PDA

View Full Version : What decade produced the best Music

teenybash
22-Jul-08, 23:29
What is your favourite decade for great music and what were your favourites.

wifie
22-Jul-08, 23:42
Have you been listening to Radio 2 drivetime? :)
I suppose I should say the 80s cos that was when I was young, free, single and having a great time but I love music from decades I wasn't even born in - I just like music and canna pick a favourite!

Amy-Winehouse
22-Jul-08, 23:45
The 90`s & the naughties for me, I wasnt around in the 50`s 60`s. The 70`s was pretty dire with a few exceptions & the 80`s were men with make up-Kajagoogoo Duran Duran & Boy George.
Give me the 90`s anytime , with Oasis, Blur, James & several other superb bands.

Oddquine
23-Jul-08, 00:24
60's without a doubt.

I grew up listening to the likes of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6UB-BRmTUE

Went to the Two Red Shoes in Elgin to see the Kinks and Herman's Hermits.........and the Ballerina Ballroom in Nairn to see The Honeycombs.

and courted to Flowers in the Rain on the Hopeman chippie jukebox http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6o5F0s2SjQ

and could make out every word of them.........and they almost made sense!

Now is that showing my age...or is that showing my age?

Not to say I haven't liked some of what has been produced up to the present day....this is my current favourite

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF_Xly9s7Z0

but I am the person that compilation albums were invented for...........since the sixties I haven't bought any album by any one singer/group except for "War of the Worlds" (my favourite is Thunderchild")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMOc0PLzpT8

Gleber2
23-Jul-08, 01:10
Forties, going into the fifties.

Metalattakk
23-Jul-08, 03:40
Surely this is all relative? Everyone will vote for the era that they were growing up in, as that's when our musical tastes were mostly formed.

For me, it's the '70s and '80s.

The emergence of heavy rock music in the '70s followed by the NWOBHM in the early '80s, merging with the Glam Metal and the burgeoning Thrash scene in the mid-to-late '80s, means "halcyon days" to me.

Mind you, I'll still listen to some ABBA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o1DlaQw8Rc&feature=related) (ROFL at that video) or Boney M (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt77ZqE1bCA) (check out Bobby Farrell's moves there!) of an occasion. Even some Paper Lace (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-L0NpaErkk), at a push...

Kevin Milkins
23-Jul-08, 06:32
I dont think any particuler decade caught me .I seem to like different music and styles of music . Tainted Love by Soft Cell ,King Of The Road by Roger Miller,and Wonderwall by Oasis are 3 of my all time favorites, however on my mp3 I have Nat King Cole the Kaiser Cheifs, Jerry Lee Lewis, Dire Straits, Kenny Rogers, and even Ronnie Hilton singing a Windmill In Old Amsterdam.:confused

hotrod4
23-Jul-08, 16:28
Love 80's Electro & Hip hop and 90's especially brit pop but saying that I was brought up on T-rex, Nazareth,Thin lizzy and status quo so thats 70's as well. Also like 50's and 60's and even some rat pack so I pretty much like everything!!!! as long as its got drums in it :)

Dont have a favourite as such but if pushed 1980's purely for Electro.

Gizmo
23-Jul-08, 17:35
The 80's........rock/metal/thrash/glam galore...the decade of decadance :)

sadam
23-Jul-08, 17:51
I would agree with Kevin that if you like music then any era would suit it’s the songs we go for. I also like a range of pop to Irish folk, Scottish, ballad, country nearly everything.

northener
23-Jul-08, 19:48
Well, the 17th century does it for me. Lord Herbert of Cherburys' Lute Book is tops along with a lot of English folk songs from that period and up to the late C18th/early C19th .

Also, Strawhead do a lot of C17th Civil Wars songs that are very good - and then my taste fast forwards to 70's and anything after that.

So no favourite decade I'm afraid, just a very eclectic choice.

balto
23-Jul-08, 21:19
even though i was young, for most of the 80s it really has to be the 80s, most music now is just noise.

George Brims
23-Jul-08, 21:24
1810 to 1820, when Beethoven was at his peak.

