PDA

View Full Version : Prince Charles

Invisible
21-Jul-08, 15:53
I heard in the grapevine that Charlie is making an appearance in Caithness in a fortnight. Can anyone shed some more light on this?

wifie
21-Jul-08, 15:54
Is he not usually up staying at Mey at the start of August every year?

canuck
21-Jul-08, 16:13
He arrived in style, driving his car from Mey Castle to the Mey Highland Games when I was there 4 years ago. I was told that he stays in the castle for a few weeks each year in early August.

plumber
21-Jul-08, 16:28
He And Camilla stay in the castle for a week, attending the Mey games, and then the Sunday service in Canisbay Church

mccaugm
21-Jul-08, 17:21
He is coming to Caithness and attending the Mey Games. He supposedly should have been attending the Summer Olympics but chose Caithness instead. Good on ya Charlie Boy!

Loafer
30-Jul-08, 20:38
I heard in the grapevine that Charlie is making an appearance in Caithness in a fortnight. Can anyone shed some more light on this?

Does anyone care whether we see this overpaid, underworked reptile??

The Loafer

davem
30-Jul-08, 20:59
Whatever your opinion he makes things happen, which for a county where some improvements happen slower than continental drift is useful to have. Just wait till the Castletown initiative is done and dusted then .........

Amy-Winehouse
30-Jul-08, 21:26

The Loafer

I for one care, he will be the next King of Britain so why so anti Charles????

He is by no means a reptile, Ive met HRH twice & he is a well educated intelligent charming gentleman, he has his faults but we all do as no one is perfect.
I personally think M.P`s are overpaid underworked reptiles but thats another matter.
Cant wait to meet up with the future King again tho:D

Anne x
30-Jul-08, 21:29
Great Asset to Caithness always beavering away with Mey Products etc also His Princes Trust Charity does amazing things and helps a lot of Youth programmes and the unemployed start up on there own in Business

pat
30-Jul-08, 21:59
Agree with many on this subject, Prince Charles brings a fair bit of attention and followers to Caithness, helping the economy in all sorts of ways.

Without his leadership and involvement helping Castle of Mey, Mey Selections and many other local enterprises - where would they be now, the games at John O'Groats would have disappeared I am sure without his continuing support.

The continued visits encourage many folk to visit Caithness and buy Caithness products.

Carry on PC - encourage your friends and visitors to come to Caithness and to use Caithness products, it helps employment and the local communities.

His grandmothr used to be able to walk around, go about as she liked without folk bothering her, he probably relishes the opportunity to be a bit more laid back and under less scrutiny than usual.

I personally would hate to be PC - every movement watched and picked over, every work and intonation examined and recorded to be thrown up if you make the slightest slip.

Leave the fellow alone to enjoy his wee jaunt up here advertising our Caithness.

golach
30-Jul-08, 22:04
The Loafer
Sorry Loafer, but I think your out of order there, He does a lot of good work, met him once when he was the Skipper of HMS Bronington, a nicer Naval Officer, you could not wish to meet.

Buttercup
30-Jul-08, 22:51

The Loafer
Doesn't Prince Charles get his money from the Duchy of Cornwall and takes nothing from "the public purse"? :confused

nightowl
30-Jul-08, 22:56
Think this may be the reason?
http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/diary/monday_4th_august_2008_1521201482.html

Bobinovich
30-Jul-08, 23:14
Sheesh - that's a busy schedule for one day :eek:

rfr10
30-Jul-08, 23:18
Prince Charles is coming up for the "Freedom of Caithness" I'm not entirely sure what it's all about but I know that he is receiving some award at the assembly rooms on the 4th of August for all his contributions to Caithness (I think) The reason I know this is because I'm playing music with others at the assembly rooms on Monday.

I'm sure there would have been something in the papers aswell.

davem
30-Jul-08, 23:21
Why have we got Cumbrians in Wick?
I've got nothing against Cumbrians just wondering.

Buttercup
30-Jul-08, 23:38
I've got nothing against Cumbrians just wondering.

