PDA

View Full Version : Cat Relationships?

Bloo
15-Jul-08, 00:19
Can anybody help? I may be considering getting a new kitten to accompany my 9month old cat....Only thing is, would they get on? She is a timid, quiet, gentle playful cat. By timid i mean shy but once she warms up to something (e.g, humans) she will be perfectly fine and cuddly...Would she get on with another FEMALE cat?

Liz
15-Jul-08, 12:48
As long as you introduce a new kitten 'slowly' to your cat then things should be fine although expect some hissing and spitting for a wee while.
This is perfectly natural.

When you get the kitten keep him/her in a pet carrier for a wee while and let your cat 'inspect' the kitten this way.
If possible, an indoor cage would be ideal to keep you kitten in for the first week or so, then they could both get to know each other without risk of any fights. You could let the kitten out when the cat is not there.

When you are with the kitten and cat make a real fuss of your cat and give her some nice treats. This way she will associate the newcomer with good things!

Finally, I would highly recommend a product called Feliway which you can get as a diffuser (plug in) as this can really help in stressful situations.
The cheapest I have found is at www.vetuk.co.uk

Cats Protection have kittens needing homes so give them a shout.

Good luck!

Bloo
15-Jul-08, 15:32
Thank you for that Liz, very helpful. Its just we thought it would be better as a friend told me that they are sometimes a bit better behaved in pairs. She is well behaved but we thought it would be best to get her a litte friend :)

Liz
15-Jul-08, 19:02
You are very welcome.:D

I wouldn't say that cats are better behaved in pairs but is true of kittens as they are become bored if they have no-one to play with so will be more apt to be destructive when left alone.

Only you know what your cat would be like with a companion. Some cats like to be the only one in the family whilst others thrive with the company of other cats or pets.

Vistravi
24-Nov-08, 22:39
I got my two cats from the balmore animla centre near Reay. when i got them my tabby, Smokey was 6 mnths old and my cream ginger, Caramel was only 15 weeks. I was warned due to the Smokey's nature and the fact that it was jus her and the one owner before she came to balmore, that she mite have to stay behind.

We tried them both with each other in a small room and Smokey was doing the whole i hate you hissing thing. Caramel jus sat there jus out of reach but def not backing away as if to say "You don't scare me". Smokey kept up the hissing and clawing while Caramel curiously sniffed her and got closer to her. After about ten mins My sister and me got to take them home as the woman who took us round the centre said that we could as she coudln't see Smokey being a problem to Caramel.

My brother's cat Tiger didn't get on with my dad's cat Taz and every time they passed each other it was growl, hiss and spit. If Taz was near a door Tiger would refuse to go near it untill Taz had gone away from it or gone out of it.

Thought i'd let you know since you were worried about your cats bad reaction to another cat. All you need to do is allow them time to get to know each other. As long as both cats have free run of the house and are not resticted to one room due to the other cat they're fine together.