PDA

View Full Version : wick gala (unfair)

stromalassy
29-Jul-08, 19:28
After spending a lot of time, money and effort getting dressed up for the gala on saturay night, my sister and her friends were a mere 5mins late to be judged and the judges refused to judge them. I thought this was so unfair, not to say they were very dissapointed. :~(

clover
29-Jul-08, 19:54
I found it all very disappointing as regards the judging. My daughter and granddaughter entered and as they were of very different ages they were told when registering that the only group they could be entered in was the family groups.There was the amazing Noahs Ark which without a doubt were a family group,but unfortunately they were pipped by stars in their eyes who were from THE ACCIDENT AND EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT. Am I missing something how are a group of works colleagues passed as a family group.

Another thing I find strange is why the prizes are not given out at time of judging instead of the fiasco after parade meeting in the assembly rooms when it is obvious that the older ones who have consumed a considerable amount of alcohol and are in very high spirits and youngsters have to be subject to the long wait in unacceptable surroundings.

Tighsonas4
29-Jul-08, 20:29
After spending a lot of time, money and effort getting dressed up for the gala on saturay night, my sister and her friends were a mere 5mins late to be judged and the judges refused to judge them. I thought this was so unfair, not to say they were very dissapointed. :~(
and this is supposed to be a gala occassion fun for all
officaldom run riot tony

telfordstar
29-Jul-08, 20:41
Speaking of gala did anyone go along to the baby show today now theres usually alot of unfairness at that regarding judging:roll:

martin macdonald
29-Jul-08, 21:02
Speaking of gala did anyone go along to the baby show today now theres usually alot of unfairness at that regarding judging:roll:a ken i won it one year:eek:

Cattach
29-Jul-08, 21:08

If yopu do not run the event to rules then chaos ensues. Five minutes lat, then along comes six minutes late and then comes ten minutes late. Thre has to be a line drawn.
And why should those who make an effort to come on time - many early for the event by inconvenienced by those who cannot organise themselves to be on time?
As for judging mention in another posting - the judges cannot win and anyway only losers complain.

Blondie
29-Jul-08, 21:09
Speaking of gala did anyone go along to the baby show today now theres usually alot of unfairness at that regarding judging:roll:

I passed by there today and it was really busy! I can't believe folk can be so stupid as to take their kids along to be judged as to whos the 'bonniest'!

I think they need to get a flippin life!

Cattach
29-Jul-08, 21:12

Another thought - maybe you should join the committee and the helpers and make a constructive contribution to the gala. Th people who put in so much time and effort for the town of Wick should get support and not criticism on the org.

telfordstar
29-Jul-08, 21:18
I passed by there today and it was really busy! I can't believe folk can be so stupid as to take their kids along to be judged as to whos the 'bonniest'!

I with you totally on this one blondie me personally i dont need someone to tell me my kids are bonny cause in my eyes they are the most beautiful kids ever and thats the only opinion i care about. Well said blondie:D

rainbow
29-Jul-08, 21:20
The assembly rooms is a good crack and to me is no fiasco (except you can never hear who wins what!).
Yes people are in high spirits (not everyone is drunk some of us can get get hyper on the atmosphere) - everyone is still hyper after working their socks off collecting money for Wick. It is also a chance to catch up with friends on other floats and have a good laugh - there is no time to get the 'crack' during the floats procession through the street.
Seats are always set out for people who don't want to stand or for those who don't want to be amongst the float folk. I think if the prize giving was too formal it would take the fun jovial atmosphere out of the whole night.

sweetpea
29-Jul-08, 21:23

Totally agree. What is it with people that parade their kids like trophies, weird!

scorrie
29-Jul-08, 21:24
a ken i won it one year:eek:

Aye, but that was the year Stevie Wonder was judging it Martin!! ;)

TBH
29-Jul-08, 21:38
Anybody that puts their child into a baby contest has got to have a screw loose and I would imagine it is more about their own vanity than any thought for the child involved.

telfordstar
29-Jul-08, 21:51
:D
Anybody that puts their child into a baby contest has got to have a screw loose and I would imagine it is more about their own vanity than any thought for the child involved.

Well said. Im actually suprised that so many feel this way..

