PDA

View Full Version : Chavs have feelings...

MadPict
16-Jul-08, 22:25
... or so the left wing "Thought Police" Think Tank, The Fabian Society, claim.

Mustn't use the term "chav" in case you hurt their feelings...

The Fabian Society's Tom Hampson says the term betrays a deep level of "class hatred" and is "deeply offensive to a largely voiceless group".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7509968.stm

Kevin Milkins
16-Jul-08, 22:31
Am I bovered?

teenybash
16-Jul-08, 23:56
What's a chav then???????????????????:confused

sweetpea
17-Jul-08, 00:31

person of low social status, often wearing designer sportswear.:lol:

Bloo
17-Jul-08, 00:35
A chav, is an idiotic, smoking, drug-taking, knife wielding loonie :lol:

In all seriousness, just a dummy who joins a crowd because all of their braincells died when they were dropped on their head as a child:lol:

Phoebus_Apollo
17-Jul-08, 10:32
The lesser-spoted-Chav can be seen in Thurso between the hours of 14:00 - 17:00 and 19:00 til their tags are activated sitting opposite the Cafe Cardosi on the Green seat...quite a sight for all chav enthusiasts.

(NB Signs of chavery - burberry baseball cap,socks rolled up over tracky trousers and gold D & G chain and accessories)

Blondie
17-Jul-08, 10:43
The lesser-spoted-Chav can be seen in Thurso between the hours of 14:00 - 17:00 and 19:00 til their tags are activated sitting opposite the Cafe Cardosi on the Green seat...quite a sight for all chav enthusiasts.

(NB Signs of chavery - burberry baseball cap,socks rolled up over tracky trousers and gold D & G chain and accessories)

I feel I must point out............ its fake Burberry!

katarina
17-Jul-08, 11:17

Chav
If you can keep your mobile when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you:
If you can trust yourself when the social doubts you,
And claim allowance for extra nippers too;
If you can see your dad and brother queuing,
Lying about his claim, and part time job,
Or driving your Nova that you sniff glue in,
Rev your engine, like a proper nob:

If you prefer to smoke a Lambert and Butler,
Or if you think that Kipling is a cake;
If you’ve tried it on with half the county,
Croyden facelift, orange tan all fake;
Cos they like fighting with the bottle broken,
Pushing a pram and selling pills at school;
And all the cars you and your mates have stolen,
And changed the look around with knocked-off tools:

If you can empty a purse of family credit,
And risk it on some scratch cards whilst you doss,
And lose, and cos you are a scumbag;
Never tell your bird about her loss;
If you can force your bleedin’ social worker
To let you keep your seven kids at home,
And wear gold chains or 9 carat jewelled clown choker,
Down the local cos you’re barred from town.

If you can drink ten cans and keep your balance,
Or walk with Staffies trying to look butch;
If Burberry clothes or trackie bottoms suit you,
Bought off a mate who didn’t charge too much;
If you can fill your bag at Aldi innit,
With sixty quid of groceries and then run,
Yours is JD Sports and all that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Chav, my son!

apologies to all chavs - it's no my words!

Phoebus_Apollo
17-Jul-08, 11:49
apologies to all chavs - it's no my words!

Don`t fret - they won`t be able to read it anyhow.

bothyman
17-Jul-08, 12:26

That is the question , what was the original meaning of the word Chav ? ?
Just been discussing this, can anyone remember when being Happy and Gay meant you were just in a good mood.
how many other words have had their meanings changed and not always for the better.
Oh dear, I must be getting old.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chav

teenybash
17-Jul-08, 14:35
Boobs used to mean making a mistake.....now are a term for part of the female anatomy.
Anyone know of anymore words where meanings have changed............

fingalmacool
17-Jul-08, 15:04
I prefer to call them YADS,,,,,,,YOUNG ADOLESCENT DELINQUENT SPONGER.

And so another term is coined.:confused

mrs_algaliarept
17-Jul-08, 15:08

I'm sorry to say that I cant believe you have said somthing like this, for one I live in thurso and I walk past that bench nearly every day most of the people that sit on those benches are like 14/15 years old and its disgraceful that you are sayin this about them and so is the fact that you are saying that they sit there till there tags activate, do you happen to know any of these people to be making that accusation against them ?????????? and I used to sit on those benches when I was that age because it was cool to sit there not because I am a chav and I certainly never sat there till my tag was activated since I have never had a tag I have never wielded a knife, I have never owned anything burberry, I have never wore any thing with d and g on it, never wore any designer sports wear or anything else people have said on this thread about what a chav is and I would still sit on that green bench and I wonder if the person saying that they are stupid and have been dropped on their heads when little actually knows any of these kids ??????? And yes I do think that calling someone a chav is insulting and would be upsetting if the descriptions on here are what people think a chav is , I personally dont know any from up here let alone lots that sit on that green bench and I can read and I would feel sorry for someone who couldn't not ridicule them

Melancholy Man
17-Jul-08, 15:15
Cor, we can go all Derrida on the Org? How?

