PDA

View Full Version : Telly v. Computer

percy toboggan
18-Jul-08, 18:03
If you had to do without one....and I'm not suggesting you should...which would have to go?

Sapphire2803
18-Jul-08, 18:05
The telly, in a heartbeat. I never watch it anyway. Same old dross repeated on 40 channels

percy toboggan
18-Jul-08, 18:06
I'm pondering whether to buy a new desk top pc...but Im aware the money could almost buy us an hd mega-telly !
This set me wondering as to which medium is most important in my life....just pondering out loud here.

hotrod4
18-Jul-08, 18:10
As you can watch telly on your PC and you can pick EXACTLY what you want then it has to be keep the pC. Plus you can watch movies,listen to music, read peoples ramblings ;) to name but a few ways to pass the time.

bobandag16
18-Jul-08, 19:58
If you had to do without one....and I'm not suggesting you should...which would have to go?
i have a choice . single bed . and computer. looking for a live in lover. double bed . needed daughter says computer will have to go. computer wins. stay as i am. tv not in the race.

northener
18-Jul-08, 20:02
PC wins hands down.

Shalom
18-Jul-08, 20:13
We got rid of our telly years ago and have never missed it.

The licensing authorities keep writing threatening letters from time to time....they cannot believe anyone could live without a telly!

justine
18-Jul-08, 20:16
would have to be the telly. as we can still watchg films on the pc and you can now get free sat through the pc, so it makes sense to keep the pc, i cant email from my telly.

silverfox57
18-Jul-08, 20:33
PC before TV as oh hogs telly on soaps,and never was one for TV ,BBC on PC and percys soaps.on org is just fine.

TBH
18-Jul-08, 20:34
I seem to recall a court case some years ago where a man was taken to court for having a television without a licence. He had removed certain tuning coils from his tv so that it wouldn't recieve terrestrial television but only the signal from his analogue satellite reciever?
I think he won his case, could be wrong, someone else may know?

router
18-Jul-08, 20:40
got to be telly out, or just a set that shows kids shows as they all can't get round the pc .the others you get on it that are classed as entertainment is a pile of .... and just as much good as.

and ,i can't be right all the time through a telly :lol:

Bobinovich
18-Jul-08, 20:51
No contest :D - PC wins...

Oddquine
18-Jul-08, 21:52
Same here...........have only had a telly for the last couple of years....and not by my choice.

PC every time...........can't research genealogy on a telly!

caroline
18-Jul-08, 22:33
My TV broke down completely 6 weeks ago. Have been looking around for a new one it is just not the price of the telly it is all the add ons like delivery, insurance and installion comes to nearly £1000 for a 37 or 40 in screen. Still to scout the supermarkets for TV. As you can catch up on the computer on the I player the progs you want to watch guess computer wins it for me also. PC great way of keeping in touch with my relatives abroad no e mails on TV as yet anyway.

Bobinovich
18-Jul-08, 22:38
Have you tried Ebuyer for TV's Caroline? Here's (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/144109) a 40" model for £595.35 with free delivery.

wifie
18-Jul-08, 22:58
I am keeping the PC! I have hardly watched any TV over the last few weeks and am completely "soap" free (Corrie was the only one I really watched and it has just become rather pathetic so it had to go). I feel far better for it! Blimey PC is so handy - I could not keep in touch so readily with family up north or abroad (well certainly not on the telly anyway!). :)

percy toboggan
18-Jul-08, 23:11
I am keeping the PC! I have hardly watched any TV over the last few weeks and am completely "soap" free (Corrie was the only one I really watched and it has just become rather pathetic so it had to go). I feel far better for it! Blimey PC is so handy - I could not keep in touch so readily with family up north or abroad (well certainly not on the telly anyway!). :)

I gave up on Corra about seven years ago!
Try the Archers?...brillliant...better pictures.

wifie
18-Jul-08, 23:14
The pics in yer heid are always the best ones Percy!

badger
19-Jul-08, 09:59
Couldn't possibly live without the computer - doesn't bear thinking about.

