PDA

View Full Version : Scrabster Lighthouse

arana negra
24-Jul-08, 23:07
Is it still empty or have they allowed somebody to live there now ? Or has it got another use. My old school pal Jenny was lighthouse keeper there for a while and her husband Alan was on Cape Wrath. Last I heard a few years back they were still in Thurso.

jay
25-Jul-08, 09:36
It's been bought by a couple from Thurso who are currently renovating it to turn it into a home for their family

arana negra
25-Jul-08, 11:20
Thanks for reply, at the time my friend was leaving they tried to buy but I think they were told no. I hope the new people enjoy it, something different from the normal two up two down. I always fancied an old church conversation or a good barn one.

Buttercup
25-Jul-08, 12:19
Is it still empty or have they allowed somebody to live there now ? Or has it got another use. My old school pal Jenny was lighthouse keeper there for a while and her husband Alan was on Cape Wrath. Last I heard a few years back they were still in Thurso.

If it's Jenifer & Alan Law you mean, they still live in Thurso.

arana negra
25-Jul-08, 12:46
Hi and thanks, yes thats them :) must go hunting through address book again and see if still have an address.

arana negra
25-Jul-08, 13:30
WHOOO HOOOO we have found each other :lol: thanks for all help given.

Tighsonas4
25-Jul-08, 18:09
WHOOO HOOOO we have found each other :lol: thanks for all help given.
as a matter of interest when was this. holburn was alwats a 2 man station it was a last posting prior to retiral ???
an ex lightkeeper thanks tony

Kodiak
25-Jul-08, 21:32
I moved to Holburn Head Lighthouse in October 1983. It was then a One Man station and semi-automatic. I lived at Holburn Head but I was stationed at Stroma. I Moved out in 1991 as I left the servce then.

Holburn Head went Fully Automatic in 1988 and was De-Commissioned in either 2003 or 2004. This was due to the Harbour Authority putting a Light on the end of the new Pier in Scrabster.

Melancholy Man
25-Jul-08, 21:37
If it's Jenifer & Alan Law you mean, they still live in Thurso.

The arctophile?

Tighsonas4
25-Jul-08, 21:50
[quote=Kodiak;411329]I moved to Holburn Head Lighthouse in October 1983. It was then a One Man station and semi-automatic. I lived at Holburn Head but I was stationed at Stroma. I Moved out in 1991 as I left the servce then.

Holburn Head went Fully Automatic in 1988 and was De-Commissioned in either 2003 or 2004. This was due to the Harbour
one man station i meant to say.danny sutherland was the last keeper i knew there
spent 6 years in the service but that was joining in 1951
lot changed since my time tony

Tugmistress
25-Jul-08, 21:55
I moved to Holburn Head Lighthouse in October 1983. It was then a One Man station and semi-automatic. I lived at Holburn Head but I was stationed at Stroma. I Moved out in 1991 as I left the servce then.

Holburn Head went Fully Automatic in 1988 and was De-Commissioned in either 2003 or 2004. This was due to the Harbour Authority putting a Light on the end of the new Pier in Scrabster.

The Queen Elizabeth pier went operational in the autumn of 2003.

Kodiak
25-Jul-08, 22:24
Yes I am the Arctophile

Melancholy Man
26-Jul-08, 23:54
<Tries to suppress image of teddy bears on car bonnet>

<Fails>