PDA

View Full Version : weather

devon lass
10-Dec-05, 23:29
Hi this is my first time,A big hello to everyone.
A question do you think we are going to have a bad winter? Alot of people i have heard has said we are. we moved up here from devon 17 months ago and thought last year was not as bad as we thought it would be.Do you think i should buy a snow shovel and be prepared.

golach
10-Dec-05, 23:46
Devon Lass check this out, buy thermals :lol:

http://www.caithness.org/atoz/snowycaithness/snow3/snow3.htm

dragonfly
10-Dec-05, 23:46
HI Devon Lass, welcome to Caithness!

whereabouts in the county do you live - country or town?? reason for asking is that further inland you are , the heavier the snow is , with Thurso and Wick being beside the sea, the salt air clears the snow quicker - but wouldn't say that we have particularly harsh winters up here, cold and frosty and sometimes wet yes, but not too much snow (but saying that haven't lived anywhere else where I can remember winters)

Worst snows are usually February/March time. Snow shovels are useful for clearing paths etc so would invest in one, Lidls had some a couple of weeks ago for £10

moose and Lindsay
10-Dec-05, 23:50
Hi devon lass

We never had much of a winter here last year, not like we usually do, i mind about 18years ago coz my daughter was in a pram at the time, but the snow was up to knee high, it was a bad winter and people r saying this year is mean't to be a bad one too

So i would buy a snow shovel just incase

Where do u live??

The roads r kept quite clear most of the time, depending how bad it is snowing and if they can keep up

Lindsay

devon lass
10-Dec-05, 23:58
Hi thanks very much . i live at lyth about 5 miles inland from the east coast 10 miles outside of Wick so hopefully it wont get too bad .

porshiepoo
11-Dec-05, 01:17
We did have a white christmas last year though. That was fantastic! Building snowmen and having snowball fights on xmas day, hope we get the chance again this year.

Devon Lass you'll also notice the difference in the upkeep of the roads up here in winter too. England comes to a standstill with just a flurry of snow and Gritters always seem to go out after the event.
Up here though even when we've had thick snow you can usually get yourself out and about, there'll be piles of grit everywhere - something else England doesn'[t understand the concept of.

Enjoy Caithness! It's a fantastic place.

kas
11-Dec-05, 03:30
We did have a white christmas last year though. That was fantastic! Building snowmen and having snowball fights on xmas day, hope we get the chance again this year..

Doesnt look like a white Christmas in the BBCs monthly outlook.
"If anything, the Christmas period may end up more of a washout that a white-out. " is what their website is Saying.
Though I hope they are sooooooo wrong.
Tugmistress is the one to ask on the weather, she is usually on the ball with the weather.

Tugmistress
11-Dec-05, 14:41
At the moment, this is one of the forecast charts for christmas day
anyone who understands isobars can see we will have westerly breezes, the temperatures are not at ground level though, they are roughly 18,000 ft up - rough translation add 10c to whatever the temp is showing, so looking like it could be about 6 ot 8c at the moment - too warm for snow :(
as a thought i will do a page on my site each day showing that days chart for xmas day if you are interested, we need to see the blue stuff coming over us :D

it is a fortnight away, it all can and will probably change.

http://www.tugmistress.co.uk/images//xmasday01.png

neepnipper
11-Dec-05, 17:17
Being nosey, where are you from in Devon?

rainbow
11-Dec-05, 19:56
I laugh when I hear someone else saying the weathermen or women have forecast a bad winter - are these the same forecasters who predicted a heatwave last summer which of course did not materialise?

devon lass
12-Dec-05, 01:02
Hi I am from Plymouth .