PDA

View Full Version : k2 indian wick

Tc4
13-Jul-08, 19:33
Hey does anyone know if the K2 indian in wick uses freerange chicken?

connieb19
13-Jul-08, 19:44
Why dont you phone them and ask?

Tc4
13-Jul-08, 19:48
Yea i did but they didna understand what i was asking about!

_Ju_
13-Jul-08, 20:39
Considering free range chicken is substantially more expensive than intensive reared, if a restaurant used free range they would advertise it (otherwise why use more expensive ingredients?)

Julia
13-Jul-08, 21:04
I'm almost certain they don't, I don't think anywhere local offers free range chicken which is a shame.

TBH
13-Jul-08, 21:09
Hey does anyone know if the K2 indian in wick uses freerange chicken?Apparently they are allowed to exercise three times a day.

wifie
13-Jul-08, 22:48
Hey does anyone know if the K2 indian in wick uses freerange chicken?

Have you tried askin them who their suppliers are? We should all be askin a lot more questions of food producers and shops and restaurants - I know they could lie but I am sure if they are reputable they would not - they want your custom after all!

Bill Fernie
14-Jul-08, 10:00
Most places I have been to that use organic products or more expensive ranges of produce usually tell you that they do on their menus or in literature somewhere around the premises. If they do not then as with most businesses they will try to maximise their profits by using the cheapest produce that still gives them the quality their customers will accept or be pleased with.

If you do not actually know that products being used are better quality or organic (if that is what is wanted) then it is safer to assume they are not.

The catering industry in the UK is vast with tens of thousands of suppliers not to mention supermarkets who offer a wide range of products from the very cheap and budget ranges to the most expensive.

If you want to know what a particular business might be buying to offer to customers then keep an eye out for businesses who buy locally at supermarkets and look at what they are putting in their trolleys in larger than family quantities.

Most larger businesses will buy from catering companies that deliver regularly. Cost is a major factor in any food establishment and strict controls are needed to stay in business. Pre-prepared and frozen food is used by many establishments and few places nowadays will offer fresh produce and if they do they usually say so.

Of course there is nothing wrong in a business trying to be as efficient as possible and otherwise they go bust. However if customers want something different then they will have to ask fo it and patronise businesses who offer what they are looking for and that might mean it is more expensive. Keeping fresh produce that may not be sold incurs losses that need to be minimised. Offering organic produce may make the food more expensive. Will customers be prepared to pay the extra?

As some of you will have noted in the free range eggs thread http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=52361&highlight=eggs it is all to easy to disguise a product and probably even easier in food that has been cooked. Perhaps the integrity of an establishment should be questioned more often by customers asking where the food they are being offered comes from particularly when you may also be feeding it to your children or grandchildren.

In all probability there is nothing wrong with cheaper food but if you care about the ethics of food production and animal welfare it may mean asking more probing questions or checking before eating. Not many people do this but if more did then perhaps this would lead to improvements all round.

Cattach
14-Jul-08, 12:04
Most places I have been to that use organic products or more expensive ranges of produce usually tell you that they do on their menus or in literature somewhere around the premises. If they do not then as with most businesses they will try to maximise their profits by using the cheapest produce that still gives them the quality their customers will accept or be pleased with.

If you do not actually know that products being used are better quality or organic (if that is what is wanted) then it is safer to assume they are not.

The catering industry in the UK is vast with tens of thousands of suppliers not to mention supermarkets who offer a wide range of products from the very cheap and budget ranges to the most expensive.

If you want to know what a particular business might be buying to offer to customers then keep an eye out for businesses who buy locally at supermarkets and look at what they are putting in their trolleys in larger than family quantities.

Most larger businesses will buy from catering companies that deliver regularly. Cost is a major factor in any food establishment and strict controls are needed to stay in business. Pre-prepared and frozen food is used by many establishments and few places nowadays will offer fresh produce and if they do they usually say so.

Of course there is nothing wrong in a business trying to be as efficient as possible and otherwise they go bust. However if customers want something different then they will have to ask fo it and patronise businesses who offer what they are looking for and that might mean it is more expensive. Keeping fresh produce that may not be sold incurs losses that need to be minimised. Offering organic produce may make the food more expensive. Will customers be prepared to pay the extra?

As some of you will have noted in the free range eggs thread http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=52361&highlight=eggs it is all to easy to disguise a product and probably even easier in food that has been cooked. Perhaps the integrity of an establishment should be questioned more often by customers asking where the food they are being offered comes from particularly when you may also be feeding it to your children or grandchildren.

In all probability there is nothing wrong with cheaper food but if you care about the ethics of food production and animal welfare it may mean asking more probing questions or checking before eating. Not many people do this but if more did then perhaps this would lead to improvements all round.

That sounds like pretty good advice and a very balanced view on the food industry. Some people are snobish about their food purchasing and the establishments they eat in. I know folk who have said they would never shop at Lidl and yet rave about the quality of food in a certain restaurant or hotel. If they went to Lidl they would very likely see someone for the eating establishment pushing a trolley full of basic foodstuffs for use in their kitchen. I also know an establishement in Thurso selling excellent steak suppers. Where do they buy steak - Tesco!
A friend of mine work as a student in the pea processing and packing industry in Leicestershire. What happened in the canning plane - instruction was to run 10,000 Co-op Labels followed by 10,000 Lockwoods labels - same tins, same peas different labels yet some would have us believe one brand better than the other.

sweetpea
14-Jul-08, 18:03

I've seen this happening on many occassions with things like Lidl pasta and curry sauce. The cooks just add some veg and voila you have what you could have had at home any night..... Loads of hotels and restuarants do this all the time especially with special offers. Food is so easy to make a profit from.
I find ity harder and harder these days to find anywhere to get something original to eat.

phil_moonbeam
15-Jul-08, 08:59
i know there lamb is bought local but dont know about there chicken