PDA

View Full Version : Garvault Hotel

northener
12-Jul-08, 18:59
Anyone stopped there recently?

We're there for a short break next Sunday night.

emszxr
12-Jul-08, 19:57
stopped there a few years ago and got told i wasnt welcome, as was on 2 wheels other than a huge 4x4.

Solus
12-Jul-08, 21:10
Crikey ems, there still places that game, [evil]

Kevin Milkins
12-Jul-08, 21:18
Anyone stopped there recently?

We're there for a short break next Sunday night.

Dont be taking the bike then.:D

northener
13-Jul-08, 16:18
Dont be taking the bike then.:D

No danger of that Kevin, unless I take the box full of bike bits in the back of the car.........

I seem to remember that the Garvault changed hands recently, certainly the bloke I talked to on the phone seemed pretty laid back and not a 1970's 'no bikers' throwback.

I'll make a point of asking when I get there.....[evil]

bothyman
13-Jul-08, 16:38
You could always ask??

>> http://www.garvaulthotel.co.uk/index.html

I know someone who called in with a 4x4 and he reckoned once was enough.

Hopefully the new owners have a different attitude.

hotrod4
13-Jul-08, 17:56
Whether you wish to tour the area on foot, by car or cycle, we can help and if you would like to take part in our Highland pursuits we can organise it for you but if you dream of peace and tranquility just enjoy. Come and join us in splendid isolation.

Thats from their site, noticed its Cycle and not MOTOR cycle!! ;)

ciderally
13-Jul-08, 18:17
och you will have a fine time whatever....enjoy

percy toboggan
13-Jul-08, 18:28
Don't these numpties realise that most 'bikers' now are Mr & Mrs forty/fifty odd - kids grown up and re-discovering the enjoyment of two wheels (strangely, often behind the full-face helmet) ?

Wher eis this place anyway?
Good luck Northener...have a fine time.

northener
13-Jul-08, 20:52
Don't these numpties realise that most 'bikers' now are Mr & Mrs forty/fifty odd - kids grown up and re-discovering the enjoyment of two wheels (strangely, often behind the full-face helmet) ?

Wher eis this place anyway?
Good luck Northener...have a fine time.

Percy, you'd like the location.

It is the most remote hotel in Scotland and is on the B871 half way between Kinbrace in Strath Kildonan and Syre in Strath Naver, at the foot of Ben Griam Mor.

We've been past it loads of times and always threatened to stop there. Unusually for us, we've managed to blag a whole day and a half off.

So sod it, we're gonna live the high (and remote) life!...well, just for one night.

I'll report back on here and let everyone know if it's any good - and answer the 'biker' question.

Regarding 'no biker' rules, I've been ordered out of premises that would happily serve a car full of drunken Neds....say no more:roll:.

northener
21-Jul-08, 18:14
We had a cracking time.

Graham and his wife have ben running it for 5 years. They welcome bikers (he was saying that they get quite a few) with open arms (and an open bar:D).

If you like swanky hotels with dead posh rooms and menus- -forget this place.

However, if you like hotels that feel like home, that have a small but excellently cooked menu and very laid back and friendly owners - you'll love this place.

If you like fishing, you're in trouty heaven or if you like walking/anything outdoors - this is the place.....

Sunday saw us at the top of Ben Griam Mor (560m) in a screaming gale with zero viz. Monday saw us getting sunburned walking on the sand beaches of the freshwater lochs.

Luvverly........

N.

percy toboggan
21-Jul-08, 18:44
We had a cracking time....

Luvverly........

N.

Glad to hear it N. Hope it's recharged yer batteries.
Sounds like a smashin' place.

l/m

ciderally
21-Jul-08, 20:56
glad you both had a good time .....now back to work...

northener
21-Jul-08, 21:18
Yup batteries recharged!

And back to work.........:(

bekisman
21-Jul-08, 22:54
Hi Northerner "Sunday saw us at the top of Ben Griam Mor (560m)" - if you looked due north you'd have seen our house!.
By the way any midges at loch level?

northener
22-Jul-08, 19:21
Hi Northerner "Sunday saw us at the top of Ben Griam Mor (560m)" - if you looked due north you'd have seen our house!.
By the way any midges at loch level?

Couldn't see a damn thing!

No midgies, too hot and breezy. But the horseflies were out in hordes.

Setanta
23-Jul-08, 11:31
A few of us went for a bike run recently and stopped at the Hotel, the reception was very friendly and laid back. Shame the petrol pump wasnt working ;-)