PDA

View Full Version : Wick Gala Floats

COACHMAN
26-Jul-08, 21:27
Another great parade of floats tonight the judges will have a hard time picking the best one.
Hope they collected a lot of money to make up for the missing money noticed a couple of floats with solgans on them about this

Alice in Blunderland
26-Jul-08, 21:48
It was a lovely evening a lot of hard work and effort has gone into the whole event well done all :)

Kids loved the circus float the most maybe its because they were delighted at the clown losing his trousers :lol:

Venture
26-Jul-08, 22:24
Was the circus float the same one as at the Castleown Gala? I didn't manage to get to see the Gala tonight. What were the themes of some of the floats?

ANNIE
26-Jul-08, 22:38
Well done to everyone who took part thought it was excellant lots of hard work really enjoyed it

teenybash
26-Jul-08, 22:46
Would love to see some pics posted...........I wasn't able to go.....so missed the lot.................................:~(

Snarfer
26-Jul-08, 23:03
Catnip got first for adult waker for her version of new wick high:cool:

Fran
27-Jul-08, 01:20
Did anyone feel that the usual atmosphere was missing during the parade and after? I didn't think there were as many people out on the streets watching the floats, but i thought there was an increase in the number of foot collectors.
Where did they all go afterwards, the pubs were quite empty, i was very surprised?

gemma89
27-Jul-08, 09:39
Wot pubs wer u in cos everywher i went it was packed!!

SNOWDOG
27-Jul-08, 09:45
Too right, all the pubs were well heavin with locals and holidaymakers, the streets also were as busy as ive seen them. Well done to the Circus float too! :)

MileHigh
27-Jul-08, 10:48
Have to Agree The turn out was very Impressive. Even after the difficult time in the press recently with the money problems the Town came together. Well Done Everyone. Well Done Wick

ocd
27-Jul-08, 11:03
Was the circus float the same one as at the Castleown Gala? I didn't manage to get to see the Gala tonight. What were the themes of some of the floats?

Yes I believe the circus float was the one from Castletown.

The floats I remember off the top of my head were:

T in the Park/Wicks Dry Train
Pugwash Lane
Peter Pan
Mr Men
Toy Shop
Dr Who
Alice in Wonderland (I think!)
Kung Foo Panda
A western style one which I think was having a dig at the missing money!

There were possible a few others but cant think what they were.

In reply to Fran: I agree the usual atmosphere I felt was missing, shame because its one of the few highlights of the summer in Wick.

So does anyone know the prize winners??

actros
27-Jul-08, 12:13
My only disapointment with the night was that the foot collectors seemed more interested in chasing their mates than stopping to take money from people

katarina
27-Jul-08, 14:23
Yes I believe the circus float was the one from Castletown.

The floats I remember off the top of my head were:

T in the Park/Wicks Dry Train
Pugwash Lane
Peter Pan
Mr Men
Toy Shop
Dr Who
Alice in Wonderland (I think!)
Kung Foo Panda
A western style one which I think was having a dig at the missing money!

There were possible a few others but cant think what they were.

In reply to Fran: I agree the usual atmosphere I felt was missing, shame because its one of the few highlights of the summer in Wick.

So does anyone know the prize winners??

I believe the circus one came first. You didn't mention the spaceship with the dialecs following - I thought it was bound to be a winner.

ocd
27-Jul-08, 17:15
I believe the circus one came first. You didn't mention the spaceship with the dialecs following - I thought it was bound to be a winner.

Think you will find that was Dr Who which I did mention. :D

Venture
27-Jul-08, 17:27
Thanks ocd for posting the info about the floats. I look forward to seeing the photos on the front page.

Mr P Cannop
27-Jul-08, 18:35
just heard that some one fell of 1 of the floats hope they are ok ??

trix
27-Jul-08, 19:38
Catnip got first for adult waker for her version of new wick high:cool:

weel done catnip ;)

Camra
27-Jul-08, 20:16
i thought the idea of having the Gala Queen presentation in the Market Sq is a vast improvement, with a huge crowd that doesnt happen at the Boating Shed. Live music in the Market Sq after the procession went down extremely well, again with a huge crowd and folk up dancing. Well done Eyes of the North, shame the second band Extravasticturtlemansaur (EVT ?) didnt get to play. Pity the weather turned damp & foggy at 9pm. I thought the atmosphere was great and had an excellent night out.

AfternoonDelight
28-Jul-08, 16:30

Think you will find that float was just aliens in general. :D

Fran
30-Jul-08, 01:34

The float was called the Aliens by the Black stairs people. the daleks were part of their float