The Angel Of Death
23-Jul-08, 23:30
House i was brought up in in my youngster years was full of late 70's and 80's rock prob the best era ever music nowadays is good but nothing comes close to the rock bands and ballads that was produced then

Have to say queen was (and still is) one of the best musical bands ever Freddy Mercury has to have been the best performer of all time he had it all my dad was a queen fanatic and when Freddy died his hero died that day as well and he shed a few tears and although i didn't fully understand then i now (with a few more years on my head) fully understand just how much of a hero he actually was to him

Whitewater
23-Jul-08, 23:46
Has to be the sixties, they were my wild years, so was the music. Many of the songs and singers are just as popular today.

tigger2u
24-Jul-08, 00:01
80's for me, fun and feel good music:D well mostly lol

Bobinovich
24-Jul-08, 00:38
Like Hotrod my forte was the electropop / synthpop era, the 80's. Bands such as Erasure, New Order, Duran Duran, OMD, Pet Shop Boys, Human League, Depeche Mode, Yazoo, A-Ha, Howard Jones, Propoganda, Alphaville, Thompson Twins, Yello - just remembering them all takes me on a magical journey in my mind...

tisme
24-Jul-08, 07:30
Surely this is all relative? Everyone will vote for the era that they were growing up in, as that's when our musical tastes were mostly formed.

For me, it's the '70s and '80s.

The emergence of heavy rock music in the '70s followed by the NWOBHM in the early '80s, merging with the Glam Metal and the burgeoning Thrash scene in the mid-to-late '80s, means "halcyon days" to me.

Mind you, I'll still listen to some ABBA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o1DlaQw8Rc&feature=related) (ROFL at that video) or Boney M (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt77ZqE1bCA) (check out Bobby Farrell's moves there!) of an occasion. Even some Paper Lace (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-L0NpaErkk), at a push...

That is pretty freaky coz that is exactly what I would have said if you hadn't done it first :eek:. Although I am a sucker for a love song, from every decade.

honey
24-Jul-08, 08:43
id have to say the 90s for me, but Im reading the Adam Ant biography just now and the music scene then seems fascinating, if a bit scary!

wifie
24-Jul-08, 12:57
Hey honey thanks! Just been transported back to Viewfirth! A chappie and I used to always search each other out when we heard the first "clicks of the sticks" of Ant Music and go mental on the dancefloor! Aaaaaaw memories! :)

sweetpea
24-Jul-08, 13:17
60's and 70's for me. Lately I've been listening to a lot of Gene Vincent stuff. I also love Queen, Abba, Rod Stewart and my old faves like Motorhead, Marillion, Iron Maiden.

Anne x
24-Jul-08, 13:36
Hey honey thanks! Just been transported back to Viewfirth! A chappie and I used to always search each other out when we heard the first "clicks of the sticks" of Ant Music and go mental on the dancefloor! Aaaaaaw memories! :)

Memories a friends hubby and I did that for Dire Straits The walk of Life and a pal and I always looked for each other for Abba Dancing Queen promised her when I went to see Mama Mia in London the stage show I would get up and dance I did !!! OH mortified usherette was amused though and joined in :lol:

wifie
24-Jul-08, 13:41
Memories a friends hubby and I did that for Dire Straits The walk of Life and a pal and I always looked for each other for Abba Dancing Queen promised her when I went to see Mama Mia in London the stage show I would get up and dance I did !!! OH mortified usherette was amused though and joined in :lol:

Hey 'tis cool to find a kindred spirit is it not! ;)

Fesman
24-Jul-08, 13:45
1810 to 1820, when Beethoven was at his peak.

I particularly enjoy Beethoven and although I don't have a favourite, his second symphony is probably the one I listen to most often. That was composed a little earlier than your time frame (in 1802), but most likely, the "reviews" he received from the composition, inspired him to greater things.

I actually prefer the works of his contemporary, Tzaichovsky, however, but that is always a moot point.

To the modern day, I would have to say that the 70's have a particular significance (apart from the blues era of the 50's and the rock and roll of the sixties... which never die).

I attended a concert by Led Zeppelin, in 1972, in Auckland, New Zealand. I had, truly, never heard of them, but they played songs from their fourth album, which hadn't been released anywhere, at that point.

I was one of the first 15,000 people, in the world, to hear "Stairway To Heaven", the first time it had ever been performed. The album was released the next day and New Zealand was the first Country it was released in (Time Zone thing) The concert ticket cost me $4 (UK£1.33) The album, the next day cost me the same.

Invisible
24-Jul-08, 20:11
The 80's........rock/metal/thrash/glam galore...the decade of decadence :)

Agreed. with Kiss and Van Halen, Def Leppard & Poison

purplelady
24-Jul-08, 22:49
have to say the 70s for me was when i was growing up with no ties and no real worries will not say who my idols were but will say they are still going strong and are the orignal boy band and in my eyes 50s years in show buss is not to be sneezed at .

futurelegends
24-Jul-08, 22:55
No arguing it had to be the Seventies - Glam Rock and the Birth of Sabbath and Purple beginnings of Hard Rock as we know it today.

