PDA

View Full Version : Giving directions

Angela
21-Jul-08, 12:18
I'm beginning to wonder if it's only me this keeps happening to.

Quite often visitors stop me in the street here and ask for directions. I really do try to be as helpful as I can, so it's a bit galling when they appear to listen to what I have to say, and sometimes ask me to repeat it -and then scoot off in the opposite direction!

This morning a couple of tourists stopped me and asked me for directions to the Royal Yacht Britannia...miles away. I suggested the bus - we were only a few yards from the stop, and the bus goes all the way there.

No, they wanted to walk -well fair enough, it's a lovely day. I explained the direction to set off in, but said they would need to ask for further directions after a mile or so, as I wasn't sure of every street.

They then asked me if they couldn't walk 'along the river' so I pointed out the steps down to the Water of Leith, again just a few yards away, and explained where it would take them to.

They nodded, thanked me very politely....and immediately rushed off in the opposite direction....:roll:

I can't look that untrustworthy, or they wouldn't stop me in the first place, would they? [para]

Tighsonas4
21-Jul-08, 12:55
[quote=Angela;409555]I'm beginning to wonder if it's only me this keeps happening to.

Quite often visitors stop me in the street here and ask for directions. I really do try to be as helpful as I can, so it's a bit galling when they appear to listen to what I have to say, and sometimes ask me to repeat it -and then scoot off in the opposite direction!

This morning a couple of tourists stopped me and asked me for directions to the Royal Yacht Britannia...miles away. I suggested the bus - we were only a few yards from the stop, and the bus goes all the way there.

No, they wanted to walk -well fair enough, it's a lovely day. I explained the direction to set off in, but said they would need to ask for further directions after a mile or so, as I wasn't sure of every street.

They then asked me if they couldn't walk 'along the river' so I pointed out the steps down to the Water of Leith, again just a few yards away, and explained where it would take them to.

They nodded, thanked me very politely....and immediately rushed off in the opposite direction....:roll:
tell them to get in touch with golach [lol] lol tony

cuddlepop
21-Jul-08, 14:29
Your not alone it happens to me all the time and its usualy people in their cars ,I dont drive so can only give walking directions.
When their English isnt very good we both end up exsasperated.:lol:

Anji
22-Jul-08, 16:08
I don't know why, but in shops,people often mistake me for a member of staff, no matter what I'm wearing. I had to stop going into a certain DIY store wearing my red jacket. Then they seem quite upset when I can't help them. Once in Woollies, I didn't want to disillusion an elderly lady, and so I went and found a real member of staff, asked her the question, and then showed the lady the aisle she wanted.

Melancholy Man
22-Jul-08, 16:12
Angela, Pslam 116:11.

canuck
22-Jul-08, 19:27
Angela, I get it too!

I have only to begin speaking and they quickly realize that with my accent I am not likely to be of any assistance. I am learning my way around the city though. I did get some people to the Waverley Bridge a few weeks ago, but then I was going there myself.

Angela
22-Jul-08, 19:39
I did get some people to the Waverley Bridge a few weeks ago, but then I was going there myself.

I'm sure they'd have found a good guide to the city on Waverley Bridge, canuck!;)

I suspect when visitors thrust a very small map under my nose, saying 'we are here! and we want to be there!' and I start rootling in my bag for my specs they do lose a bit of confidence in me. Of course I know where I am -just not on the map...I am female after all.... :roll:

JAWS
22-Jul-08, 22:53
The ones I used to hate were people who asked for directions and, once given them, would then say, "Wouldn't it be better if...?"
I soon learned that the solution was to agree with them and say I hadn't thought of that.
My evil sense of humour meant I was quite happy to see them set off in the wrong direction.
Just give your best advice and if people do not want to accept it then just shrug and accept that it is their problem, not yours.

dirdyweeker
22-Jul-08, 23:40
I am off to Edinburgh tomorrow for a few days. Do I find Angela and Canuck in the Waverly Bridge area then?;)

Might need directions for all the good shops!!