Chav derives from a Romani word for youngster or child (just as gadje comes from the one for non-Romani, and chore for theft), and was popularized by the television version of Little Britain (just as ned came in after a series of Chewin' the Fat, although William McIllvaney had previously used it).

As a local dialect word, both of these are useful, but these proggies both tapped into a sense of bullying, me thinks, of the powerless. I don't mean the the pillocks milling about in Thurso or Wick or wherever, but margionalized urban poor. Often white, how many would call a Caribbean hard-man a "chav"?

Valerie Campbell
17-Jul-08, 15:40
Cor, we can go all Derrida on the Org? How?

Chav derives from a Romani word for youngster or child (just as gadje comes from the one for non-Romani, and chore for theft), and was popularized by the television version of Little Britain (just as ned came in after a series of Chewin' the Fat, although William McIllvaney had previously used it).

As a local dialect word, both of these are useful, but these proggies both tapped into a sense of bullying, me thinks, of the powerless. I don't mean the the pillocks milling about in Thurso or Wick or wherever, but margionalized urban poor. Often white, how many would call a Caribbean hard-man a "chav"?

You have a point here. You don't see very many darker skinned people assuming the role of a 'chav.' Wonder why not?

Phoebus_Apollo
17-Jul-08, 16:29
I'm sorry to say that I cant believe you have said somthing like this, for one I live in thurso and I walk past that bench nearly every day most of the people that sit on those benches are like 14/15 years old and its disgraceful that you are sayin this about them and so is the fact that you are saying that they sit there till there tags activate, do you happen to know any of these people to be making that accusation against them ??????????

You don`t have to know them - just one look tells you exactly what they are.

and I used to sit on those benches when I was that age because it was cool to sit there not because I am a chav and I certainly never sat there till my tag was activated since I have never had a tag I have never wielded a knife,

Never heard of Irony??

And yes I do think that calling someone a chav is insulting and would be upsetting if the descriptions on here are what people think a chav is , I personally dont know any from up here let alone lots that sit on that green bench and I can read and I would feel sorry for someone who couldn't not ridicule them

"couldn`t not" - double negative - you fail.;)

mrs_algaliarept
17-Jul-08, 16:36
Oh I am sorry I obviously must be a chav after all thanx for pointing that out to me.

In my opinion you can't judge a book by its cover but thats just my opinion after all and im just a chav apparently.

And I would rather be a chav than have some of the views that I have seen on here.

percy toboggan
17-Jul-08, 17:00
Only problem so far as I can see is that chavs are somehow referred to as 'working class whites' As these, especially the male variety are now the most persecuted and unprotected minority (should that be majority?) in this country of ours it must hurt when they are lumped in with 'chavs'.

Of course, dismissing a whole sub-group as 'chavs' give most of the rest of us somebody to look down upon...in our imagined superiority. After all, we can't do that with post wrld war two immigrants any more because we are accused of being 'racist' so the sneering name calling and general contempt has shifted to a group who are probably worthy of it.

The 'chav' sub group within the working class white community has been allowed to mushroom due to an inferior education system, and general ill self - discipline generated first in the home and then in our schools.

Only bleeding heart liberals will beat themselves up over the widespread use of the term, which I understand originated in Eastern Europe. Given recent trends I'm not surprised it's surfaced here.

The ranks of chavs is to where Britain might one day look for its salvation - traditionally poorly educated lads who like a scrap. They might even fall for the 'your country needs you' slogan once more, but I wouldn't bet upon it.

I do find chavs rather horrible. The clothes they choose to wear, and the awful bling the female variety sport. Huge dollops of cheap ear-rings and the like. The chew gum and often smoke at the same time whilst looking particularly gormless. My mother would have called them 'common'...how anachronistic that word sounds now, eh?

Quite disgusting creatures. They bear children too...often at a very young age...God help them, and God help the rest of us. Many of them are blissfully ignorant of the wider world around them and care little beyond the next episode of their favourite soap opera on the telly. A generally gruesome bunch....thankfully a minority...but should they be persecuted?

rob murray
17-Jul-08, 17:09
Oh I am sorry I obviously must be a chav after all thanx for pointing that out to me.

