PDA

View Full Version : Caithness History

RandomHero
09-Dec-05, 21:35
Does anyone know of any gritty and dark true stories from Caithness' history? Particularily Thurso?

mr bean
09-Dec-05, 22:00
Does anyone know of any gritty and dark true stories from Caithness' history? Particularily Thurso?Yes it,s a dump

RandomHero
09-Dec-05, 22:52
You will learn that Caithness is your home and you will come to love it some day. I have recently found this out after living away for a considerable time. Look around you, you have no idea how good you've got it here.

mr bean
09-Dec-05, 22:57
If its so brilliant why did you move away and i said thurso not the whole of caithness i love the rest of it.

fed-ex
09-Dec-05, 23:00
Is there a story do do with a mummy and Castletown?

RandomHero
09-Dec-05, 23:25
i moved away bcoz i had a job that i needed to do down there. but now i'm back. caithness is great, nowhere quite like it.

Kenn
09-Dec-05, 23:26
I have never authenticated the stories I have heard about the hanging of witches but it seems to often occur within the folklore.
Now if you go back to Viking times there certainly were some blood feuds and dire deeds.

kas
09-Dec-05, 23:38
I am afraid I havent heard of any Caithness ones. But if you like folklore stories, an excellent book to get is "Tales of the North Coast" by Alan Temperley. It has historical tales and folklore, I first read this book when I was 10 and have read it many times over. The area ranges from Reay to Toungue.

Uppiebalad
10-Dec-05, 02:02
You cannot always see the forrest by standing in the middle of it.
Thurso has it's failings but also has many plus points which I'm not going to branch into in this thread save to say, if you think Thurso is a dump why not pull your fingure out and do something to help it improve itself- and that goes for anyone has poor opinion of their own or neigbouring towns.

As for local history, most of Thurso's grusome tales are common knowledge but have you tryed speaking to the people at Cinema For Thurso Group. They have a heap of local stories which they are using to create films with.

krieve
10-Dec-05, 18:43
Thats sounds a good book kas.

krieve
10-Dec-05, 18:44
Is there a story do do with a mummy and Castletown?
A mummy and castletown whats that about fed ex never heard about that?

lab
10-Dec-05, 22:11
I studied Scottish history at aberdeen uni but when it came to a local history project everyone I asked said ask Allen Mckiver he collects the rubbish in thusto town center he knows an awfull lot and was always very helpful but some of his dates were out. I have some books if you want to give me a pm would be happy to lend them. Have you heard the one about bishop Adam from Halkirk must be the most horrid local historic tale Ive ever heard.