PDA

View Full Version : I'm beginning to enjoy it so much....

percy toboggan
23-Jul-08, 20:39
...Gardening. We have two...of modest size back and front but they are now stuffed full of things which grow. Mostly ornamental. I simply love variagated foliage and this looks particularly appealing when contrasted with some very dark leaved plant or other. Weiglea, Eunomous and Elder 'black beauty' work really well together. The last two or three years I've been taking cuttings of some of these and the satisfaction over a few summers at watching them grow is simply splendid. A new dimension to life no less.

My wife this year wanted some wacky ornaments - you know the thing...to fill in the remaining blank spaces..so we now have a scaly backed dragon with a dumb look on his face sucking his 'claws' It weighs a ton! Oh! and a serene Buddha with long, feminine fingers.Not everyone's cup of tea I know.

We'd like to be more practical & grow veg but Morrisons and LIDL are so handy, and we don't really have the room. I'm often to be found of an evening, after I've sounded off on the net out with the watering can in me stockin' feet. Tonight Mrs.T has planted an 'avenue of lavender' the length of the front path, which should give the Postman (and me) wet kecks c. 2010. Maybe we'll get one of those U.S. style 'mailboxes' Twenty quid at LIDL.
Sorry I'm rambling folks but I just thought I'd put an appearance in here...I've only just realised there is gardening section.

wifie
23-Jul-08, 21:53
Lavender is so calming Percy! ;)

Oddquine
24-Jul-08, 11:39
Lavender is so calming Percy! ;)

Then maybe Percy should be attaching a sachet or six to his keyboard! :lol:

Lavender is definitely something I intend to have in my garden, though I don't know the best kind for up here............I don't have the room to take stuff in in the winter.

What has your wife planted, Percy?

wifie
24-Jul-08, 12:53
Then maybe Percy should be attaching a sachet or six to his keyboard! :lol:

Lavender is definitely something I intend to have in my garden, though I don't know the best kind for up here............I don't have the room to take stuff in in the winter.

What has your wife planted, Percy?

I have grown it lots of places Oddquine and I would say it is fairly hardy but I would say make sure you trim it or it gets really woody and unattractive. Is great fun "harvesting" your lavender and then you can have a lovely smell for yer house. I got one called butterfly - it has a lovely wee "butterfly" top to it. (Blimey my Dad would have a fit if he saw me givin gardening tips :eek:).

percy toboggan
24-Jul-08, 17:41
Not sur eof the variety...will have a look...but they were cheap from LIDL.

I took cuttings from a blackberry bush and raspeberry bush today..if they survive it will be a miracle!

I'm calm enough wifie...a burst of road rage directed at me today by a big woman in a old banger...called me a k/head...I was bursting to respond ( in a disgustingly over the top way) but kept my cool and rose above it all. Must be that lavender nosegay I've strapped around me auld neck!

sweetpea
25-Jul-08, 10:42
Lavender has always done really well for me even in some of the more exposed gardens I've planted it in. I've got some in pots as well and as long as it's cut back it's fine. Right now I'm in sweetpea heaven with the smell of them wafting in the sitting room window.

Dadie
25-Jul-08, 14:36
When do you trim the lavender bushes?
i have 3 at the front of the house and 3 at the back and I am thinking about getting some different varieties but dont want them getting straggly!

They have grown well this year but Mum got some at the same time and only 2 out of the 3 have taken in her garden.

wifie
25-Jul-08, 17:13
Try this Dadie -
http://www.norfolk-lavender.co.uk/content/G_Looking.asp

Dadie
27-Jul-08, 21:04
Ta for the link wifie
It looks a good informative site with lots of good advice!

percy toboggan
03-Aug-08, 16:29
I took a few photos...it's looking quite well, in a disorgansied, non-prize winnin' kinda way.
http://aolpictures.aol.co.uk/ap/publicSlideshow.do?shareInfo=KnVVBplenSPdyYs1C0PvP KKZgsb7CQWS5WDz3%2FQa1SWJJdNX5w59hg%3D%3D

wifie
03-Aug-08, 19:54
Thanks for sharin percy - like yer wee dragon! :)