In my opinion you can't judge a book by its cover but thats just my opinion after all and im just a chav apparently.

And I would rather be a chav than have some of the views that I have seen on here.

Me too, looking back at my young days then yes I was ( and perhaps still am ) a chav...say it loud and proud !!! Proud to be a chav

Melancholy Man
17-Jul-08, 17:49
Shall we replace "chav" with "tink" and watch as the world turns to glass? In addition to Derrida, this thread's becoming lost up Baudrillard's hyperreality. Let me repeat, chav was originally a dialect word which, after Little Britain passed from delicious farce on Radio 4 to vindictive attacks on urban poor by the second series on the telly, was adopted by all and reactionary sundry.

Threads like this tend to end up looking like Lord Kitchener emerging from the Pentland Firth and starting to rant about the the 'lower-classes', because that's what chavs are. They don't exist in the real world, but form set-pieces for some narrative for peeps who wish the 60s had never happened. Look at this venemous piece from John Littledick (http://lefthandpalm.blogspot.com/2007/03/richard-littlejohn-fat-wrong-racist.html") in which he laid into the "Vicki Pollards".

You have a point here. You don't see very many darker skinned people assuming the role of a 'chav.' Wonder why not?

My only gripe with this is for "assuming" implies the whiteys have a choice in the matter, and are not just being lumped together with the disgusting characters we *do* see on street corners. But, yes, I doubt anyone consider calling an SE Asian or Jamaican or West African street loiterer behaving as whatever they believe a "chav" to be.

Straight off, simply because it's a term for whiteys, or people thought to be white. In the heaving metropoliseseseses there are those who'd sooner drink battery acid than make disparaging remarks about other ethnic groups (although, for obvious reasons, this is weakening with Muslims and/or SE Asians), but cheerfully mock poor 'whites'. Recall the disgraceful and/or wrongheaded attacks on Jade Goody (how I laugh whenever someone mocks her facial features, and I observe that they're the result of her mixed-race!).

northener
17-Jul-08, 18:08
Groups and cultures will always attract names, some sneeringly and some with a certain amount of vicious humour.

As someone wisely pointed out on the beeb this morning, if we are going to get a PC and sniffy about calling a certain sub-class/group of people 'chavs' then it logically follows that we should not have been calling the wealthy and priveliged 'Toffs' for all these years....

The people who are getting all upset about the term 'Chav' are probably the same people who would get all stroppy and use the word 'Toff' when confronted with a Range Rover full of noisy horsey types.

We have always ridiculed various groups in Britain, it's that rather cruel streak of humour that we revel in that makes shows like Little Britain such a success.

Get over it you muppets.

N.
(White Settler/ Sassenach/ Whippet owning Yorkshire Pud and i don't give a monkeys what anyone calls me - life's too short...)[lol]

Melancholy Man
17-Jul-08, 18:19
Northerner, do you dress your whippets in tweed coats?

As someone wisely pointed out on the beeb this morning, if we are going to get a PC and sniffy about calling a certain sub-class/group of people 'chavs' then it logically follows that we should not have been calling the wealthy and priveliged 'Toffs' for all these years....

D'you remember who it was? I have a horrible feeling it was someone like Claire Fox. Verbal joisting is one thing, but I doubt many of the chavophiles were portraying the horsey-types as dregs of humanity. Plus, the horsey-types will have wealth and authority behind them, so can endure a little bit of animus. 'Chavs' don't, and are kicked when they're down.

MadPict
17-Jul-08, 18:39
A morning walking around Bluewater (http://www.bluewater.co.uk/) (don't panic - it's not a slightly less ominous version of Blackwater (http://www.blackwaterusa.com/)...) usually lets you realise the lesser burberried chav is still breeding. The plummage is usually quite splendid and obvious and the chavesque mating call can be easily identified and therefore the observer can easily duck for cover - avoid Starbucks as they usually congregate around this watering hole for their lattecinos and panini...

Ash
17-Jul-08, 18:41

very very true, hate walking past them with my wee one as they spit all over the place, swear and drop cigarette ends everywhere, it irrates me madly! especially the mp3 phones so everyone can hear there music- WEAR EARPHONES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![evil]

Melancholy Man
17-Jul-08, 18:47
A morning walking around Bluewater (http://www.bluewater.co.uk/) (don't panic - it's not a slightly less ominous version of Blackwater (http://www.blackwaterusa.com/)...)