I was just as confused with that one davem ~ only conclusion I came to was that Caithness is "up North" and Cumbria is "up North" (if you live in the South of England) so they've assumed it's the same place. Wonder if any "official" will pick them up on it? [lol]

Fran
31-Jul-08, 00:27
Prince charles is coming to wick on august 4th to be given the freedom of wick. He will also open the caithness ct scanner in the hospital, and will also be accompanied by mary scanlon msp.

TBH
31-Jul-08, 00:28
I've got nothing against Cumbrians just wondering.The English are invading[lol].

Tristan
31-Jul-08, 07:50

The Loafer

You may have a point, but IMO one reason that Wick Airport has survived the last few years is that the Queen Mother used to visit every summer. With Charles continuing the tradition it does help raise Caithness' profile in the Country which may help to maintain some services.
On a side note it was interesting to see the Castle of May products on sale while on holiday.

teenybash
31-Jul-08, 11:39

The Loafer

You are way out of order...Prince Charles is carrying on a tradition first laid down by his Grandmother and long may it last. Caithness is all the better for his input and it is lovely to see him able to relax with his wife, without the hoards pestering around him.

His contribution in putting Caithness on the map is wonderful.

What do you do for Caithness? [lol]

Welcomefamily
31-Jul-08, 12:30
He does a lot for Caithness, the first time he sat next to Camilla in public he did it at the Mey Games, and when you looked across the field from the tent all you could see was people with cameras. Even my mum who lives in Somerset rang up and said it was on the news down there.

The Castle of Mey remains very popular because Prince Charles uses it, about two years ago I did a survey of coach tour customers who had stayed at a hotel locally and how they had enjoyed their visit to the orkneys and to the castle. A large amount of responses stated on the why was it important to see this? question was the fact the Prince uses it.

dragonfly
31-Jul-08, 13:27

The Loafer

many do care as he is an asset to the county. Mey Selections is one of the fastest growing brands ever and as such are helping out a lot of local businesses. As others have said he does not take money from the public purse

The Prince of Wales chooses to use the majority of his after-tax income from the Duchy to meet the cost of his public and charitable work. In addition, each year he helps raise, directly or indirectly, around £122 million for his core 19 charities.

The Prince pays tax on his Duchy income, after the normal deductions for business expenses, at the 40 per cent rate. Like any other tax-payer, his tax return is subject to review by the Inland Revenue. In 2007-08, The Prince’s income from the Duchy was £16.3 million and £12.8 million after tax (including VAT). Over 60 per cent of The Prince of Wales’s after-tax income from the Duchy of Cornwall was spent on official duties and charitable activities.

Cattach
31-Jul-08, 18:50

The Loafer

This county benefits and has benefited greating over the years from the Royal presence. It has brought work through tourism and much else. Pity you are so narrow minded to see the advantages for us all.

Talking of reptiles what species are you?

northener
31-Jul-08, 19:04

The Loafer

And what exactly have you done to promote Caithness then?

Perhaps you've twisted a few arms in the business world or used your wealth, prominence and vision to bring Caithness into the limelight?

Maybe you've invested your own dosh into the County, or fronted charities desperate for recognition and income?

Maybe your day is full of being on your best behaviour and greeting hundreds of dignitaries, business and political leaders, ordinary people and deserving causes? All to further Scotland and the UK?

Or you could be a skilled diplomat and envoy who is accepted in countries and circles where politicians may fear to tread?

Do tell......

Regardless of whether you think we should have a Royal Family or not - don't knock someone who does his damned best for other people.[disgust]

badger
31-Jul-08, 19:38
He comes up every year at this time and could be forgiven for taking time to have some private life for once but, as others have said, he gets around a lot, promotes Caithness in lots of ways and takes a genuine interest in many organisations up here. Welcome back, PC :)

joxville
31-Jul-08, 20:06
He does a lot for Caithness, the first time he sat next to Camilla in public he did it at the Mey Games,

Only because she blended in with the horses.[lol]

joxville
31-Jul-08, 20:14
Think this may be the reason?
http://www.princeofwales.gov.uk/diary/monday_4th_august_2008_1521201482.html

Monday 4th August 2008

HRH The Prince Charles, Duke of Rothesay will receive the Freedom of Caithness at a ceremony in the Assembly Rooms, Wick, Caithness.

