PDA

View Full Version : Abandoned Dogs

arana negra
24-Jul-08, 22:30
Is this a problem in the area, or indeed in Scotland as a whole ?

I have travelled a lot in the last 3/4 years, countries like Bulgaria where they have the attitude that they would rather feed the strays then put them down. There were a few areas where we saw packs of dogs, mostly in reasonable condition.

In Malta they had a cat feeding station, when I first moved here I was appalled at the amount of dead dogs by the roadsides. That has declined in our area thankfully, the spanish are known for having little regard for dogsas we found out when we had 2 dogs abandoned in the park opposite us in Jan this year. I tried every rehoming rescue center I could find from one end of the country to other and all had the same story FULL to bursting and waiting lists with animals at foster homes. I found out then that many iof the dogs belonged to ex pats returning to their homelands and have not bothered to get the necessary injections/ chip/paperwork done or kept up to date, so they leave behind. We took one little girl in and shortly after the other was rehomed also.

The worst place for the condition of dogs and the amount roaming the streets that I have seen to date was Tobago, seriously thin dogs some with horrendous mange but surprisingly no injured or dead by roads.

arana negra
30-Jul-08, 18:16
107 views and no comments ?

porshiepoo
31-Jul-08, 09:11
Some countries treat their animals horrifically
Greece and its islands are terrible. I am a member of Greek Animal Rescue who do their utmost to get some of the animals rescued and adopted into other countries. The Greek government tries to solve the situation by poisoning the animals and leaving them to die agonizing deaths, it even attempts to stop GAR from adopting them out as they do not want the publicity of their actions in other countries.
The worst cases has to be the owners who kill unwanted pets just because....
There was a case of the German Shepherd who's owner took him into the sea with a rock weighted round his neck and left him, the owners who use a particular tree to hang their pets when they're no longer needed. Sick people, yet these people are reluctant to let Rescue take them, they'd rather watch them starve to death or kill them.

Did you see the Foreign Art Gallery that had a starved dog near to death, tied to a wall in the gallery and called it 'Art'.? People actually looked and allowed it to happen [evil]

Unfortunately, animal cruelty is world wide in one form or another.

arana negra
31-Jul-08, 10:20
Thanks for your reply, cruelty to animals never ceases to shock me. Well done to you for being actively invovled in helping rescue some of them. I hear of a German couple here in Spain who send rescued dogs to their home country. I have heard of poisonings and dogs being killed in many horrific ways, thrown out of cars of highways/drowned left to starve etc

Where is the mentality that allows that type of behaviour ? Here they don't believe in spaying etc rather kill the pups :roll: senseless ... beggars belief. Unfortunately I do not read of many people here being fined for cruelty to animals.

No I did not see that sounds horrific and yet yes some folks will look anything and see 'art'

sad world we live in

skinnydog
31-Jul-08, 11:33
I too am always appalled at any form of animal cruelty. I believe that children should be educated, either at home or at school, from a very early age of the correct way to respect and treat animals and that would make a big difference. Raising awareness is what it is all about.

Knowing our country, it would all come down to funding and there would be no money available in schools to cover it!!

justine
31-Jul-08, 11:51
I too am always appalled at any form of animal cruelty. I believe that children should be educated, either at home or at school, from a very early age of the correct way to respect and treat animals and that would make a big difference. Raising awareness is what it is all about.

Knowing our country, it would all come down to funding and there would be no money available in schools to cover it!!

Why the hell should the children be taught about it at an early age, as unfortunately its normally adults that harm animals, throw them out when they had enough, get drunk beat the dog, kill an ex's beloved pet out of spite.
Most children love and adore animals and even trust them more than there own parents, so i am sorry but that is the biggest load of clack going. Most children dont need to learn to love animals, and we can only guide them in helping them look after them, but they are not the ones that would normally inflict injuries on one..

skinnydog
31-Jul-08, 12:21
Get a grip of yourself. What I have said is educate them not that they are the ones doing the harm.
What are adults but grown up children. If children have half a clue at a young age then there is a chance that when they are older they won't take revenge on animals.

You have lost the plot or the thread. Whichever.

justine
31-Jul-08, 14:43
one does not need to egt a grip on myself. I was merely stating that educating the children does not seem to help when they turn to teenagers shooting defenceless animals for pleasure, nor does it stop them turning into adults and killing animals, by either neglect or starvation, or just down right nastiness. Animals trust us as much a small children, and what education stops them turning into abusers.
I have rescued a few animals and handed them into the appropriate authorities, and have even paid the vet bill for an injured animal to be put to sleep because i would rather that than see them in pain. How many people just ignore the hurt that animals suffer. You see a stray dog, do you take it home try and find the owner or hand it in, most people drive past.

Whichever, is that followed closely by "Am i bovered.":eek: