PDA

View Full Version : the central, thurso

BRIE
23-Jul-08, 08:50
went to the central yesterday for lunch with my 2yr old, havent been for a few months but used to go quite regular.Quite like it in here as theres a bouncy castle for the kids but yesterday I really did get the shock of my life!!!
If anyone hasnt been before I will point out that the central is situated on the second floor of the building above the main street in thurso. there are sash windows which go from floor to ceiling with wooden railings round.
my 2 yr old was playing near our table I turned round to see that he was now stood between the railings & the window!! yes he'd managed to get between the railings without any bother what so ever, what was more frightening was the window was open to knee height!! if I hadnt seen him immediately I would hate to think of the outcome as its a fair drop to the street below. So if anyone is in there will toddlers please be aware of this danger!!
Ive written to the owner explaining what happened so heres hoping they act immediately.

Ash
23-Jul-08, 10:41
the place really is disgraceful, its dirty you stick to the floor, the new menu is awful as its soo expensive...it really isnt the kid orrientated place that they make out it is, the bouncy castle has been taped up a hundred times... beside the castle theres holes in the walls

igglepiggle
23-Jul-08, 21:56
this place is a disgrace, we used to go in now and again as the kids always wanted the bouncy castle but we went in a few months ago when the menus changed, walked straight back out, and have never been in since, and i do not intend to go back, the food is all overpriced and always fried, even the kids food, not healthy for them!!! the state of the place is just a disgrace, as ash said it is always dirty and the floor is just disgusting, how they get away with having a place like this for food and kids safety i will never know, i think it is depend who you know etc!!!

*Martin*
23-Jul-08, 22:09
In fairness if you were watching your kid properly they should never have gotten past the railings :roll:

Not keen on the new menu, the food is really over priced. The "french fries" are still the same mushy frozen chips they've always had!

Hopefully they will bring back the old menu sometime soon (I miss club sandwich's)

The place could do with a good clean and a lick off paint (Lord knows he can afford it) The walls beside the bouncy castle always look mouldy/crumbly

Their saving grace has to be their staff though. They are always really friendly and nothing seems like too much hassle!

Sunflower
23-Jul-08, 23:05
I haven't been in the Central for several months now. The last time I went I was appalled by the state of the place. The bouncy castle area was filthy, the seat coverings were ripped, water stains/holes on the walls, and the carpet was sticky. It's such a shame as it used to be a great place to go with bairns. I realise it must be a huge undertaking to run a place like that, but surely a lick of paint and some new upholstery wouldn't break the bank! I also agree that any time I have been in, the staff have been excellent.

davem
23-Jul-08, 23:27
"In fairness if you were watching your kid properly they should never have gotten past the railings"

I for one think that every play area should have a set of revolving knives just to ensure children are watched adequately, perhaps a pirhana pool and snake pit too. Not at all hazardous because parents will be watching their kids properly, and children always take ages to do things so no worries then!

sweetpea
23-Jul-08, 23:35
The place is a dump in need of revival TBH

chamb
23-Jul-08, 23:37
I havent been in the Central for maybe 3 month, and I cant say I have missed it, the food is over priced, and as others have said everything was deep fried. The money they are raking in I am sure they could refurbbish the place every year, and not cut there profits too much.

To say its supposed to be a child friendly place, there is so many areas that could be dangerous. The bouncy castle seems to atract parents with children but it more often than not causes more problems and like ash said it been taped up time and time again. The Windows and railings that Brie Mentioned, The Carpeted area is minging. A kids menu that must be the dearest in the County, and they aint getting anything different.

They have stopped what made them, they only serve snack and a kids menu on sunday now. I dont understand why they are shooting them selves in the foot with every change they make, all I ever hear is bad about the place now.

They must have had feedback, why are they dragging there heals???

*Martin*
23-Jul-08, 23:55
"In fairness if you were watching your kid properly they should never have gotten past the railings"

I for one think that every play area should have a set of revolving knives just to ensure children are watched adequately, perhaps a pirhana pool and snake pit too. Not at all hazardous because parents will be watching their kids properly, and children always take ages to do things so no worries then!