HRH The Prince Charles, Duke of Rothesay will visit the Mey Selection's offices and meet Cumbrian farmers, Wick, Caithness.

HRH The Prince Charles, Duke of Rothesay will attend a Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama Master Class and launch North Highland Connections at the Mill Theatre, Thurso, Caithness.

HRH The Prince Charles, Duke of Rothesay will view the Society of Caithness Artists’ annual summer exhibition, Thurso High School, Thurso, Caithness.

HRH The Prince Charles, Duke of Rothesay will host a reception for the University of the Highlands and Islands Centre for History at the Castle of Mey, Thurso, Caithness.

Sheesh - that's a busy schedule for one day :eek:

Are you being sarcastic?

Being driven around various places, not having traffic problems, and spending an hour or so in each place hardly constitutes a busy day.

joxville
31-Jul-08, 20:26
many do care as he is an asset to the county. Mey Selections is one of the fastest growing brands ever and as such are helping out a lot of local businesses. As others have said he does not take money from the public purse

Quote:
The Prince of Wales chooses to use the majority of his after-tax income from the Duchy to meet the cost of his public and charitable work. In addition, each year he helps raise, directly or indirectly, around £122 million for his core 19 charities.

The Prince pays tax on his Duchy income, after the normal deductions for business expenses, at the 40 per cent rate. Like any other tax-payer, his tax return is subject to review by the Inland Revenue. In 2007-08, The Prince’s income from the Duchy was £16.3 million and £12.8 million after tax (including VAT). Over 60 per cent of The Prince of Wales’s after-tax income from the Duchy of Cornwall was spent on official duties and charitable activities

So is he to be applauded for this? Not taking money from the public purse! Did he start a small business and work his way up like Alan Sugar or Richard Branson to be a multi-millionaire and buy the Duchy? No, he didn't, it was given to him by birth-rights. So it still getting something for nothing in my book.

TBH
01-Aug-08, 00:24
So is he to be applauded for this? Not taking money from the public purse! Did he start a small business and work his way up like Alan Sugar or Richard Branson to be a multi-millionaire and buy the Duchy? No, he didn't, it was given to him by birth-rights. So it still getting something for nothing in my book.Er, no, is that the right answer. Blooming German Royal Family should get back to Hanover where they belong.[lol]

Kevin Milkins
01-Aug-08, 00:59
My son,daughter in law and two grandchildren came to visit 2 years ago in Wick.
We were looking for somewhere to go for a day out and the Groat was advertising the Mey games.
We rocked up and parked and went along to the field where the games took place and bought a programe of the days events and settled down to watch the day unfold.
We watched the strong men doing there bit and the dancers was great and entered our skinny young grandson in a race.
After a while I read through the programe and said to my daughter in law that it looked like Charles and Camila where due to arrive as the duke and duchess of Rothsey.
My daughter in law (who worked for the police) reliably informed me that no way was any royalty going to be there today as in her opinion it was not a secure place for them to be.
We were all gobsmacked when the junior pipe band led Charles and Cammila in under there own steam.
It was just wonderfull to see that they both looked relaxed and enjoying the day in a very ordinary way.Charles judged the tug of war competition and spent a while chatting to the winning captain and Cammila seemed at ease with the whole day. As a group of white settlers ,I would say that many people in this country would envy Caithness for having such distinguished guests at a village show.

TBH
01-Aug-08, 01:02
My son,daughter in law and two grandchildren came to visit 2 years ago in Wick.
We were looking for somewhere to go for a day out and the Groat was advertising the Mey games.
We rocked up and parked and went along to the field where the games took place and bought a programe of the days events and settled down to watch the day unfold.
We watched the strong men doing there bit and the dancers was great and entered our skinny young grandson in a race.
After a while I read through the programe and said to my daughter in law that it looked like Charles and Camila where due to arrive as the duke and duchess of Rothsey.
My daughter in law (who worked for the police) reliably informed me that no way was any royalty going to be there today as in her opinion it was not a secure place for them to be.
We were all gobsmacked when the junior pipe band led Charles and Cammila in under there own steam.
It was just wonderfull to see that they both looked relaxed and enjoying the day in a very ordinary way.Charles judged the tug of war competition and spent a while chatting to the winning captain and Cammila seemed at ease with the whole day. As a group of white settlers ,I would say that many people in this country would envy Caithness for having such distinguished guests at a village show.That wasn't Charles and Cammila, that was charles riding Shergar with Lord Lucan riding Pillion.;)
P.S, Glad to see that as a Welshman you see no insult in calling yourself a white settler unlike some.:lol:

