PDA

View Full Version : Karma - Do You Believe In It?

wifie
20-Jul-08, 13:19
The other day I asked my daughter to do a simple thing to help out at home. When I got a grouchy look I said, "Think of the good Karma you will get!" I tried to explain Karma to her and off she went. Moments later she was back asking what was gonna happen or what she was gonna get! Hmmmmm - she was not so convinced when she realised that Karma was not instant! :roll: the impatience of youth!

Margaret M.
20-Jul-08, 13:54
I absolutely believe in Karma. It may be big or small, good or bad and it may take a while or be very swift.

I was talking to a friend on the phone about an ant problem she had in her house. I must admit that I thought if her home were a little cleaner she may not have the problem. Not an hour later, I opened the door to my utility room and there was an army of ants, hundreds, marching into my trash can. It was surreal. I had never had them before and I haven't seen one since that day but it taught the queen of clean a valuable lesson.

Last week a few of us were talking about the speeding tickets we had. One of my friends said she had been driving for almost 40 years and because she did not speed, she had no tickets. When she left, she drove less than half a mile before she was pulled for speeding -- 51 in a 35, no less.

Rheghead
20-Jul-08, 14:05
What is Karma anyway?:confused

Is it to do with if you get all frustrated about the jobs mounting up and when you finally do them, you feel calmer?

wifie
20-Jul-08, 14:11
Rheggers according to wiki Karma is this: -
"The philosophical explanation of karma can differ slightly between traditions, but the general concept is basically the same. Through the law of karma, the effects of all deeds actively create past, present, and future experiences, thus making one responsible for one's own life, and the pain and joy it brings to him/her and others."

To me it means - all things happen for a reason! I have a load of good examples in my life but would not bore ya with them! :)

justine
20-Jul-08, 14:26
depending on your beliefs this link may help..

http://buddhism.kalachakranet.org/karma.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/jainism/beliefs/karma.shtml

or in laymens terms
"what goes around comes around"..

golach
20-Jul-08, 14:32
I believe in fate, if that is Karma then so be it :)

Rheghead
20-Jul-08, 14:53
Rheggers according to wiki Karma is this: -
"The philosophical explanation of karma can differ slightly between traditions, but the general concept is basically the same. Through the law of karma, the effects of all deeds actively create past, present, and future experiences, thus making one responsible for one's own life, and the pain and joy it brings to him/her and others."

To me it means - all things happen for a reason! I have a load of good examples in my life but would not bore ya with them! :)

That sounds like what Glenn Hoddle believes in. He made a comment about a disabled person and how they deserved it through Karma from actions they did in the past. He was subsequently sacked from the England Football manager's job for making bad comments about disabled people.

teenybash
20-Jul-08, 15:05
I believe Karma can relate to our present lives as well as, perhaps, future lives.
Within our present life, decisions and actions in the past determines our present and future.........in other words, consequences either good, bad, neither or both. :roll:

router
20-Jul-08, 16:03
sorry not me,no beleif in karma at all

cuddlepop
20-Jul-08, 16:09
I too believe in Karma wish it was my turn soon.:(

wifie
20-Jul-08, 16:29
That sounds like what Glenn Hoddle believes in. He made a comment about a disabled person and how they deserved it through Karma from actions they did in the past. He was subsequently sacked from the England Football manager's job for making bad comments about disabled people.

Yep I realise this can work both ways. I am more about spreadin the love - which I realise is not always possible too. I just feel that if we look properly at things something that, on the surface, may look like a bad thing that has happened to us has actually happened for a purpose and has made us stronger to face something more terrible. There is good and bad karma. Perhaps I am just tryin to put a positive spin on life on this earth but hey is that a bad thing?

Oddquine
20-Jul-08, 16:34
Don't know if I believe in Karma...............is it the same as "what goes around, comes around"?

TBH
20-Jul-08, 16:45
That sounds like what Glenn Hoddle believes in. He made a comment about a disabled person and how they deserved it through Karma from actions they did in the past. He was subsequently sacked from the England Football manager's job for making bad comments about disabled people.I wonder if he still holds those beliefs and if he could have that time back would he have been so vocal with them?