Glad we agree http://www.cindyvallar.com/par-ty.gif

KCI
24-Jul-08, 09:18
We used to go there on a regular basis, but it has been going downhill for a long time now.
The children's play area is a brilliant money making idea with a lot of potential, but if the surrounding area is dirty and scruffy, it puts people off.
We used to think it was great, but the interior was getting worse, the floors were disgusting, and the food started to go downhill as well. The last time we ate there, I was ill for a few days - although I can't prove it was the food.
It used to be the place to go with kids, and I think it's a shame that it's turned out like this.
The staff have always been friendly and helpful and it has always been a friendly atmosphere.
Hopefully someone is reading this, and will try to make the changes that everyone is asking for. A good clean up and repair, a few more safety measures, and the popular menu back where it should be!

BRIE
24-Jul-08, 10:06
[quote=*Martin*;410581]In fairness if you were watching your kid properly they should never have gotten past the railings :roll:

do have to laugh at this comment!!!
You obviously dont have children or have the most controlled children in the world!. Dont know anyone who can say that in a split second their child hasnt done something they shouldnt.
Our table was right next to the railings, my child was stood at the table with me but i didnt expect for 1 minute that the railings wouldnt be to the official 100mm gap they were supposed to be.

*Martin*
24-Jul-08, 10:45
I have two girls actually! I know they can do stuff they shouldn't but I also know that if I am in a situation they are unfamiliar with (i.e. sitting at a table beside an open window on the second floor with only railings to prevent an accident) I am on full alert!

You knew the surroundings yet you still see fit to hoist blame upon someone else

balto
24-Jul-08, 12:11
we went to the centrl a while back, because they are the only place with a play area for the kids, but to be honest wnt be rushing back in a hurry that place has gone downhill fast, the change of menu and the cost the food is a disgrace, even the food doesnt taste as good as what it used to, we have started to take the kids to the legion on a saturday, the food is good and very well priced.

BRIE
24-Jul-08, 16:51
I have two girls actually! I know they can do stuff they shouldn't but I also know that if I am in a situation they are unfamiliar with (i.e. sitting at a table beside an open window on the second floor with only railings to prevent an accident) I am on full alert!

You knew the surroundings yet you still see fit to hoist blame upon someone else

come on now martin! do you honestly think the blame is on me not them for actually taking my child into a so called child friendly place & their safety railings not being to national standards?? do you think i carry a 100mm ball with me everywhere i go to check for this sort of danger?? get real please! & for the record i didnt even notice the window was open when i sat down ( dont usually sit at these tables I usually sit at the ones right next to the bouncy castle so my childs visible to me at all times).
all I can say is I wish I was such a perfect parent that i remember to scan everywhere i take them for dangers before i take my eyes of them for a second:eek:.

plasticjock
24-Jul-08, 16:55
[quote=*Martin*;410581]In fairness if you were watching your kid properly they should never have gotten past the railings :roll:

do have to laugh at this comment!!!
You obviously dont have children or have the most controlled children in the world!. Dont know anyone who can say that in a split second their child hasnt done something they shouldnt.
Our table was right next to the railings, my child was stood at the table with me but i didnt expect for 1 minute that the railings wouldnt be to the official 100mm gap they were supposed to be.

Well..there you go Brie.
'Health & SAFETY Regulations', 'Landlord's Duty of Care', 'Fire/Emergency Evacuation Procedures' etc.,...we wouldn't need any of these legislations if you remained on full alert.
And remember....next time you're in a similar situation and keeping a 'weather eye' on your child, if somebody comes up behind you and taps you on the shoulder, whatever you do, DON'T LOOK ROUND!
...you know what kids are like.

Jeid
24-Jul-08, 20:16
I feel I should reply.

First off, thanks very much for praising the staff, that's always a great thing to hear/read about.

I have to address a few points though.

A few people have criticised the new menu saying the food is overpriced and that they've just walked in, looked at the menu and left. Those people are hardly in a position to say that the food is overpriced if they haven't tried the food. Saying the menu is awful because the food is so expensive is a bit wide of the mark. Saying the food is awful because you think it is expensive isn't a reason. If you'd tried the food and didn't enjoy it, mention it to one of us. We can't improve if you don't say to us.