hotrod4
01-Aug-08, 08:56
Er, no, is that the right answer. Blooming German Royal Family should get back to Hanover where they belong.[lol]

Now you just know TBH that I am not going to agree with you on that one!!! ;)lol

Charlie(to his friends) does a grand job, he does alot of promotion for the county. Yes they are born into it as opposed to "earning" it but they have sacrifices as well to make.Imagine having your every move followed by the press,having no privacy it would put a strain on the best of us. The Royal family bring in more money than we shell out on them so I am glad we have them.
God save the queen! :)

Angela
01-Aug-08, 09:14
I'm far from being an enthusiastic monarchist, though two of my Mum's cousins worked at the Castle of Mey for years and were proud of the fact. As a child I remember going to see the Queen and Princes Margaret arrive at Scrabster on the Royal Yacht, and being surprised they were wearing headscarves -probably pure silk Hermes ones, but still, it showed how relaxed they felt about being in Caithness.

So, I'm pleased to see Charles has maintained his links with Caithness. He does have a privileged backgound of course, but he had no choice in the matter. His life is also one of duty and restrictions -there must be times when he has a day with several public engagements scheduled and he thinks 'Can I be bovvered?' It can't be easy being so much in the public eye, and having to meet and show an interest in strangers, even on days you feel fed up or not too well. It seems to me that he does have a job!

And I think he does it well! :)

Average
01-Aug-08, 10:07
So what, he has raised the profile of a sparsely populated windswept northern outpost.

I think that is out weighed by the fact that he is a leading member of a parasitic family who enjoy an undeserved life of luxury while their "subjects" struggle on.

I know you won’t want to hear this but in the whole scheme of things Caithness's prosperity is not very important in Scottish terms let alone the UK. The fact that you over the moon that he was pictured at the May games with his horse face wife is rather tragic. Is that what you want Caithness to be known for?

TBH
01-Aug-08, 14:22
Now you just know TBH that I am not going to agree with you on that one!!! lol

Charlie(to his friends) does a grand job, he does alot of promotion for the county. Yes they are born into it as opposed to "earning" it but they have sacrifices as well to make.Imagine having your every move followed by the press,having no privacy it would put a strain on the best of us. The Royal family bring in more money than we shell out on them so I am glad we have them.
God save the queen! :)If we are going to have a royal family it should have been the House of Stuart and not these Hanoverian interlopers.
Nobody has any privacy really with surveillance cameras everywhere, your shopping habits are monitored by supermarkets, viewing habits by satelllite television, etc. Wur all doomed I tell ye.........:eek:
God save the Queen and her Fascist regime.[lol]

Welcomefamily
01-Aug-08, 14:56
I hope its Mey (spelt with an e) you are referring too as a wind swept northern out post and not Caithness.
Caithness prosperity is very important to those who live in Caithness and does it matter if this prosperity is not very important in Scottish terms, No, but this wind swept out post (Caithness) has a community and in order to keep our community here we need some prosperity to generate jobs. Prince Charles does not have to do this, he choses to.

So what, he has raised the profile of a sparsely populated windswept northern outpost.

I think that is out weighed by the fact that he is a leading member of a parasitic family who enjoy an undeserved life of luxury while their "subjects" struggle on.

I know you won’t want to hear this but in the whole scheme of things Caithness's prosperity is not very important in Scottish terms let alone the UK. The fact that you over the moon that he was pictured at the May games with his horse face wife is rather tragic. Is that what you want Caithness to be known for?

