PDA

View Full Version : Ullapool Road

Dynamic Sounds
25-Jul-08, 12:48
Was in Ullapool at the weekend for the first time since I went there on the Loyal Proctor with the RNXS in, well a few years ago.

As neither myself nor my dad were sure of the roads, we took the option of going to Dingwall, then up through Garve and along that road, and to be honest this road makes alot of the A9 look look bad.

Most of the route planners we looked at told us to cut off at Lairg and go over that road as it was shorter, but we are quite sure that that road is generally single track.

Has anyone gone over the Lairg road? Or has anyone done both and think the Lairg road is quicker given that it's about 18 miles shorter?

Thanks
Graham

skinnydog
25-Jul-08, 12:52
The shorter distance on the Lairg road is eaten up on the extra time with the single track, loose sheep and the caravans in the summer.
Going via Dingwall is the better option.

Dynamic Sounds
25-Jul-08, 13:01
Thanks skinny, that is what we thought. And you'll prob use more Fuel going over the Lairg way.

So if I get any more business in Ullapool, I'll go by Dingwall, and take a camera to get pics of the scenery cos it was lovely

arana negra
25-Jul-08, 13:01
Been a long long time since I did the Lairg road is it still single track ? love that area and Ullapool.

Is there still a tea room there called Tea by the Sea or something similar ? It was owned by a lovely couple who did home cooking/baking her tomato soup was ace as were the strawberry desserts she made. The shop sold local arts /crafts/ paintings etc and had a few tables for food. They were, if I remember correctly, from either Aus or NZ and were also doing up a place in Forres to open up as tea room. That was back in the 80's I think

Dynamic Sounds
25-Jul-08, 13:12
It was a flying trip for us, but have to say that I will be abck later this year for a longer trip with wife.

I can't remember seeing the place you talked about, but I got lovely food from a chippy called the Seaforth, right on the harbour. And the place I was playing the disco on , The Ceilidh Place, served stovies at the break in the wedding! Was brilliant tasting! They also have a wee cofffee shop and bookshop, so will defo have to take a trip there with the wife.

arana negra
25-Jul-08, 13:22
It was on the front about half way along I think. I must get back up that way in the near future. I used to go that way when heading up to Stoer, NOW that is a place I WILL go to back to. I still have a picture in myhead of a derelict farnhouse on a hillside which I used to go and sit beside soaking in the views and atmosphere. Heaven on earth it was.

Big Sigh :)

gollach
25-Jul-08, 13:32
Last time I went to Ullapool for for Loopallu festival at end of September. I went down via Dingwall and back via Lairg, saved about half hour on return leg but you'd easily lose that time at other times of year due to sheep, caravans, etc.

arana negra
25-Jul-08, 13:43
ARGHHH Gollach is that the horny variety, lordy I used to be so scared of gollachs [lol]

weeboyagee
25-Jul-08, 13:55
I travel that road more times than I've had hot dinners - to get the ferry to the land of milk and honey. I've travelled both roads - via Dingwall and via Lairg. I go via Lairg - because it is usually first thing in the morning for the morning boat and you can do it (if you know the raod) in about 2.45 hours. Single track between Lairg and Leadmore Junction (26m) but it's not too bad - you can usually see miles in front of you to see wha'ts coming - with the exception of the part from just west of Lairg to just beyond Rosehall. The 18m between Leadmore and Ullapool is a breeze (except the couple of bends in Elphin and Ardmair).

It is the better scenery wise as well. I much prefer it. I use the Dingwall road only when I am not in Caithness. Also, I use the route via Lairg if I have to go to Aultbea and Poolewe - and that's saying something since the fantastic upgrade of the road between Achnasheen and Kinlochewe - the A9 looks positively shabby north of Dornoch in comparison - until you get to Helmsdale of course! ;)

WBG :cool: