PDA

View Full Version : Halkirk Games - Cost?

happy_83
25-Jul-08, 14:41
Hi

Can anyone advise what the cost is to get into the Halkirk games?

I can’t see it listed on their posters or website and would like to know before turning up tomorrow :)

Thanks

padfoot
25-Jul-08, 18:25
The Inverness Courier (http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/calendar/index.php)

Halkirk Highland Games Contact phone: 01847 831287. 26 July, 2008 ..... 10.00am - 6.00pm 1st & 2nd August 2008 Admission £10.00 Free entry for children ...

I couldn't find the specific info on the link above but looks like it may be £10 and free for kids, does that sound about right?????????

*Martin*
25-Jul-08, 18:29
Bloom eck! I thought it was about £3 last year/the year before!!!

padfoot
25-Jul-08, 18:31
Well one page i read stated £10 (kids free) covered summit to eat or summit in clan tent canna find a price lower than that but perhaps there is one

shame they haven't advertised the prices properly, there is a contact number there

found somewhere last years prices which were £3 and £2 for children and concessions so it is likley to be nearer that, the ten pound must be for admission with extras

footie chick
25-Jul-08, 18:39
Cost is £5.00 for adults £2.00 for OAPS and children and £2.00 for car park.

david
25-Jul-08, 23:46
Given that the HHGC have recieved so much cash from N Power albeit indirectly from the Halkirk Community Benefit Fund towards their nice new store, surely everyone should benefit by free admission-or I am missing something?

DeHaviLand
25-Jul-08, 23:53
Given that the HHGC have recieved so much cash from N Power albeit indirectly from the Halkirk Community Benefit Fund towards their nice new store, surely everyone should benefit by free admission-or I am missing something?

You're missing something alright:roll:. If that cash went towards the store, how can it possibly be used to subsidise admission to the Highland Games?

Elenna
25-Jul-08, 23:54
How does a would-be competitor register for an athletic event/events? (Specifically the under-16 foot races). Do they have to show up early, before the Games opens, or just be there in good time before the event(s)?

DeHaviLand
25-Jul-08, 23:59
An under 16foot race? Thats not going to last long! Whats wrong with the 100 metres?:)

Turn up early and go to the registration tent, or marquee.

Elenna
26-Jul-08, 00:09
:lol: Yes, its late, and my typing (and brain) need to get to bed. Thanks for the info, DeHaviLand...my son will enjoy his short races! ;)

david
26-Jul-08, 00:12
You're missing something alright:roll:. If that cash went towards the store, how can it possibly be used to subsidise admission to the Highland Games?

Okay, well the HHGC had around 9K which would amount to around 1800 entrants to the games ground if all charged a fiver- So what is the population of Halkirk? about the same I would guess... So let's see a small amount of" Community Benefit" from the windfarms that have provided this store be used to give free entrance to the communities in the area.

Hibeechick
26-Jul-08, 09:35
Okay, well the HHGC had around 9K which would amount to around 1800 entrants to the games ground if all charged a fiver- So what is the population of Halkirk? about the same I would guess... So let's see a small amount of" Community Benefit" from the windfarms that have provided this store be used to give free entrance to the communities in the area.

Now tell us David...will you be making an appearance at the games today?

binbob
26-Jul-08, 10:42

a bad case of sour grapes perhaps..??

Bloo
26-Jul-08, 12:04
When about does the dance start?

david
26-Jul-08, 12:37
a bad case of sour grapes perhaps..??

Not at all. Why should I have? All I am trying to do is highlight the fact that at least some of the Halkirk Community Benefit Fund-set up to benefit the local communities is IMHO not benefiting many. Whats so wrong in allowing free admittance to local folks when the HHGC have so much in their coffers-and continue to benefit from organisations that purport to support the local communities?

david
26-Jul-08, 12:41
Now tell us David...will you be making an appearance at the games today?

Perhaps, I have a few items to put in the new store which as you know is for the benefit of the community, not as you might imagine for the benefit of the Games Committee. A fiver for a years storage seems pretty good to me!

DeHaviLand
26-Jul-08, 12:41
When about does the dance start?

Eh?:confused

Buttercup
26-Jul-08, 13:45

Perhaps, I have a few items to put in the new store which as you know is for the benefit of the community, not as you might imagine for the benefit of the Games Committee. A fiver for a years storage seems pretty good to me!

So is the store for the Games or the community then? You appear to be in two minds about it. :confused

binbob
26-Jul-08, 13:54

why not store urself in their for the next year...hahaha:lol:

Jalna
26-Jul-08, 16:24
The cost was £5.00 adults, £2.00 for children and OAP's and £1.00 for the car park and £2.00 for the programme.