TBH
01-Aug-08, 15:04
I hope its Mey (spelt with an e) you are referring too as a wind swept northern out post and not Caithness.
Caithness prosperity is very important to those who live in Caithness and does it matter if this prosperity is not very important in Scottish terms, No, but this wind swept out post (Caithness) has a community and in order to keep our community here we need some prosperity to generate jobs. Prince Charles does not have to do this, he choses to.What has he done to create prosperity in Caithness?

dragonfly
01-Aug-08, 16:12
So is he to be applauded for this? Not taking money from the public purse! Did he start a small business and work his way up like Alan Sugar or Richard Branson to be a multi-millionaire and buy the Duchy? No, he didn't, it was given to him by birth-rights. So it still getting something for nothing in my book.

IMO yes he is! there are many a lesser royal who do very little who take quite happily from the public purse. He was lucky to be born into a family of means - could have been you Joxville. Life's what you make it and no point in having sour grapes about others more privliged

and no I am not a Royalist - doesn't bother me if we have a monarchy or not - just I can see the good he has done for our county

Welcomefamily
01-Aug-08, 16:29
What has he done to create prosperity in Caithness?
Who pushed for the Mey selections brands, He contributed towards the setting up meetings of the North highland tourism ltd which does a huge amount of marketing down south. His use of the castle bring many visitors up here.
We have to develop our tourism markets.

Welcomefamily
01-Aug-08, 16:32
Have a look at news bot on org

Average
01-Aug-08, 16:55
I hope its Mey (spelt with an e) you are referring too as a wind swept northern out post and not Caithness..

No it was actually Caithness I was referring to. Are you trying to say that caithness is not a sparsely populated, windswept northern outpost?

TBH
01-Aug-08, 17:25
Who pushed for the Mey selections brands, He contributed towards the setting up meetings of the North highland tourism ltd which does a huge amount of marketing down south. His use of the castle bring many visitors up here.
We have to develop our tourism markets.
Why not Caithness selections then as I surmise they use produce from the whole of Caithness and not mey in particular? How many tourists are attracted to Caithness because he uses the castle? How much prosperity has he brought to caithness as a whole?

Tubthumper
01-Aug-08, 17:30
I believe he's taking the Salute at the Wick parade on Sunday to celebrate 100 years of the TA.
Is that a worthwhile endeavour TBH & Loafer?

TBH
01-Aug-08, 17:33
I believe he's taking the Salute at the Wick parade on Sunday to celebrate 100 years of the TA.
Is that a worthwhile endeavour TBH & Loafer?It would be a worthwhile endeavour as long as lots of people attend, not just him.
Appreciation for 100 years of the T.A would not depend on his presence.

Tubthumper
01-Aug-08, 18:08
Maybe we could get a celebrity to take the salute. How about Jade Goody, she's just launched a new perfume. Or that Scottish bloke off of Big Brother...

joxville
01-Aug-08, 18:13
Maybe we could get a celebrity to take the salute. How about Jade Goody, she's just launched a new perfume. Or that Scottish bloke off of Big Brother...

I'd do it for free and be just as proud, maybe more so, than any Royal or celebrity to take the salute.

superted
01-Aug-08, 18:17
Is that a worthwhile endeavour TBH & Loafer?

A very worthwhile endeavour indeed!!!!

TBH
01-Aug-08, 18:21
Maybe we could get a celebrity to take the salute. How about Jade Goody, she's just launched a new perfume. Or that Scottish bloke off of Big Brother...How about getting a war hero to take the salute, would that be a better idea?

balto
01-Aug-08, 18:36

The Loafer
I think charles is the most down to earth royal that there is, he has kept his promise to still visit caithness once year, good on you charles.

TBH
01-Aug-08, 18:41
I think charles is the most down to earth royal that there is, he has kept his promise to still visit caithness once year, good on you charles.Let's all tug our forelocks, Charles, (the most down to earth royal) has promised to visit the peasants. I must get the wife to squeeze my toothpaste onto the brush for me.

Tubthumper
01-Aug-08, 18:44
I had you down as a real traditionalist TBH, what with the Bignold Park Access Scandal etc. I thought you'd be right alongside keeping things the same as they've always been.
I reckon princess Anne is the most down to earth.