Kathy@watten
20-Jul-08, 16:47
Oh yes I believe in karma I truly believe what comes around goes around and a good deed will repay itself in time, treat others as you would wish to be treated and you can't go too far wrong! watch Earl and see..ok a bit far fetched but in a small way true!

teenybash
20-Jul-08, 16:48
I too believe in Karma wish it was my turn soon.:(

When you posted and shared the wondeful Connies last days, you may not have realised the positive energy you were sending out to others, showing them how to cope with sadness.Also when you shared your sons traumatic experience of a HIA again your positive energy would have done the same for someone, somewhere.
Trust that when the time is right the goodness and hopeful thoughts you held in your heart and all that you done, will be recognised and will be returned to you, many times over.

When we hear a great Whoosh and sigh of relief emanating from our pc's we will all know Cuddlepops Karma has arrived and all will wait eagerly for you to share your happiness with us.:)

TBH
20-Jul-08, 16:49
Is this a Wiccan belief Wifie, are you a 'Witchy Woman'?

Mik.M.
20-Jul-08, 16:55
Karma exists just watch " My name is Earl" on channel 4. What goes around comes around,is what we used to say doon sooth. It means that if someone does something bad then they will get something bad happen to them and if you do something good then something good will happen to you.

wifie
20-Jul-08, 17:05
Is this a Wiccan belief Wifie, are you a 'Witchy Woman'?

TBH I have probs been called worse ;) The belief I have in it is look beyond the obvious and I like the "taking responsibility for one's own life" part too. I am discovering that I am me and yep some rubbish may have happened to me in the past but ultimately it is up to me to decide how I use this.

Anji
20-Jul-08, 18:43
I believe in Karma (the law of cosmic cause and effect) but it's a common misbelief to think that by doing something good you can collect good luck for yourself. If your good deed was just done to collect good karma (in other words to help yourself) then it will not work.

Julia
20-Jul-08, 19:18
I absolutely, completely and utterly believe in Karma, I have a lot of faith that one day many will have their comeuppance!

martin macdonald
20-Jul-08, 19:55
What is Karma anyway?:confused

Is it to do with if you get all frustrated about the jobs mounting up and when you finally do them, you feel calmer?i think its an indian dish?:confused

Venture
20-Jul-08, 19:58
[lol] No Martin I think you mean Korma.

Angela
20-Jul-08, 21:30
I don't believe in karma -not in this lifetime anyway. Not everyone gets what they deserve -good or bad.

I do believe people should try to live a 'good' life and take responsibility for their actions. Sometimes good things can come out of out of the most dreadful situations if we allow them to.

Gleber2
20-Jul-08, 21:41
Fired for telling the truth!!!!!!!!!!!

wifie
20-Jul-08, 22:27
i think its an indian dish?:confused

There is always one! ;)

scorrie
21-Jul-08, 00:29
I don't believe in karma -not in this lifetime anyway. Not everyone gets what they deserve -good or bad.

I do believe people should try to live a 'good' life and take responsibility for their actions. Sometimes good things can come out of out of the most dreadful situations if we allow them to.

I have to agree. My Wife's Mum has led a decent life, never took a penny off anyone, always shared what she had and never failed to put her kids above everything else. Recently she had a serious stroke and faced the good news/bad news scenario.

Good news:- "You're recovering slowly from the stroke"
Bad news:- "You're riddled with Cancer and have only months to live"

"What goes around, comes around, and death by Cancer just landed in your lap. (Plus a few other places) You shouldn't have cheated Joy out of those ten bucks all them years ago Missy"

Earl Hickey

theone
21-Jul-08, 03:16
Whether Karma exists or not I think living your life like it does is the best way.

Anne x
21-Jul-08, 10:05
My mother always said you only get back in life what you put into it and What goes around comes around
A lot of families appear to get more than there fair share of Troubles and Illness while others sail through life
As long as we cope with whats put in front of us anyway we can and get through it hopefully making the right decisions and still able to lend a hand to others thats my Karma well it gives me peace

sweetpea
21-Jul-08, 22:56
Oh dear, I'm afraid I totally believe in it and can recognise when I've put good or bad stuff out there. These days I try to limit it to good vibes only.

Tighsonas4
22-Jul-08, 12:45
The other day I asked my daughter to do a simple thing to help out at home. When I got a grouchy look I said, "Think of the good Karma you will get!" I tried to explain Karma to her and off she went. Moments later she was back asking what was gonna happen or what she was gonna get! Hmmmmm - she was not so convinced when she realised that Karma was not instant! :roll: the impatience of youth!
you seem to have a wealth of knowledge wifie
took the spelling wrong and looked for carasmia which is different
back to the drawing board [lol] tony

wifie
22-Jul-08, 12:55
Carasmia Tigh? Now you have got me so :confused - :)

Tighsonas4
22-Jul-08, 18:08
Carasmia Tigh? Now you have got me so :confused - :)
means lively like yourself [lol]have had to google your word and it relates initially to buddism regards tony

Gleber2
22-Jul-08, 18:15
In order to embrace the true concept of karma, one has to also embrace the concept of re-incarnation. I have no doubt of either.

balto
22-Jul-08, 18:28
oh i definatly do believe in karma, what goes around comes around, big beliver in it.

TBH
23-Jul-08, 00:49
In order to embrace the true concept of karma, one has to also embrace the concept of re-incarnation. I have no doubt of either.Just because you believe that Glen Hoddle was justifiably sacked, why should we believe that ergo it has anything to do with re-incarnation rather than a misinformed statement which warranted him being given the boot?

Gleber2
23-Jul-08, 01:08
Just because you believe that Glen Hoddle was justifiably sacked, why should we believe that ergo it has anything to do with re-incarnation rather than a misinformed statement which warranted him being given the boot?
I do not believe that Hoddle was justifiably sacked. As far as my personal philosophies are concerned, what he said was true.

TBH
23-Jul-08, 01:55
I do not believe that Hoddle was justifiably sacked. As far as my personal philosophies are concerned, what he said was true.My mistake Gleber, you believe that what he said was true, ie, that all handicapped people deserve their current lives as a punishment for some percieved misdemeanour in a former one.

Gleber2
23-Jul-08, 02:37
My mistake Gleber, you believe that what he said was true, ie, that all handicapped people deserve their current lives as a punishment for some percieved misdemeanour in a former one.
In essence, yes, but this is a very simplistic explanation for something infinitely more complicated.

gleeber
14-Aug-08, 20:38
Fired for telling the truth!!!!!!!!!!!

It's been a while since I posted on the org but something happened last week that prompted me to return. I was challenged about some views made on the org by someone else called gleber but i managed to sort it out pretty quickly because i had been following this thread a couple of months ago.
My views about Karma is that it is nothing more than the contents of an individuals head, (admittingly there's loads o them with their heads full of karma), so I'm not really knocking the belief, but I do object when disabled people are labeled as sinful mutants from some past life.
Surely no one can justify that condemnation no matter how complicated the argument?

Glen Hoddle was a fall guy for an industry that turns millions maybe billions world wide, It's big business just like any religion but if innocent people get branded in such a way because of the contents of Glen Hoddles head then I think theres something wrong with the belief. Christianity has it and other religions too. Even science has it so there's no hope for us. God bless.

trix
14-Aug-08, 21:57
God bless.

indeed gleeber - welcome back pal ;)

northener
14-Aug-08, 22:07
I think Karma (good or bad) is merely something for people to cling onto.

We would like to think that we can control the uncontrollable by our chosen course of action and, hopefully, achieve some sort of perceived reward for our good actions - whilst hoping others bad actions will result in misfortune for them.

It's one of the basics of most religions that good actions will result in good things - either in this life or the afterlife and bad actions will result in misfortune. It's a nice crutch for people to lean on in bad times, or to create a sense of worth in a world that is indifferent to their existance.

A nice concept - but that's all it is and has no basis in reality.

But..........if everyone believed in Karma and acted accordingly - the world would be a better place.

sweetpea
14-Aug-08, 22:22
I think Karma (good or bad) is merely something for people to cling onto.

We would like to think that we can control the uncontrollable by our chosen course of action and, hopefully, achieve some sort of perceived reward for our good actions - whilst hoping others bad actions will result in misfortune for them.

It's one of the basics of most religions that good actions will result in good things - either in this life or the afterlife and bad actions will result in misfortune. It's a nice crutch for people to lean on in bad times, or to create a sense of worth in a world that is indifferent to their existance.

A nice concept - but that's all it is and has no basis in reality.

But..........if everyone believed in Karma and acted accordingly - the world would be a better place.

I do realy feel that we can all control outcomes and have choices in life, it's up to us what ones we make and by looking at what can happen as a consequence then I think this can make us pick the right ones. Beliefs, Actions and Consequences have different end results depending on what we set out to do.
Other thing is that if you go through them in your head and pick the worst case scenario then your informed and know deep down what wil happen. Think lucky!

trix
14-Aug-08, 23:27
good posts....N an SP

That sounds like what Glenn Hoddle believes in. He made a comment about a disabled person and how they deserved it through Karma from actions they did in the past.

its no a case o' 'deservin' til be disabled, its more the disabled person (unborn soul) has choosen their disabilities for whatever reason.

its all mapped oot by yersel before yer born - til a certain degree, ye understand...

as for karma, i think its a psychological thing. its aboot how ye feel aboot yersel an yer whole perception on life. guid things happen til people an bad things happen til people, its how ye deal wi'ed, how ye feel aboot'ed that brings yer karma.
i guess its yer ootlook on life - ats what am tryin til say :lol:

teenybash
14-Aug-08, 23:50
Of course there is such a thing as Karma as it means.....'life', living and doing, even the most mundane tasks, with a sense of having done the best you can. It is not about life rising up and drop kicking you or vengence being reaped on the heads of wrong doers...it is simply seeking how to achieve a sense of fullfilment and joy even in the simple everyday things that lead to the bigger picture and the part you have played in life itself.
Karma being used as a term relating to someone getting their comeuppance is wrong..................Simply put it means finding a way to do things better until you feel you have got it right and it satisfies you aswell as seeking to find satisfaction even in the boring and repetative bits that finally leads you to what you set out to achieve.

The book 'The Bhagavad Vita' explains much better than I.

Rheghead
14-Aug-08, 23:52
its no a case o' 'deservin' til be disabled, its more the disabled person (unborn soul) has choosen their disabilities for whatever reason.

So in your logic it is a case of "Please can I have a case cerebralpalsi because of any old reason"?:~(

trix
15-Aug-08, 09:19
So in your logic it is a case of "Please can I have a case cerebralpalsi because of any old reason"?:~(

eh...aye!

im a firm believer in reincarnation by choice. one lifetime may seem lek a long time til ye/me but in 'e scale o' time, it is a drop in 'e ocean.

its lek a single blade o' gress in a field...

unless ye understand 'e full picture then ye wilna understand....but da feel bad aboot'ed, wur brains are tuned so we da understand :lol:

otherwise, what wid be 'e point.....

Sandra_B
15-Aug-08, 10:04
No, I don't believe in karma. I've seen too many good people get treated like dirt and too many nasty people breeze through life getting everything handed to them.

Thumper
15-Aug-08, 10:17
I am a firm believer in Karma,you get back what you put out so I am always careful of how I treat others,even peeps that i dont like!That said sometimes it does seem to take an age for Karma to catch up with some people,but it always does in the end and thats when you can sit back and laugh (but not too hard or karma may try to teach you a lesson too :p ) x

Satcomguy333
15-Aug-08, 11:45
I don't believe in karma, fate or destiny (as the terms are usually used) at all. Of course everything that you do has a consequence, but to look for links between all actions or attitudes and particular events that occur in your life (or someone else's) doesn't make sense to me. The need to look for those connections seems to be part of the human condition, I think, as most religions address it in some form or other, but I just don't see them.

