PDA

View Full Version : Another lovely day at the beach.....for some.

Venture
21-Jul-08, 08:22
I can't believe that people could go back to sunbathing and playing football on a beach where two young children have just drowned. The least they could have done was to show them some respect. Nobody cares what happens to these poor "street" children. A sad sight in this day and age.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1036760/Pictured-Chilling-indifference-Italians-sunbathing-just-yards-covered-bodies-drowned-Roma-children.html

router
21-Jul-08, 09:44
absolutely disgusting,especially from a people who are supposed to be so family/children orientated.
just shows that racism and bigotry have no boundaries.

Foxy
21-Jul-08, 11:31
I'm just amazed at how these people could continue to sunbathe after such a tragedy and the bodies still lying on the beach. No matter wether they were street kids they still deserved respect and it shows what a sad place the world has become. :(

Average
21-Jul-08, 15:01
You have no idea why these people remained on the beach. Maybe they were in shock.

There is nothing anyone could do, the kids were dead.

I dont think it shows a lack of respect. What do you think would show respect?

hotrod4
21-Jul-08, 15:17
That was shocking that even the deaths wont stop people "topping up their tan".
Shocking

KCI
21-Jul-08, 19:18
I found this really shocking.

Average - I'm sorry, but I can't understand why you think this does not show a lack of respect - or maybe it's just me? :confused

We are talking about 2 dead children here. Whatever race, colour, origin etc, they were just children. As you say, we have no idea why these people remained on the beach, but it does say that they refused to move. The article also states that other people carried on playing football on the beach. I'm the first to admit that I am not a professional, but if you are in shock, you don't usually play football......

I feel so sad for these poor children.

Ash
21-Jul-08, 19:39
i really was disgusted at this article and the pics posted aswell werent needed

teenybash
21-Jul-08, 20:03
Shock, disbelief, disgust....................these little souls should have been shown some respect and dignity.....words fail me.:~(

Rheghead
21-Jul-08, 20:23
It's just another 'Daily Mail' story looking through the narrow eyes of the camera.

Imagine yourself being on holiday on a crowded beach in a foreign country and you come across two 'bodies' with towels over them. Are you going to even notice them? That might explain the 'indifference' to some of the people looking on or walking past. Crikey, unless someone actually pointed it out to me, I wouldn't even notice because I generally 'try' to keep my eyes to myself when it comes to other people on a beach.

Having just been on a photography course, I can appreciate how a camera and a bit of commentary can affect the viewers perception of what is really going on here.

Average
22-Jul-08, 15:16
Correct. Images would have been taken from distance with a long lens which will compress the perspective making it look loke these folk closer than they actually are.

But that really doesnt matter. The world doesnt stop because two wee girls die. If you were on holiday, at a crowded beech and had heard that someone the beach had had a heart attack and died would you leave? I wouldnt. A body is a body, sure I wouldnt sit next to it but I wouldnt let some strangers death ruin my day. They are dead after all, they dont know if you are there sunbathing or not. Its sad but be rational. Its stupid to brand every one on that beach as heartless. You dont know the facts.

We still use roads during accidents.

skinnydog
22-Jul-08, 16:13
It is a really sad story and I can understand everyone's comments. But if you think it is disrespectful that people continued using the beach, how long do you think is acceptable to wait? Hours, days, weeks?

_Ju_
22-Jul-08, 16:18
On Jeremy Vine (BBC2 radio) there was once a discussion about how people are direspectful to passing funeral corteges (?) nowadays. People used to doff their hats when a hearse was passing, but now they even get cut off in traffic. That is a sad reflection of how self centered people are.

How long would one expect respect to be shown? Just as long as it took to remove the bodies of those two children. I would not expect more. Peoples indiferrence is chilling.

TBH
22-Jul-08, 16:21
Death is nothing now, people are mostly decensitized nowadays.
Very little shocks me now, even that, sad isn't it.

Venture
22-Jul-08, 17:04
Correct. Images would have been taken from distance with a long lens which will compress the perspective making it look loke these folk closer than they actually are.

But that really doesnt matter. The world doesnt stop because two wee girls die. If you were on holiday, at a crowded beech and had heard that someone the beach had had a heart attack and died would you leave? I wouldnt. A body is a body, sure I wouldnt sit next to it but I wouldnt let some strangers death ruin my day. They are dead after all, they dont know if you are there sunbathing or not. Its sad but be rational. Its stupid to brand every one on that beach as heartless. You dont know the facts.

We still use roads during accidents.

Shame on me for having the nerve to criticise these people for getting on with topping up their tans and having a good time playing football next to a couple of dead children. On this occasion the article quite clearly states that they are sitting yards from the bodies. Its a big beach they could have moved away from the scene to another part of the beach, particularly when the bodies were being picked up and taken away. As to your suggestion to be rational, no thanks. In a situation like that, I'd rather be human and show some respect for the dead, even if I didn't know them.