The kids menu has improved and has healthier options on it. Salads, baked potatoes etc. People have the choice for their children and most of them still choose the fried option. No, not everything is fried. It's a bit of a lose/lose situation here tbh. People complain that everything was fried, but they still want the old menu with... yep, everything fried on it.

I wouldn't say the old menu is what is required. I think if I had a pound for everytime a customer said to me "when are you getting a new menu?" I'd have a lot of money. If I had a pound for every compliment I've heard about the new one, then I'd probably be just as rich.

The problem with people seems to be, that they fear change. When we renovated Top Joes a few years ago, we had people saying "oh, it's not like the old bar." True enough, it's not, but it's a damn site better looking than the old bar. Those people were the ones saying they wouldn't go back or not go in as much... and they're the same ones who are in every week :lol: A couple of people complained about the price change when we implemented the new menu, but they at least tried the food and were very complimentary about when they had. They were very nice and apologised for complaining.

I agree with a few of the points being made though. The place is in desperate need of refurbishment. The carpets are dirty and the seats are dirty. We need a total overhaul. I'm sure it'll happen at some point, but I couldn't possibly say when.

So, a question from me. IF the place was better decorated and tidier, would there be such a gripe about paying the prices for the food?

I'm sure I've missed something, so I'll check back :)

KCI
24-Jul-08, 22:12
I don't mind paying extra for food, if the food is good. And I am all for a healthy kid's menu. I never had a problem with the menu or the prices, rather the food itself. The second last time we were there, I had macaroni cheese, which I usually have. It was cooked differently, and tasted great. The following weekend we were back, and it was cooked differently again, and tasted weird! Someone else at our table said the sausages didn't taste very good.
I can't comment on the new menu, as we haven't been back since, which is a real shame.
It's good of you to come on and address some of the issues that have been raised.
We would love to come back if the place was cleaned up, and the cooking sorted out.
It was always a favourite place for people with kids - we used to come through from Wick regularly, and I know a lot of other people who would come through from Wick just to go there for lunch.
But the problem is that once a place gets a bad reputation, you really need to work hard to get back on track.
Good luck - I really hope the Central can be revived! It has great potential, and the staff are a great asset.

ashaw1
24-Jul-08, 23:07
Well to be honest i was surprised to see the direction in which this thread was going. Myself and my family have travelled through from Wick a few times specifically to have lunch at the Central and had never really found anything negative to say about the place. Yes it maybe needs a bit of a tidy up but there are plenty other places around the area that need the same thing. I would rather take my children to eat somewhere that doesn't raise an eyebrow when my youngest drops a few crumbs on the floor or makes the slightest noise. I think the new menu could be expanded slightly but how is the proprietor to know that unless someone brings this to his attention. Yes patrons safety is a definate priority for any business but i think a quiet word in his ear might have been better placed.

Jeid
24-Jul-08, 23:17
I don't mind paying extra for food, if the food is good. And I am all for a healthy kid's menu. I never had a problem with the menu or the prices, rather the food itself. The second last time we were there, I had macaroni cheese, which I usually have. It was cooked differently, and tasted great. The following weekend we were back, and it was cooked differently again, and tasted weird! Someone else at our table said the sausages didn't taste very good.
I can't comment on the new menu, as we haven't been back since, which is a real shame.
It's good of you to come on and address some of the issues that have been raised.
We would love to come back if the place was cleaned up, and the cooking sorted out.
It was always a favourite place for people with kids - we used to come through from Wick regularly, and I know a lot of other people who would come through from Wick just to go there for lunch.
But the problem is that once a place gets a bad reputation, you really need to work hard to get back on track.
Good luck - I really hope the Central can be revived! It has great potential, and the staff are a great asset.

Thanks for that reply. We are trying to raise the standards and get more consistent. We're getting there slowly.

