PDA

View Full Version : The Gift-A wick movie

hotrod4
15-Jul-08, 11:08
Dont know if anyone will remember the play shown on BBC a good few years ago starring 2 wick lads about football. The 2 wick lads were David Campbell and Duncan Macdonald. Have tried googling for the play but have been unable to find it. Anyone else out there remember it? or know where I can get a copy, the lads were a year younger than me so would probably have been 82/83.

superted
15-Jul-08, 11:19
I remember it well, they played some of the games up at the trinkie...tried looking for it myself and asked the bbc for it, but never had any luck. Thought it was a great film when I was younger!!!

Blondie
15-Jul-08, 11:21
David is on the latest reunion thread. Why not try contacting him?

Murdina Bug
15-Jul-08, 11:33
I had a copy on video (but I don't have a video player any more!) - I know I cleared out the videos some time back and had some transferred to DVD but I can't for the life of me remember what I did with that one! I will have a look when I get home and if I still have it will let you know.

I was pals with David's sister so that was why I kept it, in case you are wondering!

skinnydog
15-Jul-08, 12:59
What a block buster that was.
I will be having a look in the loft tonight as I think I kept a copy on video so that I could remind David of the good old days in Wick,
(any one got a working beetamax?)
As for the reunion on the 25th does the Francis St club have a big screen that we could all watch it on?

veritas
15-Jul-08, 13:33
Hi I have converted this video on to DVD along with another programe arround the same time called Wick "No mean Town" a celebration of its quatercenterary. I also converted a copy of Songs of Praise from Wick arround the same time. happy to copy this to anyone who wants a copy.

poppett
15-Jul-08, 14:26
that sounds like a great compilation to view. I for one would be interested in the dvd.

girnigoe
15-Jul-08, 14:32
Me also :)

scorrie
15-Jul-08, 15:20
the lads were a year younger than me so would probably have been 82/83

Was it about a Pensioner's football team then? ;)

I remember the play quite well. It must have been around 1989 that it was broadcast. I rated it as "Fair" at the time, but would watch it again for the sheer nostalgia factor.

TBH
15-Jul-08, 15:26
Was it about a Pensioner's football team then? ;)

I remember the play quite well. It must have been around 1989 that it was broadcast. I rated it as "Fair" at the time, but would watch it again for the sheer nostalgia factor.The play wasn't very good but then again these guys were not professional actors so I guess being upstaged by a goalpost is perfectably understandable.

Bobinovich
15-Jul-08, 15:30
Hi I have converted this video on to DVD along with another programe arround the same time called Wick "No mean Town" a celebration of its quatercenterary. I also converted a copy of Songs of Praise from Wick arround the same time. happy to copy this to anyone who wants a copy.

Would it convert/break down into suitable chunks for You Tube?

lynne duncan
15-Jul-08, 21:40
mmmmmmmm! sure we could arrange to see it in the francis st club on a certain night!!

actros
15-Jul-08, 23:06
I remember the film well and thought I was actually goin mad cause no1 else seems to mind it:lol:
I mind the house that it began in, in Papigoe and know the family well.
I would luv a copy of this if u could spare 1.;)

Neil Howie
15-Jul-08, 23:53
For some reason a shot of a bus going up scalesburn seems to stick in the memory?

veritas
16-Jul-08, 08:15
For some reason a shot of a bus going up scalesburn seems to stick in the memory?

Yes it is a double decker coming up Scalesburn with a rough bay in the background the destination name on the top of the bus is for Staxigoe

balto
16-Jul-08, 09:44
my god i mind seeing this film on tv years ago, what a blst from the past.

Douglas Cowie
16-Jul-08, 21:24
Yes it is a double decker coming up Scalesburn with a rough bay in the background the destination name on the top of the bus is for Staxigoe

The driver of the bus was my father George Cowie, he was on call for the film crew to ferry the cast, etc around to the locations and they used himself and the bus for that shot. He was fair chuffed with himself and had aspirations of Hollywood and a bit of stunt driving.
Mind you the quality of some of the buses they had to drive he would have probably manged it!