TBH
29-Jul-08, 22:10
:D

Well said. Im actually suprised that so many feel this way..Well Normality is defined by the majority so I am surprised that you are surprised.:lol:

telfordstar
29-Jul-08, 22:16
Thanks tbh I think:D

TBH
29-Jul-08, 22:20
Thanks tbh I think:D
Don't think twice, it was a complimentary post.;)

carasmam
29-Jul-08, 22:46
I with you totally on this one blondie me personally i dont need someone to tell me my kids are bonny cause in my eyes they are the most beautiful kids ever and thats the only opinion i care about. Well said blondie:D

Well said both of you :cool:
I too am surprised so many feel this way, I have visions of my bairn asking me in a few years time if I didn't think she was bonnie enough to drag round all the shows like some do :confused

John Baikie
30-Jul-08, 01:00
comment withdrawn :)

Venture
30-Jul-08, 01:14
I can never understand why anyone would want to enter a child into a baby show. Every baby is beautiful. The poor mites are dragged along in their finest and made to sit for hours in the hope that they smile when the judges pass and then mummy gets her photo in the Groat. How anyone can say one baby is better looking than another is beyond me. They are all beautiful in their own special way.

TBH
30-Jul-08, 01:17
I can never understand why anyone would want to enter a child into a baby show. Every baby is beautiful. The poor mites are dragged along in their finest and made to sit for hours in the hope that they smile when the judges pass and then mummy gets her photo in the Groat. How anyone can say one baby is better looking than another is beyond me. They are all beautiful in their own special way.Venture, lots of women are so caught up in their own importance that they have to believe that their child is the most beautiful, how could it be any other way in their own tiny deluded minds?

stromalassy
30-Jul-08, 08:56
If yopu do not run the event to rules then chaos ensues. Five minutes lat, then along comes six minutes late and then comes ten minutes late. Thre has to be a line drawn.
And why should those who make an effort to come on time - many early for the event by inconvenienced by those who cannot organise themselves to be on time?
As for judging mention in another posting - the judges cannot win and anyway only losers complain.
In my eyes everyone who made an effort for saturday's gala is a winner, i was only stating how unfair it was they never got judged.

stromalassy
30-Jul-08, 08:59
I found it all very disappointing as regards the judging. My daughter and granddaughter entered and as they were of very different ages they were told when registering that the only group they could be entered in was the family groups.There was the amazing Noahs Ark which without a doubt were a family group,but unfortunately they were pipped by stars in their eyes who were from THE ACCIDENT AND EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT. Am I missing something how are a group of works colleagues passed as a family group.

Another thing I find strange is why the prizes are not given out at time of judging instead of the fiasco after parade meeting in the assembly rooms when it is obvious that the older ones who have consumed a considerable amount of alcohol and are in very high spirits and youngsters have to be subject to the long wait in unacceptable surroundings.Noahs ark was excellent, saw them a few times, thought they would have won a prize.

cd1977
30-Jul-08, 09:02
Well said Venture.

These things are more about the parents aspirations than the babies looks.

Look at these American beauty pagaents - they spawn complete freaks like Britney Spears and her horrifying parents.

johndy
30-Jul-08, 11:04
Noahs ark was excellent, saw them a few times, thought they would have won a prize.

They did win a prize, Fancy dress collectors- Family Group -2nd Noahs Ark.

Solus
30-Jul-08, 11:35
Crikey, downing mum's who take the babies to bonnie baby contests now :roll:

Whats a bit of harmless fun, chance to mingle with others, day /afternoon out for a laugh.

Ash
30-Jul-08, 11:50

Whats a bit of harmless fun, chance to mingle with others, day /afternoon out for a laugh.

ive done it
its harmless fun
needless to say she won :D

Blondie
30-Jul-08, 11:59

Ah yeah that must be such a lot of fun for the kids............. I don't think!

Ash
30-Jul-08, 12:06
Ah yeah that must be such a lot of fun for the kids............. I don't think!

my wee one was 4months old when entered her... she hadnt a clue so its hardly not fun for the wee ones

dolly
30-Jul-08, 12:07
I would like to say well done to all the people that took part in Wick's Gala this year.
As a foot collector myself, the experience is one that i really enjoy every year and the poeple gave generously to the town.
I think the committee do a fantastic job and without them there would be no gala .
What i would like to comment on is the judging at the rose gardens. Nobody knew if the had been judged or not. This wastes valuable time as, lets face it the collectors could be raising more money for the town.
What i suggest is the judge to simply call the poeple/groups for instance
"could everyone in the family group step forward/line up and we'll get the judging done, then you can go" ect.
I would have approched a committee member but i didn't know who was on the committee,if anyone knows please let me know as i can pass my suggestion to them.
Finally well done Wick!:Razz

cd1977
30-Jul-08, 12:57
For "bonnie baby" read "pushy parent"

Just say NO bairns.

