PDA

View Full Version : No Finches This Summer?

nellie
20-Jul-08, 10:01
Has anyone else noticed that there doesn't appear to be any finches around this summer? I last noticed one in May.

Kevin Milkins
20-Jul-08, 10:40
Has anyone else noticed that there doesn't appear to be any finches around this summer? I last noticed one in May.

We see the green finch often and the chaffinch has started to visit the bird table.

Kevin Milkins
20-Jul-08, 10:46
I forget to say wellcome to the org nessie.
and this thread will proberbly get kicked into the twitchers section.
While we are talking about birds though ,I just had the privalige of seeing Nethy the eldest of the Loch Garten Ospreys take her first flight at 10 am this morning
If you want to log on to the web cam visit the bird watching section.

Lavenderblue2
20-Jul-08, 10:51
They must all be in my garden Nellie - last week my bird feeder fell over in the wind scattering peanuts, mixed seed and niger seed. I thought I'd leave nature to clean it up and this morning there were no less than 12 greenfinches and 2 chaffinces feeding away - what a sight!

LB :)

bekisman
20-Jul-08, 11:21
For a long time our bird table was 'mobbed' by rock doves and gulls and the odd hooded crow, so built a 5ft x 5ft cage (using 3 x 3 posts - for the wind) covered with green coated wire with a two inch mesh, and put a new bird-table and hangers in side. (there's folk reading this have seen it.)
Only birds under that size can get in - last year we had 62 greenfinches and this year - so far, 58 at one time! (only managed to count 'em when it was a drizzling day and they were all on the power line above, stayed still long enough to count 'em with the binos!)..
We're planning this winter to extend it to 11ft x 11ft x 6ft high, as these finches are a bolshie lot and chase out the hedge sparrows and chaffinches, intend having it more 'natural' with a tree branch fixed in and less hangers and more seed on the floor...

nellie
20-Jul-08, 14:35
thanks to all who replied there seems to be lots of crows about

Anji
20-Jul-08, 18:48
We have lots of finches at our bird table. Mainly greenfinches, but a pair of chaffinches and a few goldfinches.

cazmanian_minx
20-Jul-08, 19:02
So far three pairs of greenfinches and one pair of chaffinches, but I've only been putting food out for 6 weeks, so I'm hopeful of more as word spreads amongst the bird population!

JAWS
20-Jul-08, 20:46
Certainly Greenfinches and Chaffinches and loads of Sparrows along with Pigeons. Don’t mention the Crows and Jackdaws, they are a real pain and when they are around everything else keeps well away.

horseman
20-Jul-08, 22:45
Where I work-enclosed environment-I have been privileged for the last 4 years to watch (until the leaves obscured my view)a crow family
breeding an coming out an flying around an being irresistible.

nellie
21-Jul-08, 06:40
Bekisman after reading how you dealt wioth the crows,I bought new feeders from pet shop,they are like bird cages with the feeders in middle,crows now perched on wires watching but can not get any---still no finchesi

ashaw1
21-Jul-08, 22:31
My son and i were watching a Greenfinch in our garden yesterday.

bekisman
21-Jul-08, 22:48
I think I know why no-one is seeing many greenfinches; the blighters are all over here at Strathy! we've used 20kgs of sunflower seed in two months. (We watch them through the bino's when they leave in the evening and they seem to head for Strathy Forest)...

Aaldtimer
22-Jul-08, 02:32
That's the way to attract them sure enough! Sunflower seeds, they can't get enough of 'em. :D

Loafer
30-Jul-08, 20:36

We have had as many as two dozen greenfinches and a dozen goldfinches at any one time on our feeders!! It is coming to the stage that we are spending more money weekly on bird seed than we are on our own food!!!

The Loafer