PDA

View Full Version : Castletown Sewer pipe works

saffy100
13-Dec-05, 11:41
Has anyone noticed that they are going through the old land fill site. I didn't think they were allowed to dig up landfills once they had been covered over and plants etc were established, there are deer living in there and i wonder what will be done with the little wooden animals.

Big G
13-Dec-05, 22:02
Where abouts is the old landfill site? is it 'round the harbour'? near the big house when you are going down the road (not the road on the road to dunnet, the other road?) :confused:

Astra
13-Dec-05, 23:08
They can dig through as long as they meet the sepa requirments and replace any plants and wooden animals .lol Because it well needed sewage system . and scottish water are upgrading all sewage in scotland .There is a new waste water treatment works being built at thurso east at this moment in time .

Big G
13-Dec-05, 23:30
They can dig through as long as they meet the sepa requirments and replace any plants and wooden animals .lol Because it well needed sewage system . and scottish water are upgrading all sewage in scotland .There is a new waste water treatment works being built at thurso east at this moment in time .

This does not answer my question to where it is?
also, why cant u dig up landfill sites?

pedromcgrory
14-Dec-05, 00:54
yes it it on way down to harbour other way from dunnet it leads you down through from the main shop heading towards the sea and leads out to the dunnet turn off on main road

saffy100
14-Dec-05, 11:37
I agree the work is long overdue on the system. My concern was that landfills can create gasses etc underground, which are fine if undisturbed...but as you say i'm sure SEPA will be monitoring the situation. The company dug a test hole before the work started and there was a pile of everything from window frames to paint tins, carrier bags and general junk came out of it, i was amazed at the amount of rubbish.

Astra
15-Dec-05, 21:10
Most land fill site has duct pipe sticking out the ground to release the gases so thats theres no gas build up .