Blondie
30-Jul-08, 12:58
ive done it
its harmless fun
needless to say she won :D

May I ask, what did you come away with from that experience? (apart from the rosette or whatever tat you get that is)

telfordstar
30-Jul-08, 13:14
May I ask, what did you come away with from that experience? (apart from the rosette or whatever tat you get that is)
Pretty good point there blondie my guess is, is that if peoples kids dont win the parents walk away pretty down hearted and the kid is left thinking what is all that about (maybe not so much babies and younger kiddies but certinly the older ones). I wonder as well with the older ones who dont win a prize what do the parents ell them it is after all a contest for bonniest baby.

Nibbler
30-Jul-08, 13:35
Hi All

I can see this started off as the gala but noticed the comments about the baby show.

I have not been one for putting my thoughts (opinions) on the org but this one I have to.

I have a 7 month old daughter who (as we all say about our own) is beautiful (she takes after her dad). Her dad took her to the baby show yesterday but not for the competition (I personally do not agree with it but some people do like this kind of thing) but for the socialization aspect of a gathering like a baby show. She had never been to anything like that (well, sometimes the baby clinic is a bit hectic) and it was a step towards her being able to cope with a room full of people/other babies. I unfortunately dont have any friends with young babies so she is limited in the contact she has with them - hope to remedy that shortly with a mother and toddler group!! (After this, I might have no friends at all :lol:.)

Baby shows, to me, are for the parents. If, once she can talk, she asks to go to something like that, by all means, I will take her. Until that stage, she has had her one and only outing to an event like that.

I would not say she enjoyed it, but she did well and coped with all the people around her so that was what we wanted from it.

Last words on this - each to their own.

cd1977
30-Jul-08, 13:52
Ah, but Nibbler you same to be of a rare opinion that it is the taking part that counts. That's healthy :D

Nibbler
30-Jul-08, 15:22
Thanks cd1977. Taking part in shows seems to affect showing of any kind - whether it be rabbits, horses, etc. It can take out the worst in people.

As for the floats in the Gala - I'm really sorry but I did not get a chance to see them as it was bedtime for our little girl but, from what I have heard, a lot of hard work and time was spent getting everything organised, so well done all who took part. You are all winners as far as I am concerned as everyone who takes part in the floats is collecting money for the local community.

It is a shame that being only a few minutes late meant some entrants were not allowed to be judged. Not very fair and I can see both sides of this debate but no real clear outcome/resolve to suit everyone.

evelyn
30-Jul-08, 20:36
I found it all very disappointing as regards the judging. My daughter and granddaughter entered and as they were of very different ages they were told when registering that the only group they could be entered in was the family groups.There was the amazing Noahs Ark which without a doubt were a family group,but unfortunately they were pipped by stars in their eyes who were from THE ACCIDENT AND EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT. Am I missing something how are a group of works colleagues passed as a family group

Just to clarify things for you clover, the A&E team were made up of staff and several of their children. The children did a large part of the painting and decorating of the trolley we were taking around, as well as dressing up on the night.
Its a pity that you're disappointed because most of the fun of the gala is the preparation and enjoying the great community spirit during the parade. Unfortunately not everyone can win.
evelyn

cat
30-Jul-08, 20:52
we went as a family group a couple of years ago and was told by a committee member where to stand and it was the wrong place so we werent judged at all.:( we werent that good though,a group of non artistic people:lol::lol:

as for the baby show,im sure mine is the bestest baby out there but its just no rite taking em along till have someone judge em.at sorta thing is for animals at e county show,and before i get slated and people ask is it fair on the animal,well as long as you have food water and shade from sun and rain it should be. besides,in an animal the judge is looking for conformation and the animal being put together the way it should be, what do they look for in babies?its just no rite

catnip
30-Jul-08, 21:46
What i would like to comment on is the judging at the rose gardens. Nobody knew if the had been judged or not. This wastes valuable time as, lets face it the collectors could be raising more money for the town.
What i suggest is the judge to simply call the poeple/groups for instance
"could everyone in the family group step forward/line up and we'll get the judging done, then you can go" ect.

Very well pointed out dolly. I was a foot collector myself (campaign for a new Wick High) All collectors were hanging about for ages wondering "can we go now"
Well I eventually left cause i was bursting !!!!!!