PDA

View Full Version : Frustration of those who don't know

bekisman
21-Jul-08, 10:39
I've been looking on the org to see how to upload a picture I have on my PC (in this case it's of our 'bird cage' re Greenfinches) it's 2.8 mg photo, and obviously too big to upload. I've tried to find how to do in the places shown - I am amazed how many of 'us' find it difficult to understand the various 'instructions' given.
I'm not thick but I find it (due to age or unfamiliarity?) hard to follow instructions which are bathed in technical and, well, unnecessary jargon - it's the age-old thing of those in the know being unable to explain in language 'we' - not in the know are asking.
My son has a 1st Class Honours in computing from Abertay, he finds it near impossible to explain anything simply to his dad, he's away from home and I 'aint spending hours on the phone/PC trying to ascertain what he's going on about.
I'm an instructor in various disciplines and hopefully could 'instruct' in stages of how a novice would undertake or follow instructions to reach their ultimate goal. I am not computer illiterate - I do produce a 40-page magazine with MS Publisher which has received good reviews from org members reading this (Hi 'S').. Do others find this 'them and us' a problem?

*Martin*
21-Jul-08, 12:36
Have you tried an image resizer? I have infranview (vista) it just compressed a 1.51mb file to 496kb. The quality is still great!

Then go to http://www.photobucket.com and create an account.

justine
21-Jul-08, 13:12
You could try uploading the pic into a photobucket account and resize it in there, i have never had a problem and it helps for many other pic problems. I remember how hard it was to upload anythign until i got it..

Sunflower
21-Jul-08, 22:50
Hi,, there is a post on the "testing ground" by Chamb which gives a step by step account to upload photos. Very user friendly and easy to follow. Hope this helps.

Anji
22-Jul-08, 16:12
You're far from alone Bekisman! I must be technically inept. I printed off the instructions, and tried to follow them step by step, but they might as well have been written in Greek.

scorrie
22-Jul-08, 17:03
If you create an account on Photobucket, you won't need to resize the image. The picture I have pasted into this post sits at 3.33MB on my PC, however, once I uploaded it to Photobucket, it now shows as being 4.49KB in size. I did nothing whatever in the way of editing the image.

Once you have created your Photobucket account, simply click on the "Choose Files" button that sits under the heading "Upload images & video" This will be set by default to look for the file/s on your PC. Once you find the image you want to upload, simply double click on it. It will take a while to upload but once it has done so, simply give the image a name, description and tags, if you want to, and save to your album, again this involves only a simple click of the button. You will now have a thumbnail of your image under the title (if you gave it one). Along the top of the thumnail image there will be five options in blue, eg edit etc. Underneath the thumnail image are four link options in grey writing. The one you want for putting the image on the Org is the bottom one, IMG Code, simply right click on the the part of this on the right hand side that starts with http://
This should turn the box blue and you should now have a pop-up menu with "Copy" as an option. Select copy and you are now ready to go to the Org.

Post a message just as you normally would, when you get to where you want the photo to be, simply right click and select paste. A url starting with [IMG]http:// will appear in your message but when you preview or submit the message, it will disappear and be replaced by the image. There may be other ways of doing it but I find the method I have described here to be the simplest. It is way less involved than it sounds and a couple of goes will see you doing it without difficulty.

I hope this helps, I found it daunting myself at first

[IMG]http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i237/scorrie57/DSCN2031.jpg

This is the image, 3.33MB on my PC but only 4.49KB on Photobucket let us know how you get on. Cheers

Colin Manson
22-Jul-08, 17:09
This is the image, 3.33MB on my PC but only 4.49KB on Photobucket let us know how you get on. Cheers

Don't know where Photobucket is getting that file size from, it's actually 186.12 kB (190585 bytes)

scorrie
22-Jul-08, 21:12
Don't know where Photobucket is getting that file size from, it's actually 186.12 kB (190585 bytes)

That is probably the thumbnail size.

Not trying to be funny, but does it REALLY matter? The point is that it ain't 3.33MB

Has anyone tried my instructions? They seem foolproof to everyone I have spoken to.

Colin Manson
22-Jul-08, 21:54
Not trying to be funny, but does it REALLY matter? The point is that it ain't 3.33MB

Sorry if that came across the wrong way, of course it's better than the original image but I still wouldn't want to download it on dial-up. :eek:

Unless the image is larger than 800x600 I don't see the need for the file size to be greater than 100k. That way people that are still on dial up can view the pictures at a reasonable rate. :)

scorrie
22-Jul-08, 22:56
Sorry if that came across the wrong way, of course it's better than the original image but I still wouldn't want to download it on dial-up. :eek:

Unless the image is larger than 800x600 I don't see the need for the file size to be greater than 100k. That way people that are still on dial up can view the pictures at a reasonable rate. :)

To be honest, if people are still on dial up, they should consider the following:-

1. Drop Betamax as a format
2. Windows 95 was named as such to give you a hint about time to move on.
3. Blu-Ray is a technology, not a naughty nightclub Comedian. ;)