We want to have customers coming back and we want to keep them happy and for them to tell people about a good experience with the food. Ok, the place is in need of a tarting up, but we'll get there... hopefully sooner rather than later. We're just as desperate for it as the punters.

KCI
25-Jul-08, 08:57
Thanks for that reply. We are trying to raise the standards and get more consistent. We're getting there slowly.

We want to have customers coming back and we want to keep them happy and for them to tell people about a good experience with the food. Ok, the place is in need of a tarting up, but we'll get there... hopefully sooner rather than later. We're just as desperate for it as the punters.

NO problem. As I said, it's good that you have come on to discuss some of the issues raised, and it shows that you are trying to make improvements.
Maybe we'll come back in over the school holidays, and try out the new menu. ;)

Ash
25-Jul-08, 09:04
i went in with my inlaws a month or so ago, intended on just having a drink but they were having lunch and asked me to order something so i had a toastie as nothing else seemed worth the money.... ive been back in with my other half we had cullin skin it was ok, huge bowl of it but not alot of flavour... nothing wrong with updating menu but alot of people wont go in now as the menu doesnt have alot on it....

Jeid
25-Jul-08, 10:04
The new menu has a good selection. The problem we had before was that there was TOO much on the old menu. It was rather large and rather dated. We're trying to go for quality over quantity now.(As I said earlier, we're working on the quality/consistency) To say it doesn't have a lot on it, I find baffling. I've gone into a lot of places for lunch and dinner, away from the county, and been given a much smaller choice.

Next time you're in and you find that your meal isn't what you expected, speak to one of us so we can address the problem for you there and then. If your soup didn't taste as good as you thought, we can't do anything about it after you're out the door.

This is a common problem in Caithness, as I've seen on the recommendation forum time after time. People are more than willing to knock a place, but aren't willing to raise it with staff at the time. We can only improve if we are told that there's a problem. I know some people are gonna say "get the old menu back." But it's not going to happen. We've moved on from that now.

Ash
25-Jul-08, 10:35
the menu may have what you call a good selection, but whats with the price, its every expensive, a breakfast is £7 to £8 if i rememeber as are most burgers

Jeid
25-Jul-08, 10:48
I know there's another place in town with burgers almost as expensive and I'm fairly certain they buy their burgers in. Our burgers are homemade and are half a pound of meat(we do one that's a pound of meat) plus all the trimmings.

Like I've said before, we're trying to up the quality of the food being served. Unfortunately, we can't please everyone all the time.

If you look at your shopping bill, it's gone up in price over the past twelve months... I can't possibly comment on the business side of things accurately, but I can have a guess that we're in the exact same position as a business. Food is costs more these days. I've seen that myself when I go shopping. There's a lot of talk about the price of food in the press.

ks
25-Jul-08, 12:29
Next time you're in and you find that your meal isn't what you expected, speak to one of us so we can address the problem for you there and then. If your soup didn't taste as good as you thought, we can't do anything about it after you're out the door.

I was in a couple of weeks ago and ordered potato and leek soup, it was definately made from a packet or made with powdered potato as you could taste it, I asked the waitress if it was homemade and she said it was. I couldn't eat it as it and explained this politely when she cleared the table, she appologised but that was it. When we were leaving they were changing the specials board from potato and leek to potato and herb!!

I don't think it is too overpriced compared to other similar places it is more case that the price has increased so much since the new menu came out.

It could definately do with a good clean though!

BRIE
25-Jul-08, 19:31
I'm sure I've missed something, so I'll check back :o) (quote jeid)

yes you have!!! please read the original post, at no point do I comment on the food! this seems to have gone completely off topic, it seems the quality of the food is more important than safety! what exactly is your views on whether you would pass a health & safety inspection??

Jeid
25-Jul-08, 20:18
I was in a couple of weeks ago and ordered potato and leek soup, it was definately made from a packet or made with powdered potato as you could taste it, I asked the waitress if it was homemade and she said it was. I couldn't eat it as it and explained this politely when she cleared the table, she appologised but that was it. When we were leaving they were changing the specials board from potato and leek to potato and herb!!

I don't think it is too overpriced compared to other similar places it is more case that the price has increased so much since the new menu came out.

