PDA

View Full Version : I'm having a serious GRUMP

Kenn
28-Jul-08, 23:53
Why is it when there are ample bins provided at view points, "The Halkirk Games," and other events or sites that people seem unable to walk a matter of feet to dispose of their rubbish?
It really riles me that such a beautiful landscape is being ruined by the careless and thoughtless behaviour of a selfish minority.
OK call me a "Grumpy Owld Woman," to which I freely admit but please clear up the county by disposing of your rubbish in a sensible manner or even take it home and recycle it.
Rant over!

wifie
29-Jul-08, 00:03
Lizz you are sooooooo right! I was in our local park tonight and opposite the bin someone had carefully bagged a pile of rubbish and left it by a tree - HOW KIND! [evil]

TBH
29-Jul-08, 00:23
Those English people with the penchant for shouting, 'Get Orf my land', need to learn how to use the bins provided instead of ruining our beautiful country.[lol]

Disclaimer:
I really like the English, From a distance.;)

Tilter
29-Jul-08, 01:03
Why is it when there are ample bins provided . . people seem unable to walk a matter of feet to dispose of their rubbish?

Lizz, I think this behaviour starts off on a small scale in the home. For example, husbands have to chuck used teabags in the sink instead of in the compost bin provided two feet away from said sink. Children have to chuck a used spoon in the sink instead of in the dishwasher provided six inches away.

When they all get out, this abysmal behaviour escalates to such phenomenal proportions that there's nothing we can do but GRUMP. There's nothing like a good grump - it fair sets me up for the day.

wifie
29-Jul-08, 01:09
Lizz, I think this behaviour starts off on a small scale in the home. For example, husbands have to chuck used teabags in the sink instead of in the compost bin provided two feet away from said sink. Children have to chuck a used spoon in the sink instead of in the dishwasher provided six inches away.

When they all get out, this abysmal behaviour escalates to such phenomenal proportions that there's nothing we can do but GRUMP. There's nothing like a good grump - it fair sets me up for the day.

Hey tilter good point but I have to say my children always clear away rubbish and plates, etc from the table but other children who visit don't. Not mentioning OH tho - I never had a hand in his initial training! ;)

TBH
29-Jul-08, 01:11

When they all get out, this abysmal behaviour escalates to such phenomenal proportions that there's nothing we can do but GRUMP. There's nothing like a good grump - it fair sets me up for the day.But you are not standing six inches from your kid at all times.[lol]

Anji
29-Jul-08, 08:14
I couldn't agree more, Lizz, but it's not just on big days out that people drop litter. It's all around us, on the streets and in the countryside.
Drives me mad!!

cd1977
29-Jul-08, 09:00
I advocate the death penalty and nothing less for this scandalous behaviour which occupies my every waking thought.

I like nothing better than to come on here and moan also.

TBH
29-Jul-08, 09:08
I advocate the death penalty and nothing less for this scandalous behaviour which occupies my every waking thought.

I like nothing better than to come on here and moan also.I don't see anything wrong with voicing a negative opinion about people dropping litter when there are bins provided. Would you like your country strewn with rubbish?

badger
29-Jul-08, 09:45
I do so agree Lizz - it costs nothing and takes little effort to carry your rubbish home if there isn't a bin handy and there's absolutely no excuse where there are bins.

While we're on the subject, I get absolutely furious with the amount of recycled stuff which isn't put into the bins but is left on the ground, usually in plastic bags, beside them. It's not that the bins are full because I've often been able to put my stuff in without any trouble. Seems some folk just can't be bothered.

Kathy@watten
29-Jul-08, 10:36
I hate when I go round my horses fields and find rubbish that I didn't put there and has obviously flown in, it poses a real hazzard I have found glass, tins, packaging and less desirable items too....and I have to tidy up after a mindless minority! also hate Friday and Saturday night chip eaters rubbish, was almost wiped out a few weeks ago when whilst following a sporty corsa and was suddenly in the dark as a great big chip paper was strewn across my windscreen...having been tossed from afore mentioned car! bet they don't drop litter in thier own gardens...we get lots of droppers at the layby near us and casual outta car droppers too...where do they stop? not like there are no bins about and everyone has a wheelie bin for their personal rubbish so surely it can be stored safely till getting home?:confused

pat
29-Jul-08, 11:14
we are responsible for our litter and for teaching the young about everything in life - how to dispose of it correctly is only one small part of things we should learn whilst young.
If you do not teach young people life skills before they go to school - the community at large suffers, they do continue to learn life skills at school but if they have not learnt basics they suffer and feel inadequate this leads to bullying, fighting and disruption.
Parents have a lot of work to do but many do not realise the importance of showing a young one how to do things - watch an animal with their young. How many in the animal world behave badly (unless affected by human behaviour - scavenging in bins for human food waste etc)

mccaugm
29-Jul-08, 11:26
Years ago I was minding my friends little boy, think he was about 8 at the time. He stood there with a packet of sweets letting the litter drop behind him. I challenged him and he had no concept that dropping litter was wrong. He sood learnt when I made him collect the litter and find a bin to put it in.

