PDA

View Full Version : Woohoo!

Oddquine
25-Jul-08, 02:24
The SNP has taken Glasgow East by 365 votes!

OK..I know it hasn't been a subject here which has interested anyone here.......................but I am chuffed to bits!

Opening the red to celebrate!

laguna2
25-Jul-08, 02:59
Nie to see you are happy - party in Lybster then?

Oddquine
25-Jul-08, 03:04
By all means........but bring your own bottle.............I've rattled through mine at a rate of knots!

hotrod4
25-Jul-08, 06:56

OK..I know it hasn't been a subject here which has interested anyone here.......................but I am chuffed to bits!

Nice choice of colour of wine ;)
Was hoping the nats wouldnt get in but hey I've still got my looks to keep me happy!!!!!

Melancholy Man
25-Jul-08, 08:27
This is only good in the way that Hiroshima was good for Japan. Fish-heid is an opportunistic and slightly unsavoury chancer like a teenager given extra pocket money who now thinks he's a fully-fledged adult, and the SNP does not have the history/kudos of leftism that Glasgow East wants. What it didn't want, either, was to be assumed of its vote by a party chief who wouldn't even visit but did, a week before, tell at least 11,000 of its constituents to pick up litter.

Brown, out, out, out. Iraq was simply a mistake, what hey. In general, though, you're an absolutely disaster.

cd1977
25-Jul-08, 08:51
The weegies are revolting :cool:

Looks like Broon's on a shoogly peg. Pity the alternatives are just as bad, if not worse.

Cameron for next PM - I dread the prospect.

cuddlepop
25-Jul-08, 08:58

You nad me both .I've been singing "Zippidy doo daa ,zippy do,my aw my what a wonderfull day"
Kids think I've cracked as its dull and overcast.:lol:

Melancholy Man
25-Jul-08, 09:00
Cameron for next PM - I dread the prospect.

And to everyone who wanted rid of Tony Blair so badly, see what happens?

scotsboy
25-Jul-08, 12:20
This is only good in the way that Hiroshima was good for Japan. Fish-heid is an opportunistic and slightly unsavoury chancer like a teenager given extra pocket money who now thinks he's a fully-fledged adult, and the SNP does not have the history/kudos of leftism that Glasgow East wants. What it didn't want, either, was to be assumed of its vote by a party chief who wouldn't even visit but did, a week before, tell at least 11,000 of its constituents to pick up litter.

Brown, out, out, out. Iraq was simply a mistake, what hey. In general, though, you're an absolutely disaster.

They got what they voted for.

skinnydog
25-Jul-08, 13:00
By all means........but bring your own bottle.............I've rattled through mine at a rate of knots!

That looks like binge drinking, I believe that the SNP are against binge drinking!

weeboyagee
25-Jul-08, 14:05
Brown on the tele saying that he's getting on with the job - no mention of apology to the Glasgow East voters, no mention of listening to their protest, no mention of Curran fighting a good fight??? Third safest seat in Scotland, 22nd safest in the UK - and an attitude like that - if hell doesn't mend that man, the voters will at the next election. I dare say that Glasgow East's protest may well reverse itself at the GE in 2010 but for Mr Brown's sake he better hope that the economy (Global and National) has turned the corner with results to show before then or he's out and so are a lot of his party members. Captains of sinking ships tend to go down with them, but the crew will abandon the ship rather than risk sinking with their captain! If the ship can be saved, they'll soon get rid of the captain - any Politican who thinks that they should all stand by him is brown-nosing (do pardon the pun ;)) or a liar and is quite happy to put their future employment at risk. They should watch out - lest they become litter-pickers! :D

WBG :cool:

teenybash
25-Jul-08, 14:17
Glad to see the Gasgow Eastenders have had the courage to put their money where their mouth is.....................and have let Mr Brown and his party know just how unwanted they are. It may well be down to 'Protest votes' but this government needs to sit up and listen.
And besides all that...I'm just glad the SNP took the seat.....so listen up all you Tories and Lib Dems too.:Razz

Melancholy Man
25-Jul-08, 14:28
I would rather have seen the LibDems get in. That's how bad it is.

They got what they voted for.

Fortunately, I've seen you make similarly vacuous comments towards others, so know this ain't personal. Couple of thoughts:

a) It's easy to edit any quoted text selection, and not embolden one selection. Under most circumstances, it's possible to extrapolate from the response, the poster's intention. However, having become familar with your MO of couching comments in plausible deniability, I strongly suspect it's a deliberate attempt to deceive;

b) This is, thus, worse than lying. A liar simply makes false statements with the intention of passing them off as fact. This, however, is *misleading*. Fact or truth do not matter, just being in a position of control. It's the Isidor approach. Did I deny the voters voted for someone else? No. Did I attempt to run them into the ground and completely destroy them personally and intellectually and morally? No. So what was the point of that response?

TBH
25-Jul-08, 15:18
Well done to the SNP, lang may your lum reek.

scotsboy
25-Jul-08, 19:11
I would rather have seen the LibDems get in. That's how bad it is.

Fortunately, I've seen you make similarly vacuous comments towards others, so know this ain't personal. Couple of thoughts:

a) It's easy to edit any quoted text selection, and not embolden one selection. Under most circumstances, it's possible to extrapolate from the response, the poster's intention. However, having become familar with your MO of couching comments in plausible deniability, I strongly suspect it's a deliberate attempt to deceive;

b) This is, thus, worse than lying. A liar simply makes false statements with the intention of passing them off as fact. This, however, is *misleading*. Fact or truth do not matter, just being in a position of control. It's the Isidor approach. Did I deny the voters voted for someone else? No. Did I attempt to run them into the ground and completely destroy them personally and intellectually and morally? No. So what was the point of that response?