It could definately do with a good clean though!

I was there that day and can say for sure that all the soups are home made. I think there was a breakdown in communication as to what the soup was that day... it was me who wrote the board that day, so I'm to blame. My bad. I remember the girl saying to me that you'd asked about the soup. No offence, but people will believe what they want to believe, even if we tell them the facts.

As for health and safety, we had our inspection not so long ago and the barriers were not mentioned in it. I understand your concern, but at the same time, I don't understand how the kids could've have gotten in the window unless they weren't supervised. I'm a bit confused so perhaps I'm not understanding things properly, but if you were sitting at a window seat, surely you would've seen them go to the window? I know kids can be a handful at times, I've seen so many children run amok in the place. Long gone are the days when children were seen and not heard :lol:

The issues have been raised at work, but feel free to send in that letter you were writing.

Blondie
25-Jul-08, 21:11
the menu may have what you call a good selection, but whats with the price, its every expensive, a breakfast is £7 to £8 if i rememeber as are most burgers

I'd quite happily pay that for good quality home made food.

Ash
26-Jul-08, 07:40
im sorry but i dont think it is home made quality food

BRIE
26-Jul-08, 09:58
As for health and safety, we had our inspection not so long ago and the barriers were not mentioned in it. I understand your concern, but at the same time, I don't understand how the kids could've have gotten in the window unless they weren't supervised. I'm a bit confused so perhaps I'm not understanding things properly, but if you were sitting at a window seat, surely you would've seen them go to the window? I know kids can be a handful at times, I've seen so many children run amok in the place. Long gone are the days when children were seen and not heard :lol:

The issues have been raised at work, but feel free to send in that letter you were writing.

wasnt your recent health & safety inspection just for the kitchens etc, not a full premises inspection? maybe the information I was given was wrong.
you say you dont understand how a child could get into the window please let me explain again!
we were sat on the raised area where the railings go from floor to waist height around the windows my child whos just 2 walked round the back of my chair & through the gap between the railings, no squeezing needed the gap was plenty big enough that he was in within a second & with my reactions out a whole lot quicker! of course I knew they were at the window as the whole raised area is windows floor to ceiling, but silly me thought the railings were a safety measure to prevent anyone getting to the windowsill.
as for the letter it was written & posted the same day as the incident to the owner at there address.

BRIE
26-Jul-08, 10:06
Forgot to say the food was actually fantastic the day we were there! definately homemade soup & everything was very nicely presented.It is pricey though!

rfcgav
26-Jul-08, 20:11
I think your man is right people are scared of change and far to quick put a place down, I had cullen skink the other day and it was beautiful very well presented and the waitress was spot on! As for the place needing done up i think the bar area is looking pretty good wasnt it recently done up? and the play area looks ok to me, Whats the problem a couple of holes in the wall beside the bouncy castle?? My me whatever next? Hardly deserves such a condemnation like the start of this thread surely? But hey you want the place done up and the menu cheaper the owner is a business man not a charity case get a grip... Keep up the good work Central people.

Forgot to say about the lad inbetween the glass and the barriers thats not on and something should be done and the guy saying you should look after your kids better? What gives you the right to say that you dont know her and wasnt there to see the situation ats a terrible thing to say obviously everyone is not as perfect as yourself pal.

rant over

padfoot
27-Jul-08, 10:14
i was in there a couple of weeks ago but i cant comment on the food as we left the prices are far too much, me my mum and my 2 kids went in for lunch and for us to hav lunch would of cost us about £35 fourtunetly kids dont like the bouncy castle too noisy so went to y not instead much better priced plus also 4.50 for a kids meal fair enough if they are quite a bit older and are likely to eat all there food but most kids wont its quite a bit for somthing thats probs not gona get eaten altho i think its good they got macaroni cheese on kids menu but sadly i wont be going back cant afford that sort of prices i defo think old menu was better more choice for better prices

the people i feel sorry for are the families who take their kids regularly, cos the kids will still want to go and if they generally order a full meal they may be out an extra tenner or more a week

plus our alternatives are the tempest and y-not which we enjoy plus they look nicer, cleaner and have no sign's of disrepare or damp and are cheaper but still have quality meals

