PDA

View Full Version : Talking with Hands: Annoying or Not?

Rheghead
28-Jul-08, 10:26
One of my pet peeves is talking to people who talk with their hands and I don't mean those who need to do sign language.

The stereo-typical Italian is the worst offender, but they aren't the only ones, it is all that waving about and hand gesturing that is totally distracting and it never adds to the content value of what they are saying, just the opposite.

I especially hate seeing those SKY TV reporters doing it when they are on location.

I just wondered what are other folk's feelings on this as I am concious of doing it myself. Though I do it on occasions for specific reasons like when gesturing at a distance that the tea has been brewed or there is someone on the phone, it is the conversational gesticulator that sticks in my craw the most.

canuck
28-Jul-08, 10:30
Guilty!! :grin:

Angela
28-Jul-08, 10:50
Let's hope we never meet then, Rheghead!;) You would take an instant dislike to me, I fear.

I do it all the time, I always have, it's a big part of how I express myself. The only way I can stop myself is by sitting on my hands -literally!- or I could have them chopped off I suppose.... :eek:

There again -why should I? It's part of who I am! I've always tried not to do it in work situations such as presentations though, where I know it probably is an annoying distraction.

teenybash
28-Jul-08, 11:06
I am also guilty of talking with my hands which is not a deliberate choice.... you either do or you don't as it is all part of the personality and self expression. People who are creative, enegetic and colourful will tend to use expressive hand movements.
As for Italian using their hands when talking............many of the gestures have a defined mean so it isn't just hand waving for the sake of it........;)

NickInTheNorth
28-Jul-08, 11:11
Well no vote from me, I don't "talk with my hands" but if others do it doesn't bother me. In general I don't see it adding anything to the value of the words spoken.

Anne x
28-Jul-08, 11:35
I am so guilty of it as far back as school years one particular teacher used to comment on it all the time also within my family I did it and probably still do maybe something to do with getting my tuppence in

Later in life I was a Receptionist and gestured all the time to overseas visitors pointing them in the right direction to the lift or rooms etc probably because of the lack of languages and not been very bilingual I got through it though

My OH says I do it when talking on the telephone

mental note to me must stop waving my arms about !!!

padfoot
28-Jul-08, 15:26
yip im guilty to i do it practically all the time so do most of my mates

wifie
28-Jul-08, 15:54
I hold my hands up! ;) Guilty also! Doesn't bother me as long as it is not aggressive - please never point at me! [evil]

floyed
28-Jul-08, 16:07
I am guilty of doing it to and so was my dad:eek: My partner often comments on it.

twiglet
28-Jul-08, 16:11
This one had me in a quandry. Am guilty of talking using my hands but find that I do it less now living in Caithness than when I lived in London. So much can also be said without speech using hand gestures and that too has become less now I am in Caithness, almost non existant in fact. Wifie, I would never dream of pointing at you. Hubbie on the other hand......:D

joxville
28-Jul-08, 17:16
I've never had a problem with people that talk with their hands-the one's that annoy me are those who talk with their mouth's, thinking that what they have to say is so important. Rather strangely, I find it seems to afflict 'celebrities' more than it does normal people, namely Jamie Oliver, Gordon Ramsey et al.

domino
28-Jul-08, 23:16
It takes all kinds.Do not see any harm in it

TBH
29-Jul-08, 00:19
The late, great Magnus pyke did this and I really enjoyed listening to him. The hand gestures mean nothing unless you have some sort of strange phobia that perhaps needs treatment by a trained psychologist.

TBH
29-Jul-08, 00:28
And another thing, what about body language, its a natural way of behaving.
Should we all stand stock still, never blinking or smiling or showing any emotion whatsoever to please those that have an affinity to inanimate objects.
It will be a sad day when we all go around like robots.

wifie
29-Jul-08, 00:34
Good point TBH - as body language is a natural thing perhaps gesticulating is too. I would hate my conversation to be stilted because I was worried about moving my hands and arms!

Oddquine
29-Jul-08, 00:40
I know I do it when giving directions (problem sorting out left and right).........but am not aware of doing it in conversation.......though I may well..............but as I mostly converse with myself.......I don't tend to notice.

TBH
29-Jul-08, 00:41
Good point TBH - as body language is a natural thing perhaps gesticulating is too. I would hate my conversation to be stilted because I was worried about moving my hands and arms!Gesticulating is so much a part of body language, which say as much if not more, on a subconcious level at least, as having a conversation does. To not do it would be very wrong and alien to most people.

George Brims
29-Jul-08, 01:09
I don't mind it in principle, or I would be divorced as Mrs B does it all the time. However two things about it really annoy me.

1) People who do it while using the phone in the car - what part of their anatomy are they using to steer????

2) People who say one thing and their hands do another, such as pointing North and saying South, or saying "cut into three pieces" and then doing *three cuts* with the edge of their hand.

Tilter
29-Jul-08, 01:15
Guilty.

However, I object to over-the-top hand waggling when the person is driving, especially when they're also facing you to establish eye contact instead of eyeballing the road.

Also, I get annoyed by male British politicians who seem to have gone to a special gesticulation school where they are taught to put the fingertips of both hands together in a little box-type gesture to portray emphasis, masculinity, strength and confidence rather than waving their hands around in a normal noncy way.

cullbucket
29-Jul-08, 06:02
I think non verbal communication is great, especially in busy places like bars. Plus it helps to make bridges between cultures and allow communication between those who do not speak a common language, we had a term for it "speaking the universal language". i.e. anyone who has experienced the "deek of death" would know it would be a good time to drink up and leave, otherwise you would be experiencing the next level of the universal language, i.e. a plug in the chops.

badger
29-Jul-08, 09:40
Don't have a problem with it but have no idea whether I do it. Will have to watch next time I'm talking to someone. Is this thread going to make us all self-conscious I wonder?

Angela
29-Jul-08, 09:54
Also, I get annoyed by male British politicians who seem to have gone to a special gesticulation school where they are taught to put the fingertips of both hands together in a little box-type gesture to portray emphasis, masculinity, strength and confidence rather than waving their hands around in a normal noncy way.

LOL Tilter, I'd been assuming they'd been taught to use that particular gesture, accompanied by a look of deeply thoughtful concern, to buy themselves time while they desperately thought of the next plausible thing to say...or possibly that they were praying! :roll:

Or it could be NLP, where you anchor positive thoughts, but most people only need to use one finger and thumb to do that. :confused

helenwyler
29-Jul-08, 10:26
I confess to being a moderate gesticulator :D!

But (and I'm up for the Loony of the Week title here) I notice it most when I'm talking to myself :eek:, or rehearsing something tricky or complicated I have to explain to someone. It helps me tease out the right words, and I often find myself pacing round the room at the same time :lol:.

northener
29-Jul-08, 16:21
I confess to being a moderate gesticulator :D!

But (and I'm up for the Loony of the Week title here) I notice it most when I'm talking to myself , or rehearsing something tricky or complicated I have to explain to someone. It helps me tease out the right words, and I often find myself pacing round the room at the same time :lol:.

Yup, you're a complete looneytune, Helen.

Having said thet, I'm firmly a graduate of the 'Magnus Pike School of Explanation.:D