PDA

View Full Version : If you could migrate in spirit...

percy toboggan
22-Jul-08, 18:50
If you could take yourself off to live in any other coutry, yet fundamentally keep your life as it is here..in other words, escape what Britain has become - mostly negative , but taking the positive aspects of your life with you - where would you choose?

My experience of other lands is admittedly limited...I've only visited about sixteen different countries...and most of those as a tourist.

I have to say it would either be Wyoming...although it's a distance from the ocean and I recind it immediately for that reason:roll: so, it's Oregon, or Mallaig....and yes I know Mallaig is in Britain but I can't help that!

Whereabouts appeals to you, and why? Or perhaps predictably, most of you are happy enough where you are.
What would you miss about Britain most? (for me, it would be those small tins of Morrison's Beans and Sausage...and their granary bread)
(and no, there are no Morrison's in Mallaig :()

teenybash
22-Jul-08, 19:14
For me it has got to be Ireland...land of myth and magic, music, humour, the beauty of the landscape, the freedom of the hills and its cheeky charm...............:Razz

PS
Irish bread..soda, wheaten, fadge, cheese that's strong and tangy, dulce, yellow man and if you have a horse it's because you have a horse and not a status symbol.........oops....... no offence to the real horse lovers.

canuck
22-Jul-08, 19:16
And I moved to Edinburgh.

golach
22-Jul-08, 19:39
If you could take yourself off to live in any other coutry, yet fundamentally keep your life as it is here..in other words, escape what Britain has become - mostly negative , but taking the positive aspects of your life with you - where would you choose?
My experience of other lands is admittedly limited...I've only visited about sixteen different countries...and most of those as a tourist.

Percy, a good thought provoking post, I have scratched my head a bit to give a reply, and my answer based on my seagoing career been around the World a few times, and been to many countries both as a seaman and as a visitor.
I am happy with my lot in the UK, my family and many of my friends are here, I have a job that I like doing, my health is reasonable at the moment.
I would miss Britains Real Ale, Greigs Granary bread, the Sunday Quiz in my local (that our team never wins :().
Oh there are things I would like to change, a little, the Weather, I would like the Seasons to go back to I remember them as a child, warm and sunny Summers, snowy Winters. But thats is just a pipe dream, so I will opt to stay in Auld Reekie, with occasional sorties north.

percy toboggan
22-Jul-08, 20:56
Cheers golach, and all....a most interesting reply.
Bread and beer eh...same 'ere..not necessarilly in that order ;-)

sweetpea
22-Jul-08, 22:30

I have to say it would either be Wyoming...although it's a distance from the ocean and I recind it immediately for that reason:roll: so, it's Oregon, or Mallaig....and yes I know Mallaig is in Britain but I can't help that!

Whereabouts appeals to you, and why? Or perhaps predictably, most of you are happy enough where you are.
What would you miss about Britain most? (for me, it would be those small tins of Morrison's Beans and Sausage...and their granary bread)
(and no, there are no Morrison's in Mallaig :()

God you are down on life, what's up? Do you want to leave here?

moureen
22-Jul-08, 22:30
Can I say that if I had a wish as to be any where I would go for a fortnight in Heven with my son to know that he is safe and well would make coming back down to the Thurso worth it.Ah well I can wish can't I.

teenybash
22-Jul-08, 22:37
Can I say that if I had a wish as to be any where I would go for a fortnight in Heven with my son to know that he is safe and well would make coming back down to the Thurso worth it.Ah well I can wish can't I.

Awe...he safe and well.....he's in your heart **

sweetpea
22-Jul-08, 22:55

But you know that's not possible, don't you?

;)

Anne x
22-Jul-08, 23:12
For me my Ideal would be Home where I am right now and where my family come to visit

where my heart is I have a very very soft spot for Sutherland where I was born and brought up sun always shines the land of milk and honey

Caithness that gave me all I know for 20yrs a good living ,family , and a life I have never forgotten a landscape to die for and friends I will never forget

But Percy if I was younger I would opt for Vancouver have been 3 times a relative lives in Victoria Vancouver Island in BC and loved the place the climate, food , pace of life but just dreaming as could not afford to do it now Ah holidays !!!

wifie
22-Jul-08, 23:39
New Zealand!

Rheghead
23-Jul-08, 00:10

My experience of Mallaig is that it is a doss hole in Heaven's surroudings. I got robbed there so there.

My mrs is screaming CANADA! CANADA!

Kevin Milkins
23-Jul-08, 00:14
Gibralter might suit you Percy.You have the sea ,the sun ,the sand , and all the sights, yet the benifit of UK shopping at Spanish prices.And the Morrisons store their will have just the same goods as in Manchester ,and more.

Oddquine
23-Jul-08, 01:20
Just about anywhere at all in Scotland would do me........as long as it wasn't a city bigger than Elgin.

So that counts Glasgow, Edinburgh. Dundee, Stirling, Perth, Aberdeen and Inverness out........all fine for holidays...........but not my kind of place for a permanent abode.

cuddlepop
23-Jul-08, 10:08
Looking through my mums albums of her time staying and working in Toronto,Canada left me wanting to go and experience it for myself but unfortunatly have never managed to go.