On a different note, I took my bin round last night and found it weighed very little. I realised that I recycle so much rubbish these days that taking the bin round is sooooo much easier.

P.S. If anyone is passing Halkirk and possibly heading to the recycling centre could they collect my plastic and card as Halkirk don't take these items. Thank you!

badger
29-Jul-08, 12:53
I was talking to some fairly recent incomers who said they were very shocked when they first moved up here by the amount of rubbish around near roads - farms with old cars and all sorts of other rusty gear that I suppose is just too expensive or difficult to get rid of. Now, like me, they are used to it but wouldn't it be good if we could have a clean up campaign everywhere although heaven knows where it would all go. I suppose some could be recycled. A field near me has suddenly sprouted a huge pile of rubbish - have no idea why or where it came from but usually there are animals grazing.

pat
29-Jul-08, 13:44
If only the folk dumping rubbish on 'a farm field' or 'empty land' knew it is not getting rid of the problem, it is transferring their problem to someone else - it means the landowner is then responsible for getting rid of that rubbish and if the landowner gets it picked up by a council it will ususally incur a cost to the landowner.
If the original person dumping the rubbish called the council it would usually be uplifted free of charge. c
Cannot understand the mentality of driving miles into the country to dump an old fridge/washing machine/car etc but many many folk do it all over this country and the funniest part is it is usually done in the middle of the night? Why????

Sapphire2803
29-Jul-08, 14:17
When we took a wander around the burn at Golspie the other week, I was impressed by the fact that I couldn't see any litter, I commented on it to my family. We stopped at the first picnic bench past the car park and ate our lunch. As there wasn't a bin there, we bagged up the rubbish and carried it with us to be disposed of later. When we got back to the same spot on the way back to the car (after meeting a family with small children on the path) it was strewn with sweetie wrappers. :(
Before I had a chance to comment, my older daughter gasped and ran across to the picnic bench and started to collect the rubbish.
Ooh, I was so pleased and proud.

My children are lazy and messy at home. They do all the things mentioned above Tea bags in sink, washing up not put in the dishwasher and my pet hate... Leaving dirty washing dumped on their bedroom floor. Thankfully though, they don't do this when they're out. I know this because they never bother to empty their pockets either. If they've been out somewhere and there's no bin, the rubbish comes home in their pockets and stays there until I remove it.

The west highland way is strewn with litter too, you wouldn't expect the type of person who would go to the effort of walking that path to be a litterbug, but some of them obviously are. [disgust]

jay
29-Jul-08, 15:42
went to the Golspie Banger Derby on Sunday - every few feet along the front of the crowd were green wheelie bins - when the crowds left the hillside was just strewn with rubbish from food wrappers to beer bottles and possible what looked like disposable nappies! no need for it at all especially when you think this was an event organised by volunteers for their gala week - the same volunteers must have spent hours cleaning up

northener
29-Jul-08, 15:55
Alas, you can lead a cretin to a wheelie bin, but you cannot make the cretin use it......

cuddlepop
29-Jul-08, 16:47
What really makes me mad is when your out walking in the hills and people leave rubbish,its not kids its big people.

We were brought up hill walking and allwas took our rubbish back to the car.It seems now rubbish will be thrown anywhere.[disgust]

wifie
29-Jul-08, 16:53
went to the Golspie Banger Derby on Sunday - every few feet along the front of the crowd were green wheelie bins - when the crowds left the hillside was just strewn with rubbish from food wrappers to beer bottles and possible what looked like disposable nappies! no need for it at all especially when you think this was an event organised by volunteers for their gala week - the same volunteers must have spent hours cleaning up

Nappies! Found one all wrapped in a nappy sack floatin in the water at St Andrews beach last summer - just at the tide edge so it was from someone who had been usin the beach. The same beach posts a sign to politely ask dog walkers to refrain from using the beach during the peak summer months! :confused

katarina
30-Jul-08, 09:43
Take a walk by the quoiting shed by wick river. Littered with rubbish all round despite a wheelie bin set right beside it. And look at the main street after any function. I was so embarrassed when my canadian friends were home - in canada there is no litter on the streets. an on the spot fine of $500 cures the droppers. Why not here?