PDA

View Full Version : Craig Tara Ayr?

young
21-Jul-08, 12:06
Hi was just wondering if anyone has been here recently and what they thought of it?
Was planning on taking my kids in a couple of weeks for a 3 night break and just wondered what peoples opinions are of the park and the activities e.t.c?
Thanks in advance

stekar
21-Jul-08, 13:23
We went to Craig Tara, but it was about 5 years ago.

We found it to be very good for the kids, lots for them to do. Have thought of going back but never got round to it.

Julia
21-Jul-08, 13:34
My mate is just back from a family holiday at Craig Tara, she was not overly impressed, she said the park was run down and the canteen style food was awful. While she was there another family turned up, took one look at their caravan and immediately left!

I'd give those caravans a wide berth pardon the pun [lol]

We are off to Ayr shortly too and intend to visit Loudoun Castle Theme Park, Heads of Ayr Farm Park and Pirate Pete's as she gave them all a massive thumbs up!

Baconbuttie
21-Jul-08, 23:08
Went for a look round a couple of years back as we thought we might be interested in staying there for a holiday but they would not let us in. It says a lot for security but I'm afraid I would feel like being in a prison camp. Stayed at a good place at Gatehouse of Fleet on the Dumfries Coast. See www.auchenlarie.co.uk not as big at Craig Tara but we had a great time. Not much on site to keep the kids entertained though. Has anyone else been there?

baggie boy
22-Jul-08, 14:45
Hi was there last week. Place was run down, dirty and staff were very rude. We had to clean the caravan first and get rid of ants when we first arrived. Not much to do except arcade machines and swimming. It about 3 miles outside Ayr in the country side and the only way into Ayr if you dont want to drive is by Bus (£4 Return per person) or taxi (£12 each way).I will not be going back and would not recommend this place to anybody. For the extra few hours i would recommend Haggerston Castle in Berwick-Upon-Tweed near Newcastle.

But saying that, a friend was there the previous week and loved it and said it was clean!!!

Macwull
22-Jul-08, 18:29
Dont know myself about craig tara, have heard bad reviews but two weeks ago we were at seton sands, this too is owned by haven and I wouldn't really recommend it, we left the park everyday, the caravan was pretty filthy and most things seem to have been worn out and not replaced, think it needs a bit of modernisation. We have been to a couple of parkdean sites (embo and trecco bay in wales) and think they are better quality and would recommend these first. Of course with the soaring price of fuel i think it would be more economical and less of a carbon footprint to go to embo than wales!!!

sharon
22-Jul-08, 21:39
at craig tara the caravan we stayed in had holes in the walls and the seating was broken and had to clean everything before we used it! we had to book as a silver as we were taking our dog, but our dog would of had a better standard if we put her to dunbeth kennels! the best part was the swimming pool! entertainment not that bad!
at seton sands 2weeks ago and wouldn't return there again took our touring caravan but the toilets was really dirty and was run down, the pool was small and a lack of changing cubicles, we ended up going away from the park every day! i much prefer embo or nairn and is closer to home!!

head of ayr was good!
its not so much of a shock if you are prepared for bad accommodation!
enjoy your holiday:lol:

superted
23-Jul-08, 05:32
Anyone been to grannies highland hame at Dornorch recently??

sms
04-Aug-08, 19:17
Just back from a weeks holiday in Sundrum Castle in Ayr, we had a static van for the week, the site was lovely, clean and the staff were nice.
Loads to do in and around ayr. Can i also recommend the Heads of Ayr farm park and Pirate Petes indoor play centre they were fab and the kids loved it.
On our way home we decided to camp at Embo Grannies heilin hame just for one night as the kids love the tent.
I was disgusted with the site it was dirty and the toilets were absolutely filthy, the staff had no manners and it really put me off going back as ive been goin for years. I did speak to the manager about it but he wasnt interested.

superted
04-Aug-08, 22:41
West coast for me then...will be staying away from embo then!!!

BRIE
05-Aug-08, 12:16
we have just been to tummel valley, nr pitlochry. It was excellent immaculately clean & everyone really friendly.Only downside was it was a bit out of the way but site had everything we needed so not much need to go far.would definately recommend it :D

chaz
05-Aug-08, 14:10
Went for a look round a couple of years back as we thought we might be interested in staying there for a holiday but they would not let us in. It says a lot for security but I'm afraid I would feel like being in a prison camp. Stayed at a good place at Gatehouse of Fleet on the Dumfries Coast. See www.auchenlarie.co.uk not as big at Craig Tara but we had a great time. Not much on site to keep the kids entertained though. Has anyone else been there?

Thank you for this, id forgoton about this place didnt even think it was still there! Brings back a lot of memories used to go there as a child :)

Max
16-Aug-08, 18:12
Thank you for this, id forgoton about this place didnt even think it was still there! Brings back a lot of memories used to go there as a child :)

So did I - I'm sure they had pony trekking as well at one time - and a disco at night that everyone went to - it used to be a great place!

jac1791
19-Aug-08, 16:25
hi we went to craig taria a couple o years ago -- booked for 7 nights - left after 2 -- holiday from hell = couldnt wait to get out o the place..
own a caravan in embo -- we all love it -- clean, friendly we have never had any problems -- cant comment on toilet block as i have never used it

chaz
19-Aug-08, 20:57
So did I - I'm sure they had pony trekking as well at one time - and a disco at night that everyone went to - it used to be a great place!

That right they did have pony trecking and a disco at night.Do you remember bingo each day?

We are going to Craig Tara this october as there is a weekend dance competion there , so will report back if im not too shattered from the madness of the weekend!!

hotrod4
24-Aug-08, 20:48
I found it very good. We had a chalet and was spot on, very clean, no problems. The food included is pretty basic but what do you expect for the price you pay? Its a great place but I would recommend Loudon Castle, its Fantastic and isnt that far away on the motorway. Heads of Ayr looks good, but we missed it. Electric Brae is just 5 mins away its worth a "stop" if you pardon the pun!!;)