Come down from your ivory tower, not so melancholy man. I simply made a statement, based on your post. I agree that the East End of Glasgow has a long history of left wing/labour/working class political representation and that it was those very people who decided to vote in the SNP. I understand the swing was somewhere in the region of 22% away from labour, now for something like that to happen, the population must have voted for something they perceived would give them more than they were currently being offered.

northener
25-Jul-08, 19:54
Going off at a tangent:

I find peoples' reactions to this situation a little bizarre.

I'm not a great fan of the SNP, but they won and that's that.

A lot of people are bandying around the idea that a lot of this is simply 'protest votes' by people who wouldn't normally touch the SNP with a caber. This appears to meet with general nodding of heads by the pundits and the Great Unwashed alike.

But on another thread, someone stated that although they would not like to see the BNP in power, they voted for them as a 'protest vote'.

Result? General howls of derision and accusations of being a Nazi.

Sooooo, can we safely assume that anyone who 'protest votes' for the SNP is a rabid nationalist on the extreme edge of Scottish politics? And please don't tell me that Scots extremists don't exist...I've met some.

Answers on here if you would be so kind.........

TBH
25-Jul-08, 20:45
Going off at a tangent:

I find peoples' reactions to this situation a little bizarre.

I'm not a great fan of the SNP, but they won and that's that.

A lot of people are bandying around the idea that a lot of this is simply 'protest votes' by people who wouldn't normally touch the SNP with a caber. This appears to meet with general nodding of heads by the pundits and the Great Unwashed alike.

But on another thread, someone stated that although they would not like to see the BNP in power, they voted for them as a 'protest vote'.

Result? General howls of derision and accusations of being a Nazi.

Sooooo, can we safely assume that anyone who 'protest votes' for the SNP is a rabid nationalist on the extreme edge of Scottish politics? And please don't tell me that Scots extremists don't exist...I've met some.

Answers on here if you would be so kind.........

.Here's a radical idea, maybe people voted for the SNP because they want change for the better.

northener
25-Jul-08, 20:56
Maybe they did TBH, and to those that voted for change - jolly good luck to them. But the general consensus in the media appears to be one of a 'protest vote' by more than a few Labour voters.

I'm not trying to belittle the SNP's achievement, merely pointing an apparent (to me anyway) hypocrisy regarding attitudes to 'protest votes' - depending on which party you decide to back in your 'protest'.

Highland Laddie
25-Jul-08, 21:23
I agree Gordon Brown has made a few mistakes,
but he has unfortunately taken over the reins of the country just prior to a World wide recession. Personally, I would rather have Brown at the helm than any of the other muppets.

TBH
25-Jul-08, 21:52
Maybe they did TBH, and to those that voted for change - jolly good luck to them. But the general consensus in the media appears to be one of a 'protest vote' by more than a few Labour voters.

I'm not trying to belittle the SNP's achievement, merely pointing an apparent (to me anyway) hypocrisy regarding attitudes to 'protest votes' - depending on which party you decide to back in your 'protest'.
I'm not acusising you but rather the press. Calling it a protest vote does smack of trying to belittle the SNP's achievements of winning in a labour stronghold.
They can speculate all they like but the proof of the pudding will be how many of those so-called protest voters and abstainers will follow suit come a general election.

Oddquine
25-Jul-08, 22:39
I'm not acusising you but rather the press. Calling it a protest vote does smack of trying to belittle the SNP's achievements of winning in a labour stronghold.
They can speculate all they like but the proof of the pudding will be how many of those so-called protest voters and abstainers will follow suit come a general election.

As a rabid SNPer I'm not yet convinced that it is any more than a protest vote..........and whether it holds at the next general election will very much depend on the honesty and attention to the constituency of John Mason and how they are dealt with over the next 18 months or so.

After all, Labour has been in the driving seat in Glasgow and environs for the last half century at least...............and it has been interesting and informative that, on forums other than this, the only links given to work actually being undertaken to improve the environment/amenities for the poorest areas in Glasgow date from 2005 at the earliest........and most of them have been links to commercial business and housing rather than social housing regeneration and few if any to regenerating communities.

I hope the SNP will endeavour to improve their lot and produce the feelgood factor that has been so sadly missing in those areas for a long long time.

It is about time that the Labour Party learned that a monkey in a red rosette doesn't necessarily cut it in Glasgow anymore.......that people expect more than more of the same.

I trust that the SNP can give them that.

TBH
25-Jul-08, 22:49
As a rabid SNPer I'm not yet convinced that it is any more than a protest vote..........and whether it holds at the next general election will very much depend on the honesty and attention to the constituency of John Mason and how they are dealt with over the next 18 months or so.

After all, Labour has been in the driving seat in Glasgow and environs for the last half century at least...............and it has been interesting and informative that, on forums other than this, the only links given to work actually being undertaken to improve the environment/amenities for the poorest areas in Glasgow date from 2005 at the earliest........and most of them have been links to commercial business and housing rather than social housing regeneration and few if any to regenerating communities.

I hope the SNP will endeavour to improve their lot and produce the feelgood factor that has been so sadly missing in those areas for a long long time.

It is about time that the Labour Party learned that a monkey in a red rosette doesn't necessarily cut it in Glasgow anymore.......that people expect more than more of the same.

I trust that the SNP can give them that.John Mason will do no worse than any former labour incumbent, he may do a lot better, that is what the people of Glasgow East need to realise or perhaps they already have.
The term, 'protest vote', smacks of sour grapes in my opinion but we will all have to wait and see if that is a true or whether the press have called it correctly or not.