PDA

View Full Version : Digital Camera Help

fed-ex
11-Dec-05, 20:13
I m looking for a digital camera for a Christmas pressie for my granny.
There is just so many to choose from. Im looking to spend up to £100.
It must be quite easy to use as shes getting on and a bit dithery.
Any one got any advise. Thanks

Phoebus_Apollo
11-Dec-05, 20:41
Take a peek (http://froogle.google.co.uk/froogle?btnG=Search+Froogle&hl=en&q=digital+camera&price1=&price2=175.00&lnk=prsugg)

:D

fed-ex
11-Dec-05, 21:09
Take a peek (http://froogle.google.co.uk/froogle?btnG=Search+Froogle&hl=en&q=digital+camera&price1=&price2=175.00&lnk=prsugg)

:DThanks pheobus that link was very handy, i'll definately go back to it when i've had a little advise. I want to know if theres a lot of difference between say a 3mp and a 5mp and things like that before I buy one....
Does any-one have any good advise for me?

krieve
11-Dec-05, 21:28
The higher mp the better mines is 3mp i got it for £50 and its easy to work it still takes good pictures my parents paid £150 for theirs its only 3mp and my camera is just as good as their one only £100 cheaper but like i said the higher mp the better.

pedromcgrory
11-Dec-05, 21:36
go check up on it ,do a google search maybe?

Gizmo
11-Dec-05, 22:21
Just stay away from those rubbish digital carmers that Woolies are selling, they might be be cheap but they are complete guff and a waste of money, trust me...i bought one and seriously regret it, you get better results with a £6 disposable camera.

fed-ex
11-Dec-05, 22:24
Just stay away from those rubbish digital carmers that Woolies are selling, they might be be cheap but they are complete guff and a waste of money, trust me...i bought one and seriously regret it, you get better results with a £6 disposable camera.Thanks Gizmo. I'll remember that. I did look in Woolies but i'll give it a miss now. Have you got any advise where I might get a half decent one?

Astra
11-Dec-05, 23:27
Just stay away from those rubbish digital carmers that Woolies are selling, they might be be cheap but they are complete guff and a waste of money, trust me...i bought one and seriously regret it, you get better results with a £6 disposable camera.I bought a digital camera from woolies last year and had no problems with it and it,s still going good and i take hundreds of pictures with it .:cool:

loganbiffy
11-Dec-05, 23:32
Thanks Gizmo. I'll remember that. I did look in Woolies but i'll give it a miss now. Have you got any advise where I might get a half decent one?

hey mate head over to www.dabs.com grat selection and good prices. this is where i do my online shopping, hope this helps.

EDDIE
12-Dec-05, 00:34
Hi fed-ex i wouldnt worry to much about it all the digital cameras are good and im quite sure what ever u buy for your granny she will love it.And also just about every digital camera has an automatic setting so its just a case of pushing the button.

Naefearjustbeer
12-Dec-05, 03:05
3 mega pixels is fine. We have started getting prints at the chemists in Thurso you can get 50 6x4 printsfor £5 , Very good value much cheaper than printing at home and you get nice glossy pictures.

Moira
12-Dec-05, 03:14
Naefearjustbeer - is that one of the automated machines where you plug the camera memory stick into?

rfr10
12-Dec-05, 18:38
I got a really good one for £70 from www.dixons.co.uk

Donnie
12-Dec-05, 18:57
Three mega pixels would be perfect for printing up to about A4. If they just want it for taking typical photos then i'd go for a 3mp over a 5mp. With the 5mp you wouldn't notice any real difference in quality at standard picture size but the file size would be bigger meaning you could store less on the camera.

Ignore digital zoom, it is useless, it's optical zoom you want. A LCD diplay is nice (and comes with most). If you have any spare pennies or if someone else wants to get them something then you could get a larger memory card to store the photos to as the storage you get with the camera usually isn't very much.

jjc
13-Dec-05, 18:20
Hi Fed-ex,

I got my camera from Warehouse Express (http://www.warehouseexpress.com/?/welcome.html).

Even if they don't have a camera for you, they have several useful areas on their site that might help you: A-Z of Digital, Choosing a Camera & Beginner's Guide.

Happy shopping,

JJC

Rheghead
13-Dec-05, 18:24

If you can spare an extra £30, Currys are doing an excellent camera that has been reduced in price.

Astra
13-Dec-05, 20:42
Any luck yet fed- ex

fed-ex
13-Dec-05, 20:46
Any luck yet fed- exAye, I've found this very helpful. I havn't got round to buying one yet but i'll be doing it very soon.....

porshiepoo
14-Dec-05, 01:04

Try Amazon.co.uk they have decent cameras of around 5mp for under your price. the one I saw was an olympus which is a make that I recommend. I've had their 2mp types, moved up to the c750uz and now have the E500. I'm very happy with the cameras I've had so a visit to the site would be well worth it, although I don't know what the delivery would be like for xmas now.

lizzie
14-Dec-05, 01:42
Try Amazon.co.uk they have decent cameras of around 5mp for under your price. the one I saw was an olympus which is a make that I recommend. I've had their 2mp types, moved up to the c750uz and now have the E500. I'm very happy with the cameras I've had so a visit to the site would be well worth it, although I don't know what the delivery would be like for xmas now.

Plenty of time yet to order from amazon, i ordered some dvd's on friday amazingly i got them today.

Not much time to watch them though spending an unhealthy amount of time on here well at least i'm not the only one .lol

Naefearjustbeer
24-Dec-05, 10:56
Naefearjustbeer - is that one of the automated machines where you plug the camera memory stick into?

Yes you can take your memory card and plug it in or take a CD of photos. you can then pick various different borders and or effects and add them to your photo. Once you have completed your order you take your receipt to the counter and pay. We only had to wait for 10 minutes to get 100 prints. Ran it as 2 orders of 50 prints as it is better value for money doing it that way.

Moira
25-Dec-05, 03:55
Thanks for this Nfjb - I didn't manage to print mine as cheap as yours - got 26 prints (3 x 4) - which was two to a page & we had to cut them up ourselves - from Boots last week - cost was over £6. I was also disappointed that there did not seem to be the option of adding text etc to the photos - but maybe I didn't take enough time to explore the options. Every time you pressed the screen to select an option, the darn, infernal thing "shouted" out instructions - you probably heard it in Thurso (lol). Anyhow it did the purpose but I won't be rushing back. May invest in a photo printer myself.

~~Tides~~
28-Dec-05, 00:37
Hi, ive got a problem here but didnt want to start a new thred, anyway:

I got a new digital camera for christmas. I rip it out of the packaging and point it at the first see, the dog. However I find that I cant take a photo of that damned illusive dog; When I press the shutter button by the time it has actually taken the picture the dog is over there as the camera takes about a second and a half before it actually takes the photo. I find this really annyoing, it even has a sports mode but that makes no difference, which makes it damn near usesless for taking action shots of rugby etc.
Now this is my first digital camera since 1.3MP was quite a good resolution and this one now hes 5MP (Fuji Finepix A350) so I thought it was quite a good one.
Anyone got any ideas?
Thanks in advance.