PDA

View Full Version : sun cream

saba
23-Jul-08, 13:38
Just how long is the sun cream that is left from previous year's bottles effective from? I have several bottles left of half used sun cream which I am never sure if I should use or just throw out. :confused:Any ideas?

_Ju_
23-Jul-08, 13:41
Ask the chemist to be sure, but I believe you should use them within a year from opening. Look for a symbol like a jar with an open lid below ingredient list. If it says 12m, you should use with 12 months of opening.
PS: it wouldn't harm you using them, but probably also wouldn't give you the protection you expect if you did use them.

lynne duncan
23-Jul-08, 21:43
dont know about how long they stay in date but the ones we swear by are NO-AD blooming brilliant stuff

saba
24-Jul-08, 20:40
I don't know that brand of sun cream. What kind does anyone else use and why?

canuck
24-Jul-08, 20:56
Your post prompted me to check my own supply. I'm looking forward to a relaxing lunch in the sun tomorrow. I think the cream I purchased in Tescos in Wick 2 years ago is likely beyond its best by date. My new purchase is good until 2010!

I do have a question though. The creams I used in Canada recommended applying it 30 minutes before going out into the sun. The cream I found here today suggests 15 minutes before sun and then again 15 minutes after going out into the sun. Is that a normal way to use UK produced cream, or just a way of selling twice as much?

Fluff
24-Jul-08, 21:10
I always use Soltan. I find it has a good range of SPF's and isn't really expensive (plus I get my discount on it)
Canuck, I don't know why they say different times but I do know that suncream in different parts of the world offer different levels of protection i.e. suncreams from America don't offer full UVA and UVB protection as they don't think it affects you in the same way.
scary