I'm sure there's a link here, but I can't quite see it. I would never get into Bluewater, because I'm a hoodie (Jewish joke).

avoid Starbucks as they usually congregate around this watering hole for their lattecinos and panini...

Right, I'm lost... chavs go to Starbucks?

MadPict
17-Jul-08, 19:52
They do in Bluewater...

Tip: If a word appears underlined try clicking on it - it may be a hypertext (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertext)link...

northener
17-Jul-08, 20:15

D'you remember who it was? I have a horrible feeling it was someone like Claire Fox. Verbal joisting is one thing, but I doubt many of the chavophiles were portraying the horsey-types as dregs of humanity. Plus, the horsey-types will have wealth and authority behind them, so can endure a little bit of animus. 'Chavs' don't, and are kicked when they're down.

Kicking 'Chavs' when they're down? The implication there is that the poor 'Chavs' are somehow 'down' and need to be brought up to some sort of standard.
Isn't that a rather patronising comment?

Surely, you are implying that those who are referred to as 'Chavs' have no capacity for individual thought or any control whatsoever over their own destiny. Are they all incapable of thinking for themselves and do they have to rely on patronising do-gooders to think and speak for them? I think not.

Also I cannot see why having money and perceived authority should make a certain social group 'fair game' - so to speak. You cannot stand up as a defender for one group and then say "Oh well, they can fend for themselves" - based on income and background. Double standards.

To summarise, it's a lot of cobblers spouted by people with too much time on their hands who feel they must champion some 'poor unfortunates'(hah!).
It's almost akin to the Victorian ideals regarding 'educating' the poor ignorant savages (for they know not what they do...).
There's more than a few deserving causes in Britain that they should be channelling their energies into instead of this witless drivel.

If the finger wagging brigade had it their way, we wouldn't even be able to call someone 'Jock' or 'Taffy' for fear of causing some offence.:roll: Tell 'em all to go and stick their heads up their own backsides..they're half way there already.

Rank hypocracy being practiced by meddling ignorant do-gooders. Stuff 'em.

mrs_algaliarept
17-Jul-08, 20:35
I dont personally care what people think of me which is the attitude I think all people should take I like being who I am and I dont care one bit about what people think about that but I do not like people who think they are better than others. I just hate it when rich people think they are better than normal everyday people just because they have money lol.

Sorry just had to get that in there dont know if it makes sense to others but it does to me lol.

northener
17-Jul-08, 21:23
I dont personally care what people think of me which is the attitude I think all people should take I like being who I am and I dont care one bit about what people think about that but I do not like people who think they are better than others. I just hate it when rich people think they are better than normal everyday people just because they have money lol.

Sorry just had to get that in there dont know if it makes sense to others but it does to me lol.

It certainly makes sense Mrs A, but I know plenty of folk who have 'money' and don't see themselves as better than anyone.

And I know plenty of folk with the arses hanging out of their trousers who honestly believe they are 'better' than everyone else.
So money doesn't really come into it, there are small-minded and ignorant people right across the social spectrum.

northener
17-Jul-08, 21:24

Only the best Harris tweed;)

Melancholy Man
17-Jul-08, 22:28
I bet you give them summer and winter jackets as well.

I don't want to get into a slanging match, but this is getting surreal. Chavs do not exist as an identified social group. Five years ago, 95% of those railing against them hadn't heard the word, but now use it as a nebulous term to describe anything that's common or uncouth. The popular usage all comes from a television programme. One might as well base opinions of contemporary Scottish life by watching River City.

I can think of named individuals in front of Cardosi's or elsewhere in Caithness or could be described as wasters or lumpen proletariat, but when I talk of "kicking 'chavs' [note the punctuation] when they're down", of course I ain't talking about them. I'm talking about those who the bystanders caught up by this unverifiable term. The unskilled, the low-paid, the undefined oiks and Baldricks of the urban mass. And, yes, the Jade Goodys.

Nor is "horsey-types" an identified group, but to come close to the venom which the popular media have directed against "chavs" one would have to look at Nye Bevan's 'Tories are lower than vermin' speech. If I had any one of a country estate, a villa in Tuscany, a job in the City or holidays in the Caribbean, throw-away remarks from people who didn't would matter less (whatever I think of Richard Littlejohn, at least he's a self-made man). I'd have an authority which kept, say, my blood sports going into the 21st Century whilst the working man's were done away with in 1835.