So Percy when ever I daydream its usually to there and the life I hoped I could have had.

binbob
23-Jul-08, 10:28
for me MALTA... or KEFALONIA.....or CANADA

NickInTheNorth
23-Jul-08, 10:39
I've already made the leap and done it!

I really disliked what has become of the greedy self obsessed over-crowded stress ridden southern 5/6ths of the UK, and decamped northward several years ago. To say that I am content here is an understatement.

However in keeping with the spirit of the post I would be very happy to move on again to any one of the South West corner of Ireland; small coastal communities in Washington state or Oregon or Maine. Anywhere coastal in sub arctic Canada. Small coastal communities in New Zealand.

I guess there's a sort of theme there :D

BTW Percy, cannot understand why you would choose Mallaig over Arisaig, I tend to agree with Rheghead regarding Mallaig, it can be quite an unpleasant place to be :(

porshiepoo
23-Jul-08, 11:55
The UK will always, always be home to me and where my heart is. If I could live anywhere in the UK it would be here, where I am now and where I intend to stay and grow old. I love it!

However, if I had to choose another country then America has always been on my wish list. Don't know why as I've never even been there and probably never will as the 3 attempts we've made have all ended in some kind of disaster or another. Obviously not meant to be.
Canada is appealing (again never been) and Australia too (yep, never been there neither lol. But do have family there)

highbury
23-Jul-08, 14:58
New Zealand!

ditto, and, the plan is to be in rural Canterbury in 12 months time !!!!

Sporran
23-Jul-08, 17:52
Even though I have spent most of my adult life away from the UK, I still miss it, and could quite happily move back there. I miss the people, the way of life, the scenery, buildings - lots of things. Somewhere in Caithness would be nice, or perhaps Sutherland, Inverness or Moray. I often migrate in spirit back to Caithness when I'm looking at all the wonderful photos on the Org! :)

If I was to choose a Scottish city to live in, Edinburgh would be my first choice, and Aberdeen my second. Edinburgh is beautiful and has everything I love. History, culture, lovely old buildings and fantastic viewpoints. Lots of great entertainment, shops, pubs and restaurants. Plus it's next to the water. Having been brought up in Thurso, I'm happiest when the sea is within easy reach!

I was also very taken with many parts of Germany, when we lived there. It's so picturesque, and all those romantic old castles! :cool:

Tuscany sounds appealing too. We went on holiday there twice, and fell in love with it - especially Florence and Siena. Switzerland's another paradise on earth....

percy toboggan
23-Jul-08, 18:34

;)
Blimey! and you accused me of 'being down on life'
At least I don't butt in on the reverie of others with such a
downbeat injection of reality.

percy toboggan
23-Jul-08, 18:37
Rheghead , you do seem to have more than your fair share of bad luck.
Nick...you're right of course and Arisaig is a better bet...I'm trying to keep realistic about the budget though...if little else :-)

hotrod4
23-Jul-08, 18:39
Though content hear in Caithness if I could migrate albeit only in spirit it would be New Mexico.I've always had a soft spot for Roswell and being a big X-files fan would suit me down to the ground, or as I would be in spirit i could be anything i wanted right? I would be a scorrie for a day and come back and .............. you know the rest!!!! ;)

moureen
23-Jul-08, 20:18

;)

Yes Sweetpea I know thats not possible so there for I will go up West Tongue/Skerray here I come !!! well hopefully one day.

Sun Circle
23-Jul-08, 20:45
I'd settle for the south-west corner of Australia - white sands, blue sea, plenty of space and fresh air, watching the dolphins play on the surf... not so different from Caithness really, but a bit warmer!

Sun Circle

percy toboggan
23-Jul-08, 20:51
I'd settle for the south-west corner of Australia - white sands, blue sea, plenty of space and fresh air, watching the dolphins play on the surf... not so different from Caithness really, but a bit warmer!

Sun Circle

Sounds good to me...
Perthy Toboggan...has a ring to it.;)

sweetpea
23-Jul-08, 23:07
Blimey! and you accused me of 'being down on life'
At least I don't butt in on the reverie of others with such a
downbeat injection of reality.
Realism not sadism...

sweetpea
23-Jul-08, 23:08
Yes Sweetpea I know thats not possible so there for I will go up West Tongue/Skerray here I come !!! well hopefully one day.
I'm going up there to Tongue tommorrow for a pal's birthday:)

sweetpea
23-Jul-08, 23:11
On days like this I don't want to move, it was scorching here.

Whitewater
24-Jul-08, 00:23
Lived in Australia, loved it. Didn't manage to get over to NZ, I think it would be super, going to have a look at Canada next year so I will see what it's like. If I ever did move to another country again, it would have to be one of those three. I don't think I could be bothered learning another foreign language at my age as well as a host of new customs. At my time of life I just want to relax and have fun with my good friends.

Ricco
24-Jul-08, 14:54
Somewhere along the north coast of Scotland. It has everything that I want - quiet, wilderness, fishing, walking, somewhere to grow my veg, have chickens, etc. Great company, good whiskey (lousy beer, though), wild winters, low air pollution, roads that glow in the depth of night ;)

All right, I didn't really mean that last one. :D

joxville
28-Jul-08, 17:34
Hmmm, I wonder what Rockall is like at this time of year? On second thoughts I think I'd choose Iceland-the country, not the shop!:D