PDA

View Full Version : Attention all Dog Owners

Venture
14-Jul-08, 16:38
Not all dog owners on the org check the pets section so I have posted this thread here and hopefully the Mods will not move it. If you are a dog owner please read the story from the link below. I for one wasn't aware until recently just how dangerous it is to give your dog chocolate in any form (apart from Doggie Chocolate) or cakes or biscuits containing sultanas or raisins. Even grapes are dangerous. You might think you're being good to them, but you're not.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1034677/Massive-increase-dogs-poisoned-chocolate-grapes--fed-owners.html

teenybash
14-Jul-08, 16:45
Having dogs and cats and already knowing the dangers of chocolate.... they don't get it..but I didn't know about the raisins etc....Thank you for this post.

justine
14-Jul-08, 16:46
this is why it stipulates when getting a puppy to feed it nothing that we eat, especially chocolates cakes and the likes.Our dogs get nothing but dog food and dog bones and treats, nothing that is consumable by humans.

porshiepoo
14-Jul-08, 16:53
I guess I just assumed everybody knew about the dangers of choccie, raisins etc. :eek:
I'm with Justinem mine get nothing but the canine variety of food. With the exception of Pasta every now and again and boiled Chicken and Rice if they've had stomach upsets. I wouldn't feed them those things as a matter of course though!

Venture
14-Jul-08, 16:57
I'm not saying that people don't feed their dogs properly. The majority are responsible owners, and know what a dog's diet should consist of. It's treats I'm on about.

I'm sure many of us have been in a situation where you're eating a cake or something like it and you look up and see two big eyes and a drooling mouth begging for a bit. That little bit of fruit cake you end up giving or the last bit of your choclate biscuit can cause the harm.

Children should be made aware of the risks as well. How many of them leave sweets sitting where a dog could easily get them?

porshiepoo
14-Jul-08, 17:39
I'm not saying that people don't feed their dogs properly. The majority are responsible owners, and know what a dog's diet should consist of. It's treats I'm on about.

I'm sure many of us have been in a situation where you're eating a cake or something like it and you look up and see two big eyes and a drooling mouth begging for a bit. That little bit of fruit cake you end up giving or the last bit of your choclate biscuit can cause the harm.

Children should be made aware of the risks as well. How many of them leave sweets sitting where a dog could easily get them?

Ahhhhhhh yes, the puppy dog eyes! :( Resist, we must resist. lol

Normal foodstuff of ours can be a problem too though, alongside the choccie and sweets. Canines stomachs just aren't equipped to deal with our palette and you'll find them throwing up after eating just the tiniest of things.
Having said that, I know people who have fed their dogs food scraps daily and have had no ill effects so I guess they must be able to adapt.

Apologies, I'm wandering away from the initial post regarding chocolate and sweets.
Perhaps there should be Pet initiation classes made available, it never ceases to amaze me how an absolute Eejit can own a dog, or any animal, and not have to show any kind of understanding of the animals welfare.
Not that I'm suggesting people who don't know about Choccie ETC are Eejits...................I'm going to shut up now!!!!!!!!:eek:

Sandra_B
14-Jul-08, 18:23
I knew about chocolate but not raisins and grapes.

I caught our youngest feeding our dog strawberries last week. The worst thing that happened was the dog found he had a taste for strawberries and went out and ate them off all our plants in the garden, which he had ignored before that.

Both boys have had another talking to about feeding the pets "people food".

silverfox57
14-Jul-08, 18:49
I knew about chocolate but not raisins and grapes.

I caught our youngest feeding our dog strawberries last week. The worst thing that happened was the dog found he had a taste for strawberries and went out and ate them off all our plants in the garden, which he had ignored before that.

Both boys have had another talking to about feeding the pets "people food".
my last dog would eat bumble bees,had along life for his breed:lol:

phil_moonbeam
15-Jul-08, 08:57
nice post very helpful