PDA

View Full Version : Memories o grannies cooking

arana negra
25-Jul-08, 13:12
What wonderful foods did your gran cook ?

One of mine was a ace baker, her tatties scones were superb as were her coffee mousse desserts, Sponges too big to get in your mouth and oatcakes to die for. She also cooked cod roe and tripe for granda UGH awful stuff sorrry about pun !

My other gran used to do what we thought were odd things, like put a mealie pudding on top of the mince while it was cooking or a sausage roll HMMMMM I loved them both.

I had an aunt who I will always remember for her delicious treacle tarts and my 12 cousins :)

hell raizer
25-Jul-08, 15:59
loved my grannie's yellow split pea soup made we a ham shank and her stewed sausages, even though i make them myself they just don't taste the same :(

arana negra
02-Aug-08, 22:54
My dad was a meal miller and we used to have pease meal brose in the mornings till he could not get it any more then mother made us eat porridge UGH loathe the stuff.

arana negra
06-Aug-08, 13:54
Just been reminded of a few dishes we used have.....

Cheesy Eggs

boiled eggs cooled, sliced and layered on bottom of oven proof dish

make a cheese sauce and cover eggs with it top with grated cheese

heat through in oven

the other one was cheesy mash with a fried egg on top

Don't think I would like either of these now.

Welcomefamily
11-Aug-08, 22:59
We use to go to my Grans every Sunday, the whole family which was only about 20 of us then, it was always her Sunday roast and then followed by some wonderful sweets, apple and date crumble, apple rice pudding, apple and cherry sponge, yes they had lots of orchards so you had apples with most things.

dirdyweeker
12-Aug-08, 00:13
I remember my granny for the Cod Liver Oil she spooned in to us every time we visited. That and Malt...a whole tablespoon! I know these were not cooked but she did make a grand flour scone.:)

arana negra
12-Aug-08, 08:14
Glad I was spared the cod liver oil and malt but one gran was determined that I would have some milk of magnesia ............... she soon realised not all wee girls tell lies I was sick just like I said I would be. Can't tolerate the stuff.

Welcomefamily
23-Aug-08, 23:23
Large fruit cakes and cherry cakes.

alanatkie
24-Aug-08, 11:24
Her pancakes hot or the griddle & her irish stew - never had any like it since my mother made it for me a couple of yrs after she died & it was just no the same :( Haven't had any in years maybe i should look for a recipe for it

Housewifie
06-Sep-08, 22:43
Home made bread and cakes.

Welcomefamily
06-Sep-08, 23:04
smoked hams and salmon and rabbit stew.

sassylass
07-Sep-08, 03:10
Fond memories of going to grandparents house for Sunday dinner, the lovely smell of roast lamb and tatties, and my grandfather in the kitchen carving the roast and slipping us children bits of meat to "make sure it was good enough for the table". At the dinner table he would slip us white bread with butter and sugar and wink at us, our little secret (as if our mother didn't notice haha).
Happy days.

wifie
07-Sep-08, 09:33
Being at nana's on pancake makin day and eatin them hot wi butter - mmmmmmmmmm! Griddle scones wi butter and crowdie (wi cream mixed in). Sherry trifle! Or trifle made wi ginger wine for the bairns!

golach
07-Sep-08, 09:52
My memories of my Grannies cooking is especially her Oatcakes and Crowdie, and her drop scones.....mmmmmmm

Bad Manners
07-Sep-08, 10:01
come on I feel deprived now my grand mother was a rubbish cook everthing was either boiled to death or burnt to a crisp.
anybody want to swap grand mothers?

arana negra
07-Sep-08, 10:21
Sadly both my granmas' are long gone and my mother went earlier this year, she made great ginger bread but stopped making it as we ate before it left the cooling rack some days !

Venture
07-Sep-08, 19:55
My Granny made the best mince soup. Her pancakes and home made rhubarb jam were to die for. At New Year she made her own sweet wine. I loved her boiled cod with melted butter and Long Blue tatties served up with pork sausages. Dont ask me why. Carnation Milk whipped up with Jelly. Sugar sandwiches. Clootie dumpling and fruit duff. Oh the memories.

Loved going there for the Creamola Foam too.

arana negra
07-Sep-08, 21:55
Ohhh I remember Cremola Foam I loved the lemon one :) and sugar sandwiches ugh to Carnation Milk though

My brother in law makes the BEST clootie dumpling ever !

wifie
08-Sep-08, 00:19
Recipe for the clootie please AN! :)

wifie
08-Sep-08, 00:21
My Granny made the best mince soup. Her pancakes and home made rhubarb jam were to die for. At New Year she made her own sweet wine. I loved her boiled cod with melted butter and Long Blue tatties served up with pork sausages. Dont ask me why. Carnation Milk whipped up with Jelly. Sugar sandwiches. Clootie dumpling and fruit duff. Oh the memories.

Wow forgot about Carnation milk jellies - yummy! Wonder if I make one will it still taste as good? Do you have the recipe for the mince soup Venture?

flyfifer
08-Sep-08, 17:29

Recipe for mince soup pleeease! Never heard of this before but sounds great...

Venture
08-Sep-08, 17:34
Recipe for mince soup pleeease! Never heard of this before but sounds great...

I'll PM it to you this evening. My family love it, especially in the winter. Very filling followed by a good jam sponge and custard.

Venture
08-Sep-08, 17:36
Wow forgot about Carnation milk jellies - yummy! Wonder if I make one will it still taste as good? Do you have the recipe for the mince soup Venture?

Yes wifie, happy to oblige. I'll PM it to you. I had something on here last year about the Mince Soup and had loads of requests for it.

arana negra
09-Sep-08, 08:38
Recipe for the clootie please AN! :)

He will be here from 9th Oct so will get him to write it down, its the one his mother used to do but its all in his head, probably a handful of this and a good dollop of that :lol: pity he cant make one and bring it with him.

wifie
09-Sep-08, 11:30
Ta muchly AN! :)