PDA

View Full Version : Thurso Airfield in the 1930s

Rheghead
16-Jul-08, 01:13
I read today that the waiting room for the original airfield was part of Robertson's garage which was near to the Station Hotel. In that case, where was the airfield?:confused All I know is that the planes only required a 200 yd runway so can't be that big.

Later on, Dixonfield was earmarked as the site for an airfield as operations got bigger, but Thurso Town Council refused to cooperate with the preparations for the site and Highland Airways pulled the plug as they couldn't operate from the smaller field, that is how Wick became the main airport for Caithness despite the increased bad weather seen over there and this led to more cancelled flights.

Cattach
16-Jul-08, 20:46
I read today that the waiting room for the original airfield was part of Robertson's garage which was near to the Station Hotel. In that case, where was the airfield?:confused All I know is that the planes only required a 200 yd runway so can't be that big.

Later on, Dixonfield was earmarked as the site for an airfield as operations got bigger, but Thurso Town Council refused to cooperate with the preparations for the site and Highland Airways pulled the plug as they couldn't operate from the smaller field, that is how Wick became the main airport for Caithness despite the increased bad weather seen over there and this led to more cancelled flights.

I was under the impression the planes landed at Clairdon.

webmannie
17-Jul-08, 07:13
Janet Street?

Valerie Campbell
17-Jul-08, 15:37
I had a look at an aerial photo taken in the early 50s but to no avail. Sorry. Hope you find out though.

jacktar
17-Jul-08, 21:34
Thurso airport,as far as i know,was at Clairdon,and was used by the legendary pilot Capt Ernest Edmond Fresson OBE, who started the first ever royal mail flight.Flying from Inverness to the north,Kirkwall,Wick,Shetland,in fact Inverness to Kirkwall is the longest running commerical route in the world.He was also known on ocassion,whilst waiting for return mail,to take passengers and fly them from Thurso to Melvich,Bettyhill and on at least 2 ocassions to Stroma.

Scunner
17-Jul-08, 22:36
I am told that Gander Dower, was involved somewhere in the operation of flights.

Rheghead
18-Jul-08, 00:29
I'm reading Fresson's book atm, that is where I get the info that the waiting room for the airfield was near to the Station Hotel in Robertson's garage. However, this may be only due to the proximity to the railway. Strangely he doesn't say where the airfield was. Gandar Dower was his rival.

His book shows an aerial photo of Stroma and the airfield is marked on the photo.

Apparently James Wilson, the proprietor of the Royal Hotel (the one who extended the hotel to accomodate over 100 guests) was the chief instigator to get the Thurso airfield operational.

Rheghead
19-Jul-08, 03:35
If anyone is interested in Capt Fresson and his pioneering, aviation exploits in the far north of Scotland then check out the Fresson trust where they are selling his book. Lots of local info from between the war years.

http://www.fressontrust.org.uk