PDA

View Full Version : Haggis?

floyed
14-Jul-08, 16:55
What's the best way to cook it?? I am a haggis virgin:D instruction's say boil or bake in oven anyone no witch one is best??

porshiepoo
14-Jul-08, 17:40
Gotta catch one first! I hear a Dum Dum gun is the way to go!!!!!!!!

sweetpea
14-Jul-08, 17:46
I usually take it out of the skin, split into four pieces and bung it in the microwave for a few minutes.

DeHaviLand
14-Jul-08, 17:47
Boil it! Gently, so you dont burst it. 20 to 30 mins should be enough.

scotsboy
14-Jul-08, 17:51
Wrap it in tin foil, bring the water to the boil gently, then SIMMER for about 20 minutes (or whatever the label says).

wifie
14-Jul-08, 17:54
Is nice done in the oven too - out of skin in a dish - gives it another wee dimension with the crusty bits - YUM! Depending on size but about half hour on a medium heat!

gollach
14-Jul-08, 18:26
I agree with scotsboy, wrap it in foil first. It prevents accidents like "haggis soup" ;)

Tristan
14-Jul-08, 18:30
If you can get one in the stomach then I believe the best way is in the oven. The stomach changes the flavour for the better.

emszxr
14-Jul-08, 18:49
in microwave with wee bit water and butter and stir it half way. this was what i was told by cockburns butchers from dingwall, who make award winning haggis.

Ash
14-Jul-08, 18:49
we had it tonight and i love it, done in the microwave wee one is mad for it :D

trix
14-Jul-08, 18:55
hey floyed, hope ye enjoyed yer holidays, cheers for 'e photos....

haggis is ma favourite, iv choost taken one oot 'e freezer for tomorrow :D

i bile mine in a pan o' water for half an oer or so then when i slit it i put in a wee drop o' butter.....i da hev tatties wi mine, i hev neeps an carrots, blended seperately wi anither drop o' butter...

mmh....luvly ;)

hope ye enjoy x x

silverfox57
14-Jul-08, 19:08
hope our English guests looking in know that the haggis shooting season.has just started,we try to bag as many before the 12 August,

golach
14-Jul-08, 19:12
I am a microwave Haggis cook myself, slice the outer cover slightly and a five minute blast does it, I also got this method from my Butcher

lazytown
14-Jul-08, 19:18
Best way to have haggis is stuffed in a chicken and roasted, the juices of the chicken flow right through the haggis and it makes a lovley stuffing.

Dog-eared
14-Jul-08, 19:21
Tesco ( ? ) veggie haggis is very close to a good real one.

porshiepoo
14-Jul-08, 19:23
hope our English guests looking in know that the haggis shooting season.has just started,we try to bag as many before the 12 August,

So, Is the Dum Dum Gun the way to go????????????;)

silverfox57
14-Jul-08, 19:40
So, Is the Dum Dum Gun the way to go????????????;)
no think cross-bow is is better,as haggis have good hearing,dum dum gun, seem to scare them off:eek:

Kenn
14-Jul-08, 21:25
But I thought you trapped the wee beasties with nets after having run them round the mountain the wrong way!
Usually microwave mine but another way is to open, put in the open with a bechamel sauce flavoured with Drambuie and heat through thoroughly, delicious.

MadPict
14-Jul-08, 22:15
Microwave here. I also slice and fry it.

Melancholy Man
14-Jul-08, 22:35
In a slow-cooker, fill an inch or two of water and place the slightly-pricked genuine stomach haggis in a bowl. No need to wrap it, but steam for six hours. Lovely!

Cattach
15-Jul-08, 06:34
What's the best way to cook it?? I am a haggis virgin:D instruction's say boil or bake in oven anyone no witch one is best??

Skin off and six or seven minutes in the microwave. Done perfectly, no mess and a great saving oneffort and electricity as against boiling away for half an hour.

phil_moonbeam
15-Jul-08, 08:55
best haggis harrolds buthers wick cook it in the oven 15-20mins lovely

Cattach
15-Jul-08, 09:29
best haggis harrolds buthers wick cook it in the oven 15-20mins lovely

Great Haggis spoilt in the oven. Dried out and like a grilled pudding. Sacrilege - what a way to cook our national dish!! Rabbie Burns in spinning in his grave.

Camra
16-Jul-08, 20:01
I am of the understanding that the best way to catch a Haggis is to make a noise like a Thistle.
Haggis' find them irresistable !

floyed
17-Jul-08, 20:19
Haggis was lovely:D Thanks for everyone's suggestions, i opted to put it in tin foil and boil, had neep's and tattie's wee it mmm!

floyed
17-Jul-08, 20:22
hey floyed, hope ye enjoyed yer holidays, cheers for 'e photos....

haggis is ma favourite, iv choost taken one oot 'e freezer for tomorrow :D

i bile mine in a pan o' water for half an oer or so then when i slit it i put in a wee drop o' butter.....i da hev tatties wi mine, i hev neeps an carrots, blended seperately wi anither drop o' butter...

mmh....luvly ;)

hope ye enjoy x x

Thanks Trix holiday was good didna manage till camp for the 6 days tho midges where terrible, and the weather after day 2. Will tell you more and show you all the pic's when i see youxxx