Perhaps a lot of it is tied up with the need to believe that we have a purpose in order to "make sense" of what we go through in life....

Satcomguy333
15-Aug-08, 12:19
Glen Hoddle was a fall guy for an industry that turns millions maybe billions world wide, It's big business just like any religion but if innocent people get branded in such a way because of the contents of Glen Hoddles head then I think theres something wrong with the belief. Christianity has it and other religions too. Even science has it so there's no hope for us. God bless.

Gleeber, I don't understand what you're trying to say about science....:confused:

northener
15-Aug-08, 15:27
The opposite side of the Karma coin is predestination, again it is usually Belief linked and states that all things are pre-ordained and therefore we have no control over events that shape our lives.

This makes the ideology of 'Karma' pointless to those who believe in the concept of predestination - if it is already written - there is nothing you can do to change that course of events.
It's probably best summed up in the Islamic phrase "In'shAllah" - God willing.

Luther commented on this in one of his works and summed up the Muslims' attitude thus:

"For they will say with the Epicureans: “Let us live, eat, and drink; tomorrow we shall die” (cf. 1 Cor. 15:32). After the manner of the Turks they will rush rashly into the sword and fire, since the hour in which you either die or escape has been predetermined." *

Also certain Puritan sects believe in predestination, in the late C16th and early C17th there were a number of Protestants in Britain who believed they were already chosen through predestination to enter Heaven - they described themselves as 'The Elect'.
Their position was unassailable when it came to doing what they believed were 'Great Works' - they knew they were going to Heaven but had a duty to do as much good for the Glory of God whilst on Earth.

So that's the flip side of 'Karma' - one could say that Karma preposesses one with a belief that one must do good to get good, the other attitude is that it is already good, but you'd better do something to prove you're worth it...........

*So Islamic 'extremism' is nothing new...in fact, you could draw parallels with the more radical sections of the Puritans and the Protestant New Model Army.

teenybash
15-Aug-08, 23:51
Perhaps predestination is the opposite of Karma and all that we do is already written........................ but we have free will and choices of how we get there....what roads and paths to follow and as we wander down lifes way we create our own Karma good or bad......:)

joxville
16-Aug-08, 00:02
I believe we have several lives to live and that we have already agreed to live the life we have-the outcome is down to our free will on which paths to take on our journey. The easy path but less rewarding or the difficult path but fulfillment from having done it.

Welcomefamily
17-Aug-08, 11:57
Could you not just put it down to behaviour, some one who is not very nice to people and is disliked is more likely to have something bad happen to them.
Someone who is good natured is going to recieve more positive reinforcement and possibly more opportunity because people feel better about them.

Even a car breaking down, the garage took greater care over the servicing of the car of the very well liked customer. Likewise could you not also be infering your interpretation of a good event while you spend your day looking for Karma?

Do you want to buy a cornish pixie?

northener
17-Aug-08, 13:27
Do you want to buy a cornish pixie?

Yes please, I quite like the Ginsters Past...'Pixies'?:eek:

Hang on. - Isn't illegal to trade live pixies on line?

Welcomefamily
17-Aug-08, 14:34
Still got to catch one first, they were busy last night, Once again I got home very late left mybag down stairs, shoes in stair way, takeaway packet on table, dirty plate in sink. I woke up this morning clothes had been folded, take away put away washing up done, and a cold cup of tea next to my bed.
I have to tell me wife when she get back from work, Im sure she be surprised. :D

northener
17-Aug-08, 15:16
............I have to tell me wife when she get back from work, Im sure she be surprised. :D

I feel bad Karma as about to come your way, friend..........probably through the medium of your wife.

joxville
17-Aug-08, 15:22
I feel bad Karma as about to come your way, friend..........probably through the medium of your wife.

For his sake I hope she is a medium and not a large. [lol]

Welcomefamily
17-Aug-08, 15:43
Yes on second thoughts, who was it who said ignorance is blist
Ill might get some brownie points.