Liz
16-Jul-08, 22:55

I would love a copy as well.:D

rob murray
17-Jul-08, 17:18
The film was basically about two local lads who get trials for senior football clubs...one goes / sorta makes it the other doesnt all within the context of troubled family issues within a small town context ( and all the attended baggage !! ). The senior team involved was Partick Thistle ( I think ) The play was written by reknown wicker Colin Macdonald whose brother davy still stays in Wick. Colin has had many plays on radio and has had other TV / drama work, anyone remember the BBC play about a red clydesider fighting the system from an old folks home...Colin wrote that as well ?? Duncan went on and played for the mighty WAFC and David Campbell ( by brothers brother in law ) is now a police sergeant at Fort August.

mrs_algaliarept
17-Jul-08, 17:21
OMG that film was total ace I remember watching it in english in school always loved that film lol

hotrod4
17-Jul-08, 18:23

Would love to see it again!
Hard to believe iwt was 82/83, my how time flies :)

scorrie
17-Jul-08, 19:42
Would love to see it again!
Hard to believe iwt was 82/83, my how time flies :)

It most certainly WASN'T 82/83. The play either aired in 1989 or very early 1990. I will accept bets from anyone saying 82/83

christina
17-Jul-08, 22:59
some off the sceens were shot in a house in papigo my mate christopher mackay had to go backwards and forewards on his skate board past the window off the house they were filming in so it would look kids were playing out side:lol:

veritas
18-Jul-08, 08:15
Tommy Docherty plays the role of manager and there is a camio role by the late great Jim Baxter who does keepy up with the boys chip papers. The football is filmed at a park laid out at the Trinkie and in Glasgow it is filmed at Firhill Home of Partick Thistle.

evelyn
18-Jul-08, 12:22
The film was basically about two local lads who get trials for senior football clubs...one goes / sorta makes it the other doesnt all within the context of troubled family issues within a small town context ( and all the attended baggage !! ). The senior team involved was Partick Thistle ( I think ) The play was written by reknown wicker Colin Macdonald whose brother davy still stays in Wick. Colin has had many plays on radio and has had other TV / drama work, anyone remember the BBC play about a red clydesider fighting the system from an old folks home...Colin wrote that as well ?? Duncan went on and played for the mighty WAFC and David Campbell ( by brothers brother in law ) is now a police sergeant at Fort August.

I do remember that play, Rob. Very clevely written it was too. The central character becoming less and less sympathetic with the viewer as the play progressed.

The football one was shot at Firhill right enough which was the fictional home of the fictional Glasgow City in the play.

hotrod4
18-Jul-08, 12:39
It most certainly WASN'T 82/83. The play either aired in 1989 or very early 1990. I will accept bets from anyone saying 82/83

Still reckon it was 82/83 as I remember "ribbing" David at high school about being a film star!! and I was at high school until 1986,abd David and Duncan were a year below me,I was in the army in 89/90 and it was long before then:) Could be wrong though as the grey matter aint what it used to be;)

veritas
18-Jul-08, 13:26
I will check the credits but it was arround the same time as Wicks Quatercentery which was in 1989

domino
18-Jul-08, 19:54
Would love to see a copy

scorrie
18-Jul-08, 23:44
Still reckon it was 82/83 as I remember "ribbing" David at high school about being a film star!! and I was at high school until 1986,abd David and Duncan were a year below me,I was in the army in 89/90 and it was long before then:) Could be wrong though as the grey matter aint what it used to be;)

How much are you wagering then?

By my rough calculation, Duncan would have been aged about 10 if the play was made when you state.

Get your money down and let's get it on!!

veritas
19-Jul-08, 17:16
I can confirm I have just checked the play and it was first shown in 1989 pm me if you want a DVD copy

zappster
19-Jul-08, 17:19
I still have the double page daily record centre spread about the gift..hoping to get someone to scan it this week.

hotrod4
19-Jul-08, 17:54
I can confirm I have just checked the play and it was first shown in 1989 pm me if you want a DVD copy

Looks like I was way out with my guess at the year!, seems longer ago than 89 does that make me feel younger or older? Cant decide. Must've been the English Water i was drinking at the time ;)