TBH
01-Aug-08, 18:46
I had you down as a real traditionalist TBH, what with the Bignold Park Access Scandal etc. I thought you'd be right alongside keeping things the same as they've always been.
I reckon princess Anne is the most down to earth.I don't mind the tradition of Members of the royal family visiting Caithness but why the hell do people wet themselves with excitement over it?

balto
01-Aug-08, 18:58
I don't mind the tradition of Members of the royal family visiting Caithness but why the hell do people wet themselves with excitement over it?
wouldnt go that far lol, but as future king surly he deserves a bit more respect.

TBH
01-Aug-08, 19:02
wouldnt go that far lol, but as future king surly he deserves a bit more respect.
Why does he deserve respect? Our kids that fight in Afghanistan and Iraq deserve our respect. Our Police deserve our respect, our paramedics, ambulancemen/women, lifeboatmen/women. Why should we respect the royal family?
P.S:
I doubt he will ever be Queen.

balto
01-Aug-08, 19:07
Why does he deserve respect? Our kids that fight in Afghanistan and Iraq deserve our respect. Our Police deserve our respect, our paramedics, ambulancemen/women, lifeboatmen/women. Why should we respect the royal family?
P.S:
I doubt he will ever be Queen.
never said he would make queen, everyone has their own ideas about things, and of course all these people who fight in wars and ambulance/police and who ever else deserve respect, i just believe certain members of the royal family deserve it aswell

TBH
01-Aug-08, 19:09
never said he would make queen, everyone has their own ideas about things, and of course all these people who fight in wars and ambulance/police and who ever else deserve respect, i just believe certain members of the royal family deserve it aswellI'm not downing your beliefs rather wondering why you think a priviledged member of our society deserves respect?

balto
01-Aug-08, 19:10
I'm not downing your beliefs rather wondering why you think a priviledged member of our society deserves respect?
we could go on and on all night, so i am going to stick to my opinion, you stick to yours that way we are all happy.

Loafer
01-Aug-08, 19:13
Jings, I've just looked in since my original post...what a hornet's nest I seem to have opened. As you will have probably guessed, I am totally anti-royalty and the sooner this out-of-date colonial nonsense is done away with in favour of an elected head of state the better (along with the House of Lords). The article below could not have put it better...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2007/jun/01/goodbyetoroyalty

So Charlie boy bums up Caithness, so what? So do 99% of the people that visit our humble community.

I saw a programme years ago about a banquet on board the Brittania and the waiters had to use a ruler to meaure that the knives and forks were exactly right. That is disgraceful in my book, along with Charlies servant putting his toothpaste on his brush for him every morning and handing it to him on bended knee!!!!

The Loafer

TBH
01-Aug-08, 19:13
we could go on and on all night, so i am going to stick to my opinion, you stick to yours that way we are all happy.
We could go on all night but a simple answer would do?

balto
01-Aug-08, 19:17
We could go on all night but a simple answer would do?
you went on about how people in the forces deserve respect, well hasnt charles served in the forces, and didnt one of his sons fight with the rest of them this year, so why dont they deserve respect.

TBH
01-Aug-08, 19:20
you went on about how people in the forces deserve respect, well hasnt charles served in the forces, and didnt one of his sons fight with the rest of them this year, so why dont they deserve respect.Charles didn't see active service and his sons active service is riddled with ? marks.

Welcomefamily
01-Aug-08, 19:40
But its lovely, no body is forced to live here, and it does get a little windy at times.

No it was actually Caithness I was referring to. Are you trying to say that caithness is not a sparsely populated, windswept northern outpost?

Welcomefamily
01-Aug-08, 19:42
Charles didn't see active service and his sons active service is riddled with ? marks.

One of my sons starts his second tour in November, all service men need our respect, but Charles can also be respected he is a very pleasant person.

Welcomefamily
01-Aug-08, 19:59
Lets not forget the Mey Games are for the benefit of the British Legion.

TBH
01-Aug-08, 20:02
One of my sons starts his second tour in November, all service men need our respect, but Charles can also be respected he is a very pleasant person.
He doesn't deserve respect, he needs to earn it, your son by his actions has earned mine, see the difference. I wish your son well.