KCI
22-Jul-08, 19:10
It is a really sad story and I can understand everyone's comments. But if you think it is disrespectful that people continued using the beach, how long do you think is acceptable to wait? Hours, days, weeks?

Don't you think it might have been more acceptable to at least wait until the poor children had been moved off the beach?
To remain in the same position on the beach, just yards away from the poor children, shows a level of disrespect, in my opinion. The article states that the people were just yards away, and also states that they refused to move. So, it doesn't really sound like a trick from the camera, if the article is true.
I wouldn't expect people to stay away from the beach for hours, days or weeks. I just think it would have been better to stay off the beach, or at least move away, until the children had been moved.
That's just my opinion. As far as I am concerned, 2 young children lost their lives, and they deserved more respect and decency than they were shown. :(

George Brims
22-Jul-08, 20:29
I agree with the people posting here who say those children should have been shown more respect by the tourists on the beach. I also think the Daily Mail could have reported the incident without the tasteless pictures.

TBH
22-Jul-08, 20:36
I agree with the people posting here who say those children should have been shown more respect by the tourists on the beach. I also think the Daily Mail could have reported the incident without the tasteless pictures.
I agree George, who could forget the pictures of the twin towers in flames with people jumping to their deaths and if that wasn't enough the editors allowed a circle to be put around the individuals just to make sure you didn't miss it. How disgusting was that?

Melancholy Man
22-Jul-08, 20:53
I don't have a problem with the pictures, per se. The children's faces weren't shown, and there was no obvious clue that they were dead, just the caption. We see far worse from Iraq or Pakistan daily.

The beachgoers have been quite unlucky as individuals. The children were unaccompanied and rushed into the sea without consideration: by all accounts, bystanders and lifeguards rushed to save them (and did rescue two) and the police did not arrive immediately. How easy it is to acquiesce to the crowd when there's no-one to give a nudge.

However, I have every reason to suspect it would have been different had it been two identifiably Italian children. The Roma
are pretty shoddily treated in Italy, and this did reflect the indifference displayed by many. And that's before we get onto the new fascist mayor of Rome: I don't mean the fake plastic right-winger Prime Minister, ghastly orange spiv that he is, this is the real McCoy.

The story's been picked up across the world, so it cannot be linked just to the Daily Mail. Although I would suggest this newspaper is having a dig at inhumane foreigners - consider the, mostly at least, firewalling of the McCanns from criticism whilst laying it on with a trowel for the Portuguese police. I can't remember for sure, but its reporting of the murder of Toni-Anne Byfield doesn't appear to have been used to damn British society inclusive.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-260199/Agencies-slammed-Toni-Ann-murder.html

Factoid, Morningside in Edinburgh was, in the 15th Century, a Roma/Gypsy colony; hence, I'm told, the biblical-sounding street names thereabouts.

TBH
22-Jul-08, 21:56
I don't have a problem with the pictures, per se. The children's faces weren't shown, and there was no obvious clue that they were dead, just the caption. We see far worse from Iraq or Pakistan daily.

The beachgoers have been quite unlucky as individuals. The children were unaccompanied and rushed into the sea without consideration: by all accounts, bystanders and lifeguards rushed to save them (and did rescue two) and the police did not arrive immediately. How easy it is to acquiesce to the crowd when there's no-one to give a nudge.

However, I have every reason to suspect it would have been different had it been two identifiably Italian children. The Roma
are pretty shoddily treated in Italy, and this did reflect the indifference displayed by many. And that's before we get onto the new fascist mayor of Rome: I don't mean the fake plastic right-winger Prime Minister, ghastly orange spiv that he is, this is the real McCoy.

The story's been picked up across the world, so it cannot be linked just to the Daily Mail. Although I would suggest this newspaper is having a dig at inhumane foreigners - consider the, mostly at least, firewalling of the McCanns from criticism whilst laying it on with a trowel for the Portuguese police. I can't remember for sure, but its reporting of the murder of Toni-Anne Byfield doesn't appear to have been used to damn British society inclusive.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-260199/Agencies-slammed-Toni-Ann-murder.html

Factoid, Morningside in Edinburgh was, in the 15th Century, a Roma/Gypsy colony; hence, I'm told, the biblical-sounding street names thereabouts.I'm more worried about the fake, plastic left wingers!

DeHaviLand
22-Jul-08, 22:07
The article states that the people were just yards away, and also states that they refused to move. So, it doesn't really sound like a trick from the camera, if the article is true.

A favourite ploy of the press to sensationalise a story, I'm afraid to say. "The people were just yards away". Of course they were. But was that 5 yards away? 20 yards maybe, or 100 yards? How about 500?

I was just yards away as well, but I havent bothered to work out just how many.

My sympathys go to the families of the deceased.

northener
22-Jul-08, 22:25
What? The great Blitish tabloid press sensationalising a story involving dead kids and furriners?

I don't believe it.

