PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Iron shaped burn in carpet

dragonfly
12-Jul-08, 12:08
my darling daughter decided to do her ironing in the living room and knocked(??) the iron off the table and I now have a lovely iron shaped imprint in my 3 month old carpet [evil]!!!!

I have tried brushing the pile in a different direction with a dogs grooming brush (wire hooked type) and also by placing baking paper over it and reheating it with a warm iron but neither have taken the imprint completely out - still have the top 1/3 of iron showing complete with steam jet holes.

Does anyone else have any other ideas other than cutting square out and replacing or recarpeting????

please help or daughter will be in dog house for a long time

davem
12-Jul-08, 12:19
Insurance or a rug! sorry really can't think of anything else.

dragonfly
12-Jul-08, 12:29
its in the wrong place to cover with anything unfortunately, and not wanting to go down insurance route unless necessary as we have a no claims type of insurance which I don't want to lose unless i have to :( thanks anyway davem

Rheghead
12-Jul-08, 12:33
Will the patch see much wear and tear under feet? If not then you could try replacing the threads individually and stitching them back in from an off-cut or hidden part of the carpet using a strong blunt needle or using one of those 1970s embroidery game tools or even super glue. Painstakingly tedious I know but you've got nothing to lose now Then using one of those 'fuzz aways' or an electric razor, try buffing it back level with the rest of the carpet. A brass wire brush for suede shoes could help here.

dragonfly
12-Jul-08, 12:41
no, it would only be walked on if going to the window, so it would only get trod on if opening/closing blinds or being nosy ;)

My mum suggested that to me too but wasn't quite beleiving her. I have tried the suede brush, it is a LOT better than when I first saw it and probably if anyone were to come in they wouldn't see it unless they knew where to look but last night it was as obvious as the nose on your face, glaringly so!!!! I'll keep perservering with brusing the pile to see if i can separate the strands anymore

Rheghead
12-Jul-08, 12:45
How about using a very sharp tipped pair of scissors and snipping the singed ends off each of the threads? Again tedious. Hopefully, the colour can be restored.

nicnic74
12-Jul-08, 13:09
Try using a puma stone that you use for getting the hard skin off your feet, i have used it for burn on carpet & also for a burn on a fleece jacket just rub it very gently & the black bits come of & it cums up a treat & you can hardly notice the mark.

nightowl
12-Jul-08, 13:40
Try getting back to the carpet layer. The good ones have all sorts of tricks and ways of repairing. It may be suitable to cut out a patch and replace. Invisible mending so to speak!

binbob
12-Jul-08, 15:36
rehome ur daughter..free to a bad home!!

rfr10
12-Jul-08, 15:56
If the carpet it white, rub chalk dust into it. If it is dark, make up some other substance.

Use a blunt pair of scissors, nail clippers or razor to scratch the surface of the carpet into a dust which should make the burn appear lighter.

Cut the burnt part off on top and then fluff up with your wire brush.

Removing iron burns from anything which is made up of fibres is almost impossible.

The only best way to do it, which you've said you don't want to do would be to cut the square out and replace it with the same carpet. Should be effective and cheap to do.

dragonfly
12-Jul-08, 17:24
rehome ur daughter..free to a bad home!!

I've tried, got her in the "free stuff" section but no-one's enquired about her yet, think I'm stuck with her!!!

binbob
12-Jul-08, 20:23
leave her there long enough..u just never know.joking apart ,i do hope u get the carpet sorted...as someone else said..try a carpet fitter.good luck.

poppett
12-Jul-08, 22:50
A good carpet fitter should be able to match in the square and heat seal it so you won`t see the join. Have you tried ice on it? I know that raises the pile once a heavy weight has been removed, so it might raise the existing pile a bit on the iron mark. Good luck.

Bill Fernie
14-Jul-08, 11:44
I agree with Poppet that a good carpet fitter will be able to patch sufficiently well that you will not see the join. If it is plain capet it should be almost invisble. A pattern may be more tricky but still be a very good repair if you have spare piece to fit in. They can use metal backing strip which is then heated to a high temperarture and is probably stronger when added than the original carpet and shold not come apart no matter how it is treated afterwards. You may be surprised at how fast a tradesman can fix this problem.

A good carpet fitter should be able to match in the square and heat seal it so you won`t see the join. Have you tried ice on it? I know that raises the pile once a heavy weight has been removed, so it might raise the existing pile a bit on the iron mark. Good luck.

dragonfly
14-Jul-08, 12:23
thanks all, I'll pop into the shop on my way home tonight to see what they can suggest.

stewart4364
14-Jul-08, 13:00
Probably the best way of repairing the "burnt" carpet is to cut out the area and heat seam a new piece remembering that if it is a plain carpet that the pile is going in the correct direction or the repair will stick out like a sore thumb. If the carpet is patterned the above is also true but you also have to make certain of a proper match. Unfortunately the plain carpet is more likely to show a repair than a patterned carpet. Your carpet fitter should be able to help. I have fitted carpets for 20 years and have had to deal with similar problems, although not iron burns, achieving very good results. With a patterned carpet I could challenge anyone to find the repair if it was done properly assuming the carpet and the patch look similar and a proper match could be available from the new piece of carpet. A carpet which has been laid for some time will obviously be of a completly different feel and texture than a new piece being used for the repair, this will determine the final result. You may find that everything goes perfectly. All the best with your problems -- your daughter knew how she would not be asked to do the ironing again.

George Brims
15-Jul-08, 08:21
Move all the furniture out of the room, or if that's hard, all to one end. Then pick a spacing, say 2 feet each way, and get going with the iron. Repeat the smudge in a nice alternating pattern. I guarantee, people will look at it, then look at you in amazement!

phil_moonbeam
15-Jul-08, 08:51
try a wax crayon thats what my mum did after a similar accident