PDA

View Full Version : Doll's Houses

Oddquine
19-Jul-08, 22:02
I like to make doll's houses and furniture..............mostly 1/24 scale (easier stored), though I have made 1/16 and 1/12 in my time.

Is there anywhere in Caithness where I can get ply/mdf in sizes less than 8x4 (no transport) and mouldings, wood panels, stripwood, hinges etc.

I can get all of it online................but sending an order to Caithness costs an arm and a leg for ply and MDF.............and I have a free bus pass if there is anything local.

justine
20-Jul-08, 16:34
I think the only place close to you is homebase. Unfortunately not having transport of your own would be a problem. Is there no way you could get someone to run you through when stuff is needed.
Dolls houses are a love of mine and i keep hinting to hubby that i would love one so i could decorate and furnish it. i will probably end up making my own. I too like you do a lot online for equipment, and it is extortionate what they charge for delivery..
I do hope that you get sorted and if there was more i could offer i would..great hobby and i hope you can share some pics maybe of the ones you have built. I have looked at many plans for many designs as i think a little girls room is nothing without one., my girls dont quite agree so mine would be for the big girl in the house..

Good luck..

Oddquine
20-Jul-08, 18:19
I think the only place close to you is homebase. Unfortunately not having transport of your own would be a problem. Is there no way you could get someone to run you through when stuff is needed.
Dolls houses are a love of mine and i keep hinting to hubby that i would love one so i could decorate and furnish it. i will probably end up making my own. I too like you do a lot online for equipment, and it is extortionate what they charge for delivery..
I do hope that you get sorted and if there was more i could offer i would..great hobby and i hope you can share some pics maybe of the ones you have built. I have looked at many plans for many designs as i think a little girls room is nothing without one., my girls dont quite agree so mine would be for the big girl in the house..

Good luck..

Just got a 1/24 Georgian style scratch built here just now.......reduced from a 1/12 plan. Didn't keep too well in a damp caravan.....but does show what can be done by trial and error...even if straight lines aren't your forte! :o.
The rest got given away when I moved up here......no room for them.

Will take photos of the wee one and post in the next few days.

I have plans for a 1/12 Georgian house, a 1/12 Tudor style one( did that for No 1 grand-daughter a few years back with working lights etc), a 1/16 modernish one, 2 x 1/12 Victorian three storey, a 1/12 Shop and flat, a 1/12 cottage which can be finished in various styles..........thinking of doing that as a 1/24 Caithness thatch/turf roofed cottage.........a really fiddly 1/12 modern house with porches etc that I'm keen to try at 1/24, a Zoo and a Farm, and loads of furniture plans....if you (or anybody) fancy trying any of them, just PM me.

Don't suppose anyone fancies setting up a Caithness dolls house/furniture building club so costs of materials/tools could be shared. I've got shed loads of webspace for a dedicated forum etc, and maybe we could arrange self-help workshops?

111heather
20-Jul-08, 21:22
try shearers at the back of the old police station in wick

porshiepoo
21-Jul-08, 18:01
We bought my daughter the 'Pierce' Greenleaf doll house last year and still haven't managed to finish it. We had it shipped from the US and maybe should have downsized a tad seeing as it is our first attempt. lol.
It'll be great when it's done, it's just the getting there!