Disclaimer: yes, I laughed at the neds in Chewin' the Fat, but these were on the backdrop of the sympathetic image of Craigland and the twilight of Jack and Victor.

jings00
17-Jul-08, 22:41
well, when i was at e school, a few years ago now... we used the word chav, but it was meant as a "wow", or "goodness" type of thing.
e.g. did ye hear Angus wis blootered the other night, fell in the harbour?
chav, he okay??
and i think some used to say things like "chavviedeek", or somethin lek 'at.

angela5
17-Jul-08, 22:52
and i think some used to say things like "chavviedeek", or somethin lek 'at.

A friend of mine was great for saying ''chavviedeek'' or ''chavviebrie look at that'':D

TBH
18-Jul-08, 00:30
Take the Chav Test and see if you are actually a chav although you didn't realise it or are in denial.[lol]

Chav-test (http://chavstest.com/quiz/index.php)

router
18-Jul-08, 01:03
surely you would have to be a chav and recognise youself as a chav to feel insulted by being called a chav and as melancholy man pointed out they don't exist as a social group then what's the fabian societys' problem? does this mean too we can't use words like ,neds,widoes etc
and,i am assuming that the fabian societys people have never put down anyone themselves using any slang words for a non existant social group or any minority of people

i've been called a dour scots so an so
i dont mind
i am :lol:

just out of curiosity does anyone know where term "jock" comes from?

Sapphire2803
18-Jul-08, 01:35
It's slang for John, Jack etc. To mean a normal man.

It becomes Jock with a scottish accent.

northener
18-Jul-08, 08:19
Continuing the surrealism, I agree that the terms 'Chav' and the 'Horsey Type' aren't going to appear in any government classification of social groups.

Which really was the point to be proved.

They are slang terms used by the media (and, therefore, the people), they have no real standing or clearly defined appliance so do not merit this ridiculous attention by meddling busybodies. In an earlier post on this thread I used the term 'Muppets', I'm sure we've all got an idea of what I meant by that, yet it is not a clearly defined social group.......

Anyway I have to wax my whippets and then slip them against a couple of 6 year old chavs...sorry, poor ignorant whites off the nearby Cooncil Sinkhole....sorry, estate. Can't have that sort of people wandering abround the grounds.

N.

PS: Why do chavs always try to talk like American urban black people?

PPS: I dont actually own any Whippets, so no Chavs were actually mauled by hunting dogs in the production of this post.

I shot the Chavs instead.

northener
18-Jul-08, 08:24
Take the Chav Test and see if you are actually a chav although you didn't realise it or are in denial.[lol]

Good God, I'm 22% Chav.

rob murray
18-Jul-08, 10:29
Shall we replace "chav" with "tink" and watch as the world turns to glass?

What do you mean by the above ?

mccaugm
18-Jul-08, 10:37
Good God, I'm 22% Chav.

What are you worried about I scored 30%...shoot me now!!...:confused

Melancholy Man
18-Jul-08, 13:36
No whippets, Northerner? Fake plastic Yorkshireman!

What do you mean by the above ?

Not from this thread, but the way in which chav came into popular usage and sentiments behind it from the likes of Richard Littlejohn reminded strongly of the animus towards to t-word, which surprised me when I first came to Caithness.

I doubt very much the Fabian Society is thinking of the oafs hanging around on street corner. Instead it's referring to those parts of the unskilled, margionalized population who're the victims of RL's ire.

rob murray
18-Jul-08, 13:40
[quote=Melancholy Man;408388]No whippets, Northerner? Fake plastic Yorkshireman!

Not from this thread, but the way in which chav came into popular usage and sentiments behind it from the likes of Richard Littlejohn reminded strongly of the animus towards to t-word, which surprised me when I first came to Caithness.

Thanks and well observed, very, very true

sweetpea
18-Jul-08, 13:45

Hahahahaha Lovin it, I'm 52% chav. Chavtastic[lol]

hotrod4
18-Jul-08, 15:22
Ah burberry caps, white adidas bottoms,(must be on the ground), nicked after shave from boots(and thats just the women!) and fingers full of sovvies, man I wish i could afford to be a chav!!! ;)

upolian
18-Jul-08, 15:23
i wear trackies and a hoody sometimes when im not working or just wanting to chill out,does that make me a chav?

hotrod4
18-Jul-08, 15:28
i wear trackies and a hoody sometimes when im not working or just wanting to chill out,does that make me a chav?

No as I do the same too! but I take the trackie off if we get vistors as most men my age wear the old "bally" 2 stripe variant of the adidas family!!! which isnt very appealing on the eye ;)