We had to come away early because of the heat. It was well worth going to and if you jump into your car now you can still see loads of things. :D

david
26-Jul-08, 17:03
So is the store for the Games or the community then? You appear to be in two minds about it. :confused

I am informed by a member of the games committee that the store is for the Games. You can only make your own mind up.

david
26-Jul-08, 17:06
why not store urself in their for the next year...hahaha:lol:

I would quite happily do this but this may benefit the community-it does not benefit the games committee. Why don't you store yourself in a shed for the next year? Is this the limit of your intellect?

hotrod4
26-Jul-08, 17:28
I would quite happily do this but this may benefit the community-it does not benefit the games committee. Why don't you store yourself in a shed for the next year? Is this the limit of your intellect?

Have you not got over this Halkirk money fund yet david?
I thought you would have forgotten about this by now :) or maybe if you keep going on they will give you money to be quiet ;)

BRIE
26-Jul-08, 17:37
The cost was £5.00 adults, £2.00 for children and OAP's and £1.00 for the car park and £2.00 for the programme.

We had to come away early because of the heat. It was well worth going to and if you jump into your car now you can still see loads of things. :D

heat was unbelievable!!! my hat goes off to all the contestants for performing in that heat. had a great day, only disappointment was there wasnt an ice cream to be had anywhere:(

Mik.M.
26-Jul-08, 17:48
Just got back from the Halkirk Games and throughly enjoyed it,wish I`d got there earlier. Our first Highland Games and can I say how well organised it was. Great day out. Sorry oot!

binbob
26-Jul-08, 18:07

maybe urs is equal...

Kenn
26-Jul-08, 19:10
Great day had by all despite some sunburnt noses!

gollach
26-Jul-08, 19:20
Just back from a scorching afternoon at the Halkirk Games. :cool:

Well done to all the people behind the games, what a great day!

padfoot
26-Jul-08, 19:23
yeah me too not long back kids really enjoyed it was tiriring and really hot but was funn got back and downed 2 pints of juice lol

david
26-Jul-08, 20:38
maybe urs is equal...

Maybe we can share a shed for the benefit of the community!! Has everyone got their eyes closed?

david
26-Jul-08, 20:46
[quote=hotrod4;411621]Have you not got over this Halkirk money fund yet david?
I thought you would have forgotten about this by now :) or maybe if you keep going on they will give you money to be quiet ;)[/quote

I have at least 20 odd windmills outside to remind me.

cazmanian_minx
26-Jul-08, 20:48
Great day out - first time I've ever been to a highland games and I took over 200 photos! I've put a few in the photography forum:

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=53691

changilass
26-Jul-08, 22:25
Have to say that it wouldn't have mattered how much it cost, the look on the wee mans face for most of the day was priceless and his excitement everytime the pipe bands came out was great.

binbob
27-Jul-08, 10:18
Maybe we can share a shed for the benefit of the community!! Has everyone got their eyes closed?

shuks,david..i am a RESPECTABLE woman...

david
27-Jul-08, 19:27
shuks,david..i am a RESPECTABLE woman...

I can assure you anything you have, I have seen many times afore!

stewart4364
27-Jul-08, 21:27
David must have very sore shoulders with having to carry 1 or maybe 2 chips on them. Quite a few of the comments are wrong -- entrance fee was not £10 with children free, adults were charged £5 and OAPs and children were charged £2. This I believe was the same as last year. If you consider that you could attend the games from 10am (Piobaireachd starts at 10am with the games proper at 12.10) to approximately 17.30 a total of 7 1/2 hours which I feel is very good value for £5 or £2. Quite a few folk would probably not blink an eyelid when they are charged over a fiver for a packet of fags or about £2 for a pint of beer.
People must remember that although the Halkirk Highland Games takes place on only one day as do many other festivities in the area with galas lasting up to a week preparations and a lot of very hard work is carried out by a dedicated bunch of people throughout the year not just the little bit you see on the day or the week of the event. I assume that David probably is a stalwart of the local community or is he just a moaning minnie.
The Halkirk Highland Games do get money from firms and individuals alike who sponsor them year on year. But what you have to consider is that the games prize money this year was approximately £22000, no I have not added to many zeroes. Yesterday games were held in glorious weather meaning that they attracted a fair sized crowd but many a year can be very poorly attended because of poor weather as was the case in the last couple of years. It is not often the games has the benefit of such nice weather as was experienced yesterday. Prize money is still paid out even if there is a poor crowd in attendance. Many of the competitors from home and abroad believe that the Halkirk Highland Games is one of the best and most organised with a continuation of events throughout the day of all the games that they attend. This obviously testifies to all the hard work and preparation carried out by the committee and other helpers which makes them the best and these same competitors come back year after year. Someone must be doing something right.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank the committee of Halkirk Highland games for providing a most enjoyable day where you meet many people from other countries. (All the other organisations throughout the County have also got to be thanked for all the hard unpaid work carried out by them over the year. Without them there would not be any events held in the County)

ONCE AGAIN A BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYONE --- See you all next year.
I have hardly missed the games over many decades no matter what the weather was on the day.

