PDA

View Full Version : dog breeding question , well sort of

emszxr
21-Jul-08, 18:19
what would happen if the son of a bitch mated with her. will she have a pregnancy resulting in pups or not. i know this shouldnt happen for medical reasons and abormalities in pups, but does it always happen or can they produce healthy pups.
thanks in advance

unicorn
21-Jul-08, 18:37
I saw it in a collie and all pups had extra toes but were ok otherwise.

porshiepoo
21-Jul-08, 19:22
Such close inbreeding does actually go on in the canine world although it is frowned upon.
Assuming that the sons father was not directly related to the mother in a similar way, the chances are that there will be no abnormalities or problems.
Are there abnormalities or problems associated with the mothers line? I'm not sure how the whole thing works but I believe this may have an effect.

I know a Dane breeder that once bred full brother to full sister (claimed it was accidental - horrible man) and as far as I'm aware there were no inherited physical abnormalities, however most of the pups did have one problem or another and I think 90% of the litter died within the 1st year. There's no reason to believe that this was any more due to the close mating though as it could have been due to doubling up on genetic problems, breed problems or sheer bad luck.

111heather
21-Jul-08, 19:27
i have a bog that was from a mother and son and she is fine and her puppys were all fine as well