Melancholy Man
22-Jul-08, 23:14
I'm more worried about the fake, plastic left wingers!

Oh, they'll be out in force to defend Dragan Dadic as a victim of Western imperialism.

Average
22-Jul-08, 23:25
I'd rather be human and show some respect for the dead, even if I didn't know them.

Why would leaving the beach be showing respect? Why is removing your hat when a body goes by in a hearse considered respectful? Who are you showing respect to? The person is dead, they have no capability of feeling disrespected.

What you are talking about is tradition, it was once traditional the stop and remove your hat when a funeral drives past. Traditions fade. When the current baby boomer generation die all these old traditions will die with them. Its just the way it goes.

Average
22-Jul-08, 23:27
I'm more worried about the fake, plastic left wingers!

Is a "fake, plastic left winger" actually a right winger then?

DeHaviLand
22-Jul-08, 23:29
Why would leaving the beach be showing respect? Why is removing your hat when a body goes by in a hearse considered respectful? Who are you showing respect to? The person is dead, they have no capability of feeling disrespected.

What you are talking about is tradition, it was once traditional the stop and remove your hat when a funeral drives past. Traditions fade. When the current baby boomer generation die all these old traditions will die with them. Its just the way it goes.

If I'm on the street and a funeral cortege goes past, I will stop and bow my head. Something I learned from my parents and grandparents, none of whom were particularly religious. Its a mark of respect alright, respect for the feelings of those who have been bereaved.

Average
22-Jul-08, 23:44
respect for the feelings of those who have been bereaved.

I can understand that, I can understand that the bereaved may appreciate the gesture. But in the case of these wee girls there was no bereaved there, its just two pieces of meat on the beach.

brandy
23-Jul-08, 06:22
that is truly horrible and disgraceful average!
they were not just two pieces of meat on the beach!
it was two little girls, who had thoughts and hopes and dreams.
whom someone loved and cared for.
just because their parents were not their when they drowned an the hour they lay on the
beach dosent mean anything.
how many children run loose in wick every day?
how long would an 11 year old wick child lay like a piece of meat on the shore..
alone and abandoned while their mum and dad were found?
its all well and good to look at it from lofty heights when its not laid at our front doors.
but if it was me, i would never ever have left two little lost souls alone and abandned on a beach to carry on my merry way.
every single child and life is precious. and as human beings who are suppose to be higher up the chain than animals. we should grieve and feel pain and loss even when its complete strangers. because we have lost one of our fellow man.
thats why we should show respect for the dead and bow our heads and pause a moment when a funeral passes. not because its tradition ,because we are being respectful to humanity and mourning the passing of one of our own.
the world is a big place and their are billions of people in it, but without those people the world would be nothing. every single person on this planet makes a dif. in some small way. so yes i think that we should respect their passing. even if its just to take a moment and quietly say in your heart and mind, what a tragedy, and spare a thought for the loss and the ones left behind.

KCI
23-Jul-08, 08:47
its just two pieces of meat on the beach.

Sorry - but that comment is totally out of order.
I'm not going to say any more, as I really don't want to get personal, but I think you should think about what you have said. :(

Venture
23-Jul-08, 09:30
I'm not going to say any more, as I really don't want to get personal, but I think you should think about what you have said. :(

I agree 100% with you KCI.

Posting a statement like that Average, shows a complete lack of sensitivity to the feelings or circumstances of others. Your choice of words to describe these two girls is despicable.

_Ju_
23-Jul-08, 09:41
Even mamals that live in groups show that they sense loss. As humans we like to pride ourselves above anamalistc behaviour, yet these humans (????????????????????????? the sense of this word is now often lost to me) have gone to less that what an elephant, dolphin, lion or tiger would show behaviourally, when loosing one of theirs.

Melancholy Man
23-Jul-08, 15:01
But in the case of these wee girls there was no bereaved there, its just two pieces of meat on the beach.

Two bits of covered 'meat', so already there was some deference.

benji
23-Jul-08, 16:09

Agree, the point could have been made in much less unsettling language

Melancholy Man
23-Jul-08, 21:39
For what's it's worth, I don't think Average was being overly tasteless about the girls; and he certainly wasn't implying that he thought this about them. Others have said the beachgoers were more interested in topping up their tans, which implies they thought they were "pieces of meat".

That said, I think Average (and the tenor of this discussion) is wrong. The response of the beachgoers is, as others have suggested, no more callous than our not leaping out of our cars and beating our heads on the ground when we pass a cordoned off RTA.

rob murray
24-Jul-08, 13:55

Factoid, Morningside in Edinburgh was, in the 15th Century, a Roma/Gypsy colony; hence, I'm told, the biblical-sounding street names thereabouts.

Very well put...their is an established history of violence to gypsies in Italy, very recently, it was reported on BBC Scotland that people were burned out of sites / camps....I think people should interpret the so called "indifference" shown within this context. Ok you can argue all you want about camera angles etc, but events must be interpreted within actual context.