PDA

View Full Version : Start programms

Tugmistress
15-Jul-08, 17:20
Can someone tell me where i find a list of programms that will automatically start up when i start the computer please? I have a load of stuff starting i don't really need at the beginning.

Also how the flipping hek do i get rid of that flaming yahoo tool bar thingy! i use firefox and neep decided to download a yahoo tool bar thing onto it :(

Moonboots
15-Jul-08, 17:25
Goto Start then Run,
Type in msconfig then enter
Click on the Startup tab.

That is everything that boots up on startup.

Bobinovich
15-Jul-08, 19:37
The Yahoo toolbar is easiest uninstalled if it's not used - Start > Control Panel > Add & Remove Programs. I hate most of these toolbars and frequently uninstall them if a customer doesn't use them.

MSConfig can be used to disable startup items so you can then restart your computer and see which ones you do and don't need running all the time - this is called Selective Startup mode. However, if you decide to return the PC to Normal Startup mode after doing so, it will automatically reinstate all the startup programs which you have so carefully disabled!

There are numerous free utilities to remove these startup items completely, but many programs running in the background will have their own setting which will usually include a 'Start When Windows Starts Up' option. Try right-clicking on these icons in turn and looking through the settings for such an option and just disable it there.

If you have trouble with any in particular then list it/them and we'll see what can be done.

Tugmistress
15-Jul-08, 20:24
Thanks guys, i'll see if i can break my comp now lol