PDA

View Full Version : Fish for Young Uns - Help

Nibbler
24-Jul-08, 20:58
Hi Everyone

Its been a while since I started a thread but here goes.

I have a seven month old daughter who is doing well on her solids (she likes chicken and her veg and fruit) but I need to try her on fish but find most of the recipes are for cod, haddock and such. The jars of baby food do not have much choice either for fish and I am not really keen on using them but have some in case I forget to take out food from the freezer!! :roll:

I am a real fan of tuna and wondered if anyone out there has made any tuna meals for their little ones and if they could pass on the recipes it would be very much appreciated.

(I am not really one for cooking fish but will do if I cant find other recipes.)

I thought I would give you guys a try. The recipes on here look great and cant wait till she is older and can eat what we eat. The kitchen will really look like a bomb has gone off in it!! :eek:

Any suggestions would be fantastic

Kathy@watten
24-Jul-08, 21:42
LOL she can eat what you eat....cook fish in oven in milk and flake it through some tatties mix up with some peas or whatever she normally likes, if she eats it the next time you can add more fish to tattie ratio! really a fish cake without the ruskoline no salt!

KCI
24-Jul-08, 22:23
Hey Nibbler :lol:

Take a look at http://www.annabelkarmel.com/

There are a few recipes there for babies and toddlers.

Also copied this one from http://www.babyworld.co.uk

Main course: Tuna and broccoli pie
Ingredients
1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
3 spears of broccoli
15g (1/2 oz) butter or margerine
15ml (1 tbsp) plain flour
125ml (4 fl oz) full-fat milk
1 tin (100g) tuna (in water)
Bring a little water to the boil in a saucepan, add the potato and broccoli, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or until tender. Drain and roughly mash.
Meanwhile, melt the butter or margarine in a small saucepan, stir in the flour and slowly add the milk, stirring continuously until the sauce thickens. Turn down the heat and simmer for a minute.
Stir in the mashed vegetables and tuna, transfer to an ovenproof dish and bake in the oven (190 degrees celsius/375 degrees fahrenheit/gas mark 5) for 15 minutes. Alternatively, cook in the microwave for three minutes
Serve lukewarm

http://www.cowandgate.co.uk (http://www.cowandgate.co.uk) have a tuna recipe as well.

Tuna Pasta Bake is always popular - just boil your pasta, make a cheese sauce, add your tuna and some sweetcorn, add some grated cheese and stick it in the oven.

Good Luck! :cool:

Dadie
25-Jul-08, 14:58
Ps If you find she likes certain meals it would be worth batch cooking and storing them in little containers in the freezer so you can lift 1 and zap it in the micro for dinner then if you add frozen peas it should cool the meal down and cook the peas at the same time!

I would poach fish -salmon, tuna ,haddock anything really without small bones and flake it into tatties, carrot, broccoli, cheese sauce etc or I would make fish finger type things by coating small strips of fish (carefully checked for bones) in flour, then egg, then seasoned breadcrumbs and cooked in the oven for 10 mins which are good when you are coming to the finger food stage!

hope this gives you some ideas

Nibbler
25-Jul-08, 20:38
Hi Guys

Many thanks for that. The kitchen will be a bit worse for wear over the weekend but I do like to cook her food myself.

I have chicken meals already in the freezer and (if I keep going at this rate) will be needing a bigger freezer and be eating the meals with my daughter!! :lol:

A trip to the fishmongers tomorrow is a definate.

Thanks again. Very much appreciated :)

ashaw1
01-Aug-08, 18:16
Hi Everyone

Its been a while since I started a thread but here goes.

I have a seven month old daughter who is doing well on her solids (she likes chicken and her veg and fruit) but I need to try her on fish but find most of the recipes are for cod, haddock and such. The jars of baby food do not have much choice either for fish and I am not really keen on using them but have some in case I forget to take out food from the freezer!! :roll:

I am a real fan of tuna and wondered if anyone out there has made any tuna meals for their little ones and if they could pass on the recipes it would be very much appreciated.

(I am not really one for cooking fish but will do if I cant find other recipes.)

I thought I would give you guys a try. The recipes on here look great and cant wait till she is older and can eat what we eat. The kitchen will really look like a bomb has gone off in it!! :eek:

Any suggestions would be fantastic
I bought one of the Annabel Karmel books and couldn't do without it. Even liked some of the recipes so much i adapted them for the rest of the family. She does a great one with tuna which is basically a fresh tomato sauce, a fresh cheese sauce and a tin of tuna mixed with pasta. This one is great to eat with fingers too depending on the size of the pasta you use.

exothermic
02-Aug-08, 16:12
I like tuna very much too, but I wouldn't feed it to little ones because of the raised mercury levels. I'm not one to agree at all food fads, but I'd really steer clear of tuna and young children! Do a quick "Google" on it and see.

When my kids were small they liked skate and lemon sole, but I think with some clever recipes, even Lidl's frozen Pollock can be made quite tasty!

Nibbler
02-Aug-08, 20:30
Hi Exothermic

I did a google and it definately gives you food for thought - pardon the pun. She is eating Salmon quite well just now (I cooked it too!!) so I think the tuna will be on hold for a while. If I had thought about it, I should have known as it was one of the foods to watch whilst being pregnant - doh!! :confused

Hi Ashaw1

I have one of her books here and have been doing all my cooking from it. I have not really cooked fish before and that was why I was going down the tuna route. I have now cooked salmon and think I can cook any fish now - me hopes. As for adapting some of the recipes for the family, sometimes it is a spoonful for daughter, one for me :lol:.

But, thank you all for your input. Very, very much appreciated.