Tubthumper
01-Aug-08, 20:18
Did you serve TBH?

TBH
01-Aug-08, 20:31
Did you serve TBH?I served.......

bobandag16
01-Aug-08, 20:45
Lets not forget the Mey Games are for the benefit of the British Legion.
sad that he cannot come to my birthday do on tuesday we at daycare bayview will drink his health if it is free. mey more important.:)

golach
01-Aug-08, 21:07
Did you serve TBH?
Both his Father Prince Philip and his uncle Lord Mountbatten saw active service, and he was a CO of a Fishery Protection Minesweeper, so must have chased some poaching Caithness Fishing Boats, is 'at no active service?[lol]

dirdyweeker
01-Aug-08, 21:17
"Heard" he is attending the Wick Parish Church on Sunday. Any truth in that??:confused

joxville
02-Aug-08, 09:30
Without his leadership and involvement helping Castle of Mey, Mey Selections and many other local enterprises - where would they be

Sing to the tune of The Welly Boot Song:

If it wisnae for Prince Charlie where would Mey be
They'd be in the dole office or drowning in the sea
Cause they'd take one look at their books and think 'Oh dearie me'
If they didnae huv Prince Charlie tae support them

(Apologies to McEwen,Connolly)

wifie
02-Aug-08, 10:20
Tubthumper has a lot to answer for! He is inspiring poetic bents all over the Org - GREAT! :D

superted
02-Aug-08, 10:22
He doesn't deserve respect, he needs to earn it, your son by his actions has earned mine, see the difference. I wish your son well.

Ok he may not have served in a war zone like his son, however I have meet him on a few occasions and on each occasion he was supporting the forces in one way or another.

Also all the work he does to support charities...does that not deserve respect!!

Welcomefamily
02-Aug-08, 11:57
I agree just by being at Mey he is supporting the legion's cause and there are many people who do go to it just to get a glimpse of him.
I think the games would die with out him, it will not survive on RAB,s Burgers alone, despite the fact that he makes the best burgers at the Games. :lol:

Welcomefamily
02-Aug-08, 12:15
sad that he cannot come to my birthday do on tuesday we at daycare bayview will drink his health if it is free. mey more important.:)
Im sure one of your residential staff will be in his tent on Saturday

northener
02-Aug-08, 22:19
Jings, I've just looked in since my original post...what a hornet's nest I seem to have opened. As you will have probably guessed, I am totally anti-royalty and the sooner this out-of-date colonial nonsense is done away with in favour of an elected head of state the better (along with the House of Lords). ...........

We had a Republic in the C17th, absolutely nobody was happy with it. Not even the Regicides.

Errogie
03-Aug-08, 10:36
Look give the guy a break, he wears a look of perpetual worry and bewilderment, he's loosing his hair, he talks to plants, he's into quack medicine, has had several mid life crises and is blest with the usual dysfunctional family.

Perhaps we should kidnap and sedate him then lock him up in a padded room in the Castle of Mey and charge for viewing!

Alex. Sutherland

MR J
03-Aug-08, 21:16
He will also open the caithness ct scanner in the hospital,

When is he doing that? I can't find it in the programme of events??

plumber
04-Aug-08, 08:56
He did attend the Parish Church yesterday, It was a service of Thanksgiving and Celebration of 100 years of service by the Caithness Territorial Army. They had a lovely parade from the TA hall this included Ex TA's along with todays lads. A good time was had by all

Tighsonas4
04-Aug-08, 11:13
dont know what hes doing today but high street is all no waiting and as many police and dectives who seem to be the only ones that are showing any interest
at least a lot of police will get double time out of it lol tony

katarina
05-Aug-08, 10:46
Yes Charles was there. I hope he saw the state of the old pavillion as he was visiting just next door. If he had stopped to chat with the onlookers, I would have pointed it out to him and asked for his intervention. I wonder if he reads comments on the org........

Welcomefamily
09-Aug-08, 22:58
I think someone must be, we have certainly had a few more pictures in the local papers.