Angela
19-Jul-08, 10:46
Please, please PLEASE don't separate me from my new MacBook! Life without it would be positively bleak. :(

I have quite an old, smallish TV. Several days can go by without me even switching it on, except perhaps to watch a DVD, and I can do that on the laptop anyway.:)

lassieinfife
19-Jul-08, 11:11
So much rubbish on TV I don't watch soaps or reality shows, have got iplayer,5on demand and chanel 4 player...watch what i want when it suits me so TV is just gathering dust

helenwyler
19-Jul-08, 12:23

I can moan with the best grumpy old git about the decline in quality, and the plethora of repeats on TV. But, I regularly watch Have I got News For You, QI, University Challenge, Mastermind, The Proms... I know when they're on and experience a mild sense of anticipation when the hour approaches :lol:. And there's still a little serendipity to be had...last night I stumbled across Stanley Kubrick's Lolita, which I have managed to miss for 46 years!

During bouts of extreme witlessness I also like to indulge in an old black and white film (can't remember which channel :confused), or a bit of voyeuristic food preparation.

I am aware of BBC iplayer and all that, but I just don't like watching programmes or DVDs on a PC or laptop; I much prefer a modest-sized digital TV which I can watch without it having to be too 'in yer face'....providing I can lay my hands on my glasses.

I couldn't possibly live happily without the PC though, for all the reasons everybody already knows. So it'd be out with the TV for me.

percy toboggan
19-Jul-08, 14:32
I've never seen 'Lolita' H. Was it any good?
I remember my Mum 'harrumphing' when the big posters went up outside our local cinema way back.

honey
19-Jul-08, 14:52
the pc...... wired up to our big flat screen tv!!! it workls a treat!!:lol:

quirbal
19-Jul-08, 14:57
PC definately....can't play WOW on the TV!

Julia
19-Jul-08, 22:37
I'd get rid of the pc as I can do everything on the tv via the PS3 ;)

helenwyler
19-Jul-08, 23:10
I've never seen 'Lolita' H. Was it any good?
I remember my Mum 'harrumphing' when the big posters went up outside our local cinema way back.

You're not trying to tempt me off topic, are you percy?

Certain .orgers would rap one severely on the knuckles for that, even though it's your own thread. :D

northener
19-Jul-08, 23:34
I'd get rid of the pc as I can do everything on the tv via the PS3 ;)

Wot, even excel spreadsheets?

BazzaG
24-Jul-08, 16:25
Pc wins by a mile for

Julia
24-Jul-08, 17:26
Wot, even excel spreadsheets?

Um, well except that LOL I was meaning internet-wise;)

padfoot
25-Jul-08, 11:34
Pc, no contest, Tv can b seen on internet.

Tv is mostly rubbish and Pc has so many more uses, office apps, surfing, communication and so on and so forth.

Jalna
25-Jul-08, 22:34
PC wins for me.
I can contact friends all over the world , listen to music. watch videos, paint and draw pictures, watch the news, :cool: play online or PC games, write letters, keep accounts and records of collections, store my photographs.... I can even talk to people and see them while I talk, if I choose to.
Umm what can the TV do to compete with all that. :Razz

:roll: Err after saying all that, I do like having the TV on in the background, so I confess..... I would miss it.

cullpacket
27-Jul-08, 02:54
Got rid on ma telly 6 months ago Daughter not happy!!!
never watched it much in the last 2 years to negitive for me
news etc and the adverts did ma heed in
got ma music from the freeview to the hi-fi usually Mojo radio
go to mates house to see the motorbikes,
don't miss it.

joxville
30-Jul-08, 23:00
Cost of TV-£400
Cost of TV licence-£140
Cost of PC-£1500
Chat on the .org-Priceless

joxville
30-Jul-08, 23:09

Also, how empty your life was until you made my aquaintance through the .org [lol]

wifie
30-Jul-08, 23:20
Also, how empty your life was until you made my aquaintance through the .org [lol]

Indeed Jox - I was a poor lonely soul! Aye right! [lol]

Whitewater
30-Jul-08, 23:36
I won't be throwing either out, I like them both. My problem has always been finding the time to enjoy them.

Tilter
01-Aug-08, 00:06
No prizes for guessing the way the vote is going among Orgers.

Telly out for me too. Although if you got rid of your pc, you wouldn't have to convince any licensing people you didn't have one. I had no telly for a couple of years and had plenty trouble proving I didn't have one. Guilty till you prove yourself innocent.