PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP SP3

badger
15-Jul-08, 21:25
The dreaded SP3 is finally in automatic updates but having read about it (and its even worse relation Vista SP1) I made sure my updates ask me now before installing so am hoping it will respect that.

What do you advise? Is it now safe or is there about to be mass mayhem as one website warns? I see one has provided a link for uninstalling if there are problems but have a nasty feeling it may then be too late.

blueivy
16-Jul-08, 00:06
The dreaded SP3 is finally in automatic updates but having read about it (and its even worse relation Vista SP1) I made sure my updates ask me now before installing so am hoping it will respect that.

What do you advise? Is it now safe or is there about to be mass mayhem as one website warns? I see one has provided a link for uninstalling if there are problems but have a nasty feeling it may then be too late.

I won't be installing SP3 any time soon. I waited around 5-6 months before installing SP2 so will likely do the same with SP3 (when all of the mayhem has subsided and we can get a balanced picture of what the real problems are).

My one annoyance with SP3 is that when installed, IE7 can't be uninstalled. While I have IE7 installed here anyway, I just don't like being forced to keep a piece of software for no good reason.

badger
16-Jul-08, 19:45
Thanks Paul - sounds like good advice.

bekisman
16-Jul-08, 19:50
I've done my SP3 - no problems, I'm still on IE 6

blueivy
16-Jul-08, 22:28
I've done my SP3 - no problems, I'm still on IE 6

The lock in only happens when you already have IE7 (which I do). If you are on IE6 and then upgrade to SP3 IE is not upgraded so the lock in doesn't occur.

I should have been more clear.

bekisman
17-Jul-08, 08:55
From earlier; I know I was locked out I later downloaded Zonealarm full, and the instalation of KB95.. cased no problems - sorry if I'm talking rubbish, it's my age!

Anyone else get caught out with the latest Microsoft updates today? the KB951748 caused my Zonealam to stop connection to the web - All I did was restore to yesterday and when the updates were ready for download/install simply unclicked the KB951748 download - seems Zonealarm are in urgent talks with MS to get it sorted. Plenty of chatter on the web about it and ideas how to sort:

Windows update KB951748 should not be installed. It will 'break' your Internet connection. If you have it already installed, uninstalling it fixes the problem. How to fix it? Go to Start> Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs. Make sure to put the tick mark in the "Show updates" box in the upper right-hand corner of the screen. Scroll down to the Windows Updates and look for (KB951748), highlight it and press remove. You will need to immediately do a reboot and when your machine has restarted your Internet connection will function again!

badger
19-Jul-08, 09:24
I have my automatic updates set to check with me first but once something becomes available, like SP3, it won't take the hint. Every day or so I get the reminder that it's available and selecting Cancel only makes it go away until next time. The little icon in the corner stays there trying to make me feel guilty and it is scary how every option is to encourage you to have updates download automatically.

Is it going to keep reminding me until I finally give in or is there some way of stopping it?

blueivy
19-Jul-08, 14:49
I have my automatic updates set to check with me first but once something becomes available, like SP3, it won't take the hint. Every day or so I get the reminder that it's available and selecting Cancel only makes it go away until next time. The little icon in the corner stays there trying to make me feel guilty and it is scary how every option is to encourage you to have updates download automatically.

Is it going to keep reminding me until I finally give in or is there some way of stopping it?

The only way you can stop SP3 from notifying you on an installation that updates directly from the Microsoft Update servers is to turn off updates completely.

Because it is the latest rollup of all previous patches it may also stop you downloading any other newer patches until it's installed. I say may because I haven't verified it. However knowing how the Windows Update works I think this will be what will happen for non-critical patches if you use Microsoft Update (which the majority of home and small business users are).

There are other options but they are more techical and a bit too in-depth for here.

badger
19-Jul-08, 19:34
Thanks again Paul. Will just have to keep an eye on the forums I suppose until it's considered safe to download.

matelot79
21-Jul-08, 17:06

Click on the little icon as if you were going to install it, then choose custom install and next. Then uncheck the SP3 box and up will pop another box that you can put a tick in, which says something along the lines of don't ever offer me this update again.

blueivy
21-Jul-08, 17:14
Click on the little icon as if you were going to install it, then choose custom install and next. Then uncheck the SP3 box and up will pop another box that you can put a tick in, which says something along the lines of don't ever offer me this update again.

I've never yet been able to get that option to work (used several times on servers and just gave up with it). That's why i didn't suggest it, but maybe it's just me :(

If it works for badger then great. Bear in mind that to then get SP3 you'll need to get it directly (from Windows Update or CD etc.) as it won't be offered through the Automatic Updates again.

Please let me know if this works or not and I may give this option a go again in the future.

matelot79
22-Jul-08, 18:28
[quote=blueivy;409672]
If it works for badger then great. Bear in mind that to then get SP3 you'll need to get it directly (from Windows Update or CD etc.) as it won't be offered through the Automatic Updates again.[quote]

To get it back in automatic updates, go to control panel then automatic updates and there is a link you can click on that says "offer updates again that I've previously hidden".
Both options have worked fine for me.

badger
25-Jul-08, 15:37
Only just seen this so thought I'd try it. Unfortunately it went straight into download without giving me any options. Hope I've stopped it but don't know.