignold

Amy-Winehouse
30-Jul-08, 22:15
Nonsense, how many bonfires were there in Ulster 3 weeks ago?????

A lot of tires + Pallets were in the pictures I saw , especially the Bonfire in Lisburn- it was the height of a 4 storey building & very impressive when it was torched

joxville
30-Jul-08, 22:18
A kipper won't be the same without the back glow of the bonfire!

The only kippers you're likely to see are the ones who made the rule.[lol]

speedo215
30-Jul-08, 22:34
Nonsense, how many bonfires were there in Ulster 3 weeks ago?????

A lot of tires + Pallets were in the pictures I saw , especially the Bonfire in Lisburn- it was the height of a 4 storey building & very impressive when it was torched

i actually heard this from one of queens attendants dad this was what she was told