PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Repairs

IC
14-Jul-08, 00:03
We have a laptop which has had water split on it and of course is now not working. Looking for someone to have a look at it for a reasonable rate to find out if it can be repaired and of course if it is worth doing or just to buy a new one.

Bobinovich
14-Jul-08, 23:05
Sorry IC - there's not a lot you can do. Turn it upside down, shoogle it to ensure all liquid is out, let it dry out thoroughly, and then hope for the best. If something has short-circuited then it's unlikely to switch on - or if it does it may well just go "pfut" after a few seconds!

If so your only real option is to either grimmace & bear it, or make a claim on your house insurance.

If you need to make contact with a local firm then you can try the business pages (http://www.caithness-business.co.uk/category.php?cat=67)...

DeHaviLand
15-Jul-08, 00:27
After you've followed Bobinovich's shoogle recommendation, get yourself a large, sealable plastic bag. Put the laptop in it, fill it up with rice, seal it, and leave for 3 days. If you're lucky, you might just save it. One things for sure, your laptop will be dry.

phil_moonbeam
15-Jul-08, 09:11
if it was just water try a hairdryer or if you have a dehumidifier set it beside it for a few days that should dry it out

router
15-Jul-08, 20:12
After you've followed Bobinovich's shoogle recommendation, get yourself a large, sealable plastic bag. Put the laptop in it, fill it up with rice, seal it, and leave for 3 days. If you're lucky, you might just save it. One things for sure, your laptop will be dry.

if it was just water try a hairdryer or if you have a dehumidifier set it beside it for a few days that should dry it out

the only thing you will acheive with these methods is risk creating more condensation which causes further problem,in most cases it is better to completely strip the pc and dry the main board/s,in an oven (after removal of plastic bodied connectors or parts that can't take some heat)then rebuild and test.
putting in an oven may seem daft but this is end of process during the building of the board after it has been through a detergent and water wash to remove excess flux ,too much of which can cause big problems ,and any dust, dirt, grease ,etc

Sapphire2803
16-Jul-08, 20:21
the only thing you will acheive with these methods is risk creating more condensation which causes further problem,in most cases it is better to completely strip the pc and dry the main board/s,in an oven (after removal of plastic bodied connectors or parts that can't take some heat)then rebuild and test.
putting in an oven may seem daft but this is end of process during the building of the board after it has been through a detergent and water wash to remove excess flux ,too much of which can cause big problems ,and any dust, dirt, grease ,etc

Ummm.... Please don't do that :eek:

To be honest, you're saying it's now not working, so it's probably too late.
Note for next time...

If you spill liquids on a laptop, unplug it and pull the battery out as fast as you can. The damage is usually done by electric current crossing (through the liquid) between places it should be and places it shouldn't.
Do not plug it in until you're sure it's dry.

router
17-Jul-08, 12:19
[quote=Sapphire2803;407877]Ummm.... Please don't do that :eek:

why?
i worked in the industry for years have built thousands of boards repaired just as many put them all through same the process and they all went out the door fully packed and working...........in other words ,i do know what i am talking about[disgust]

Sapphire2803
18-Jul-08, 01:16
Why? Because anyone who is capable of doing that wouldn't have asked the question in the first place and I know someone who is more than capable of doing that having worked in the industry for 25 years and he wouldn't even attempt to take off a surface mount connector without having access to at least £1000 worth of equipment.

You tell the average person to go off and take a soldering iron to their laptop, heaven forbid, they just might do it. Who are they gonna blame when it all goes mammaries skywards?

router
18-Jul-08, 12:11
Why? Because anyone who is capable of doing that wouldn't have asked the question in the first place and I know someone who is more than capable of doing that having worked in the industry for 25 years and he wouldn't even attempt to take off a surface mount connector without having access to at least £1000 worth of equipment.

You tell the average person to go off and take a soldering iron to their laptop, heaven forbid, they just might do it. Who are they gonna blame when it all goes mammaries skywards?

i wasn't telling anyone to take an iron to their pc...but that's what i would do to mine,as i know what i am doing.i was just stating how to do it properly without farting about with hairdryers etc.
and i have already pm'd this person offering help with their problem as i have access to equipment.and am in process of replacing other equipment i lost in a house breaking.

it is obvious you are just trying to have a dig
so i am leaving this thread