I remember Seeing Black Sabbath in Glasgow at the ripe old age of 13.

Happy Days.

Ricco
25-Jul-08, 13:05
60's - most definitely. Such a wide range of styles and experimentation going on. Completely radical - most modern stuff is simply variations of the 60's theme. Many of my students prefer stuff from the 60's.:cool:

SNOWDOG
25-Jul-08, 13:36
70's and 80's were the best, im afraid most stuff since is kak!

honey
25-Jul-08, 15:19

youll love my baby son then. I put The Best of Adam Ant on while i was doing the upstairs housework, when i got to my room, the wee man came with me, and sat on my bed, Cue the opening strains of "Prince Charming" when he stopped what he was doing, jumped up and joined in with the "hee ha" bit at the start!! hes not even 2 yet!! :lol:

wifie
25-Jul-08, 17:05
A child with great taste Honey - LOL!

zappster
25-Jul-08, 17:32
70's & (Mainly)the 80's for me purely for the amount of good rock music that came out.

honey
25-Jul-08, 17:36
A child with great taste Honey - LOL!

:lol:

i think "diverse" would describe it better currently runs round singing "wowowow" to kylie!! :lol:

rambo1978
25-Jul-08, 21:15
Well it's pretty damned obvious that the ultimate decade for quality music was the '60's.

padfoot
25-Jul-08, 21:20
Now, but I liked 90's, 60's and 70's and 80's guess I just like music [lol][lol][lol]

Highland Laddie
25-Jul-08, 21:24
Definitely got to be the 60's

padfoot
25-Jul-08, 21:44
my mum insists the sixties too, they were ace

TBH
25-Jul-08, 21:55
I must admit that whilst living through the eighties I didn't rate the music then but I have since come to apreciate it now. My personal favourite however would be the fifties.

wifie
25-Jul-08, 22:52
:lol:

i think "diverse" would describe it better currently runs round singing "wowowow" to kylie!! :lol:

Hey diverse is good! Encourage appreciation of all kinds!

Kodiak
25-Jul-08, 23:10
The best Period for Innovative Music has to be the 1960's.

Just look at all the Great Groups, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Hermans Hermits Etc Etc. It is no Contest :D

teenybash
26-Jul-08, 21:30
Loved the eighties and all the glam rock stuff.some fantastic music was created in the sixties....could do with some being re recorded and brought up to date....Music today..James Blunt,David Gray..............

Blondie
26-Jul-08, 21:49
Loved the eighties and all the glam rock stuff.some fantastic music was created in the sixties....could do with some being re recorded and brought up to date....Music today..James Blunt,David Gray..............

James Blunt? Finally someone else who likes him!! Want to see him in concert but none of my friends like him at all, lol

wifie
26-Jul-08, 21:51
I like James Blunt! Fed up wi him bein slagged too! (Dash it forgot to put on my crash hat before postin! - ouch!)

Blondie
26-Jul-08, 21:54
I like James Blunt! Fed up wi him bein slagged too! (Dash it forgot to put on my crash hat before postin! - ouch!)

Woohoo another fan!

bky
27-Jul-08, 00:15
depends on the mood im in - could be frank sinatra, nat king cole, might be elvis, could be sweet,slade,BCR,chances are it will be priest,maiden,ozzy,sabbath,ac/dc,
could be battlefield band ----------- JUST DONT ASK ME IF I LIKE ANYTHING FROM THE 80's onwards and that pap(!) idol and x factor-

celtic 302
27-Jul-08, 05:46
No doubt, 70's. They produced Tom Waits, what more do you want?

George Brims
28-Jul-08, 23:58
I particularly enjoy Beethoven...
I actually prefer the works of his contemporary, Tzaichovsky, however, but that is always a moot point.

Hardly contemporaries - Beethoven was dead 13 years by the time Tchaikovsky was born. He is another of my favorites. His 5th symphony is probably the longest piece of music I can run through in my mind.

joxville
29-Jul-08, 00:44
I like loads of different musicians and singers but I mostly prefer to listen to music in it's very raw state-African, Indian, Aboriginal etc.

domino
29-Jul-08, 23:04
Definitely the forties and fifties