Now David stop moaning and do something constructive by going along to your nearest community event, roll up your sleeves and help you will then realise how much work goes on behind yhe scenes.

changilass
27-Jul-08, 21:42
Well said Stewart

david
27-Jul-08, 21:43
David must have very sore shoulders with having to carry 1 or maybe 2 chips on them. Quite a few of the comments are wrong -- entrance fee was not £10 with children free, adults were charged £5 and OAPs and children were charged £2. This I believe was the same as last year. If you consider that you could attend the games from 10am (Piobaireachd starts at 10am with the games proper at 12.10) to approximately 17.30 a total of 7 1/2 hours which I feel is very good value for £5 or £2. Quite a few folk would probably not blink an eyelid when they are charged over a fiver for a packet of fags or about £2 for a pint of beer.
People must remember that although the Halkirk Highland Games takes place on only one day as do many other festivities in the area with galas lasting up to a week preparations and a lot of very hard work is carried out by a dedicated bunch of people throughout the year not just the little bit you see on the day or the week of the event. I assume that David probably is a stalwart of the local community or is he just a moaning minnie.
The Halkirk Highland Games do get money from firms and individuals alike who sponsor them year on year. But what you have to consider is that the games prize money this year was approximately £22000, no I have not added to many zeroes. Yesterday games were held in glorious weather meaning that they attracted a fair sized crowd but many a year can be very poorly attended because of poor weather as was the case in the last couple of years. It is not often the games has the benefit of such nice weather as was experienced yesterday. Prize money is still paid out even if there is a poor crowd in attendance. Many of the competitors from home and abroad believe that the Halkirk Highland Games is one of the best and most organised with a continuation of events throughout the day of all the games that they attend. This obviously testifies to all the hard work and preparation carried out by the committee and other helpers which makes them the best and these same competitors come back year after year. Someone must be doing something right.
I would like to take this opportunity to thank the committee of Halkirk Highland games for providing a most enjoyable day where you meet many people from other countries. (All the other organisations throughout the County have also got to be thanked for all the hard unpaid work carried out by them over the year. Without them there would not be any events held in the County)

ONCE AGAIN A BIG THANK YOU TO EVERYONE --- See you all next year.
I have hardly missed the games over many decades no matter what the weather was on the day.

Now David stop moaning and do something constructive by going along to your nearest community event, roll up your sleeves and help you will then realise how much work goes on behind yhe scenes.

Been misquoted on this one. Myself and my partner had a good day at the games. My point was about the games store funded by windmill money which considering the games are over 100 years old can hardly be considered.. Nah .. I just can't be arsed.

L Mackenzie
28-Jul-08, 09:26
Well David I am glad you managed to attend the Games and enjoyed your day out.

I am also glad that you stopped yourself from whining on about the store in your last post as this thread, from what I could see, was actually someone asking how much the admission was to get into the games and not another thread for you to moan about money being given towards the new storage shed.

padfoot
28-Jul-08, 09:52
Well one page i read stated £10 (kids free) covered summit to eat or summit in clan tent canna find a price lower than that but perhaps there is one

shame they haven't advertised the prices properly, there is a contact number there

found somewhere last years prices which were £3 and £2 for children and concessions so it is likley to be nearer that, the ten pound must be for admission with extras

This is the prices i found for this year and last year and at no point stated these were correct prices. So comment wasn't wrong was just trying to help. The £10 and free for kids must be an option or the prices wouldn't be quoted on the web. The ten pound option had extras, which ended up only a pound more than i had to pay for me and my two kids anyway.

hotrod4
28-Jul-08, 11:10
[quote=hotrod4;411621]Have you not got over this Halkirk money fund yet david?
I thought you would have forgotten about this by now :) or maybe if you keep going on they will give you money to be quiet ;)[/quote

I have at least 20 odd windmills outside to remind me.

Your lucky I have none! Wouldnt mind even if I did, as the money benefits the whole community,well most people are happy with the outcome except..............