Jeid
27-Jul-08, 16:25
If you're trying to say that the kids meals in Y Not are better priced, then erm, you should probably re-educate yourself. The kids meals in the Central are £4.50 as well... even though the menus say £4.55 ;)

unicorn
27-Jul-08, 19:31
If people are not happy to pay the prices of food in an establishment stay home and make a sandwich, so much cheaper.

magraw
29-Jul-08, 07:44
why has the new central menu,1 option for vegetarians,macaroni cheese,not even a cheese salad !

Rampant Rabbit
29-Jul-08, 15:15
why can,t your boss answer these people complains on the org or made be its above him he taken enough out of the town you must be his hero

Jeid
29-Jul-08, 19:47
I'll try and make sense of your post...

I'm sure if these people were decent enough to go in to the Central instead of posting on the internet about why they have a problem with the place, he'd try and answer them.

This is the internet. Some people like to complain because they can hide their identity, much like yourself... and try to call people out. I don't need to be anyone's hero. I'm sure the boss can stick up for himself. But what's the point? You can't please everyone all of the time. I don't see what he'd say that would make a difference on here. Everyone has opinions and no matter what anyone says, they'll stick to them.

Rampant Rabbit
29-Jul-08, 22:15
well try the perrie cafe at scrabster £6 for large breakfast £5 for the smaller one jeid and its great value if you like and then come back and tell us the central good value for money

dragonfly
29-Jul-08, 22:35
well try the perrie cafe at scrabster £6 for large breakfast £5 for the smaller one

its even cheaper if you make it at home!

I've not been in the Central for months but if I were to have a problem with the service/meal I would certainly voice my opinion then and there rather than come on here and moan about it.

Doubt Brian will take notice of anonymous complaints on here :confused much more likely to listen to ones that he or his staff are faced with at the time of complaint - you can't rectify something if its not brought to your attention at the time, its a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted

Jeid
29-Jul-08, 22:53
its even cheaper if you make it at home!

I've not been in the Central for months but if I were to have a problem with the service/meal I would certainly voice my opinion then and there rather than come on here and moan about it.

Doubt Brian will take notice of anonymous complaints on here :confused much more likely to listen to ones that he or his staff are faced with at the time of complaint - you can't rectify something if its not brought to your attention at the time, its a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted

Aha... Finally. Someone who has seen the light and has sense.

Totally correct.

Jeid
29-Jul-08, 22:54
well try the perrie cafe at scrabster £6 for large breakfast £5 for the smaller one jeid and its great value if you like and then come back and tell us the central good value for money

:lol:

That's a good way to advertise.

henry20
29-Jul-08, 23:21
Must admit, I thought the prices were steep, but wasn't disappointed once I got the food and saw the portions and quality of food. I'd much rather pay more for a quality meal and go out less! :)

BRIE
30-Jul-08, 09:44
I didnt come on here to complain behind a hidden identity, I came on to highlight to other parents the danger of the establishment.
I dont think this danger would of been brought to customers attention if I left it up to the owner would it? I also didnt complain to the young lady behind the bar on the day as she saw the incident for herself! & from experience many complaints given to staff are NOT passed to management.

Jeid
30-Jul-08, 10:37
I didnt come on here to complain behind a hidden identity, I came on to highlight to other parents the danger of the establishment.
I dont think this danger would of been brought to customers attention if I left it up to the owner would it? I also didnt complain to the young lady behind the bar on the day as she saw the incident for herself! & from experience many complaints given to staff are NOT passed to management.

I wasn't referring to yourself in this instance. All complaints are passed on... but once they are, it's out of our hands.

padfoot
31-Jul-08, 20:41
If you're trying to say that the kids meals in Y Not are better priced, then erm, you should probably re-educate yourself. The kids meals in the Central are £4.50 as well... even though the menus say £4.55 ;)

didnt think there was a kids menu in y-not we normally get an adult meal between them and they sit quite happily with that and last time i was in menu's said 4.50