PDA

View Full Version : Dab radio

dessie
24-Jul-08, 15:28
i was ..speaking to a couple of work men who are working on the mast in rumster and they told me that they are upgrading for dab radio and it is possible that we will recive the signal bye the second week in AUGUST....woooppeeee.not before time...

teenybash
24-Jul-08, 16:08
Good news !!!:)

jay
25-Jul-08, 10:55
just been having a look at the OFCOM website, I can't see a licence having been awarded for DAB in this area - the only one I could see was just for Inverness

dessie
25-Jul-08, 11:45
the workmen who are setting it up say they hope to have it ready for switch on..on or around the 8th AUGUST..:Razz

Dynamic Sounds
25-Jul-08, 12:51
It is known that people in Dunbeath and Lybster area can get DAB, so it is possibly that the mast they are putting on Rumster will just be recieving this signal and re-broadcasting it in DAB in Caithness?

Did they give you any ide of what sort of range the DAB will have?

benji
25-Jul-08, 12:54
...nothing on here:

http://www.ukdigitalradio.com/coverage/postcodesearch/

to indicate the upgrade

Loch not Lock
25-Jul-08, 13:31
Great news. Can listen to talksport and George Galloway on Friday and Saturday nights.:D

The macs
25-Jul-08, 22:55
We have DAB radio in Lybster, it's great!:Razz

Loch not Lock
25-Jul-08, 23:38
We have DAB radio in Lybster, it's great!:Razz
What is like living in Lybster?[disgust];)

dessie
26-Jul-08, 19:45
what they are doing is up grading the mast to digital and dab..and as i said they hope to have it ready for broadcast on or around the 8th AUGUST...:Razz

Loch not Lock
07-Aug-08, 17:57
what they are doing is up grading the mast to digital and dab..and as i said they hope to have it ready for broadcast on or around the 8th AUGUST...:Razz
Cheer's Dessie - what is the latest news? I tried to get a DAB signal today with no luck.:(

Stargazer
16-Nov-08, 22:21
Just tried Halkirk postcode into BBC digital radio checker and it comes up with able to receive all the BBC digital radio channels. No mention of commercial channels. Anybody tried reception on a digital radio?

dessie
16-Nov-08, 22:57
the latest news is that there is a problem trying to get the digital set up and dab working at rumster but still hoping to have it working before xmas..will keep you informed...

Bill Fernie
16-Nov-08, 23:05
I was listening to a radio programme reccently about DAB and it was thought that the comercial stations were abandoning any thoughts of going for DAB. The main reason seemed to be that at a time when advertising revenues are shrinking they could not afford the set up costs for equipement etc. That might mean according the speaker that only the BBC would go ahead with it. They also expressed some doubts about it reaching the whole of the UK.

2little2late
16-Nov-08, 23:32
the latest news is that there is a problem trying to get the digital set up and dab working at rumster but still hoping to have it working before xmas..will keep you informed...

Does this explain the often poor Freeview reception?

dessie
04-Jan-09, 18:38
There is still a problem on rumster mast ..trying to set up digital...will keep you,s updated..

Loch not Lock
16-Feb-09, 15:09
What's the latest news, please.:confused

Julia
16-Feb-09, 16:06
...nothing on here:

http://www.ukdigitalradio.com/coverage/postcodesearch/

to indicate the upgrade

I've just tried the postcode search (I'm in Wick) and it says I should be able to receive all the BBC channels. Just off to try my DAB radio now.

Loch not Lock
16-Feb-09, 20:12
I've just tried the postcode search (I'm in Wick) and it says I should be able to receive all the BBC channels. Just off to try my DAB radio now.
My postcode says I should be able to receive lots of stations but I cannot get a squeek.:( Thurso.

Bill Fernie
16-Feb-09, 21:45
I checked the web site for my postcode here in Wick and all of the stations have big green tick but I cannot get anything with my DAB Radio.

Julia
17-Feb-09, 00:55
I too have scanned for digital channels and not one was found, the website did state that an outside aerial may be required to receive these channels.

I'm now off to dangle my DAB radio by it's scrawny little excuse of an aerial, do you think the whirly gig will act as an outside aerial? [lol]

Geo
17-Feb-09, 00:57
It's been a year or so since I read anything about DAB but back then a lot of people online were saying it isn't that great with many stations broadcasting in mono and some stereo stations at low bitrates meaning the sound wasn't as good as it should be. Has this changed?

Metalattakk
17-Feb-09, 01:10
So it seems wee dessie has led us all up the garden path. What a jolly jape, eh? [disgust]

Does dessie perhaps work for a local electrical supplier who has a job lot of DAB radios lying dormant in their warehouse?

Metalattakk
17-Feb-09, 01:16
It's been a year or so since I read anything about DAB but back then a lot of people online were saying it isn't that great with many stations broadcasting in mono and some stereo stations at low bitrates meaning the sound wasn't as good as it should be. Has this changed?

I don't believe so.

DAB is dying in this country. The problem is it isn't as robust and cheap as the European-wide format that superseded it - DAB+.

The BBC and Ofcom have heavily invested in the faltering DAB network, and won't (or can't) upgrade to DAB+, so they're going to flog this particular horse to death and even try to force us to use it eventually. More in-depth info here (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/29/grant_goddard_drwg_analysis/).

How they're gonna do that up here I have no idea, as there have never been plans for transmission in the North Highlands, despite the fabrications from our friend dessie.

Julia
17-Feb-09, 14:22
Well I'm just glad my wee DAB system was half price, it's still good for the ever-reliable Radio 2 and the odd CD ;)

Stargazer
17-Feb-09, 20:54
No digital radio in Halkirk despite BBC website saying we should get good reception. I contacted a website getdigitalnow who thought our digital signal comes from Keelylang Hill in Orkney, this might explain why there is no signal in the middle of Caithness. Rumster does not transmit DAB radio.