PDA

View Full Version : Help, toilets gone!!

nightowl
12-Jul-08, 10:12
Warning! The public toilets in Golspie have gone! Demolished! I know they were pretty dire but any port in a storm, so don't plan a stop there on your way to Inverness. Anyone know of any alternatives in Golspie? Maybe a beautiful new toilet complex will rise from the rubble. Can only wish. I do realize this will only be of interest to folks with small kids, who've been heavy on the squash and ladies of a certain age[lol]

highlander
12-Jul-08, 11:05
The ones in Brora are clean.

lazytown
12-Jul-08, 11:44
We usually stop in Helmsdale or Brora.

badger
12-Jul-08, 12:15
I think they may have been demolished just so they can be replaced with something better. I wrote to a local councillor there ages ago complaining about the state of them (they were pretty disgusting) and they were aware of it. Heaven only knows what visitors travelling through thought of them. I am a bit surprised they have gone that far though as would have thought they could easily just have been improved, they didn't need a demolition job. Maybe it's easier and cheaper to start again.

nightowl
12-Jul-08, 13:33
I must admit that for a long time now, Brora has been my stopping place of choice. But as you all know "bursters cant be choosers" and its as well to know that the Golspie option is out meantime. Hope you are right about the new toilets, Badger, you certainly are about the tourists!!

ABeautifulLie
12-Jul-08, 15:26
What am I going to do on the way to Inverness now? :eek:

poppett
12-Jul-08, 15:40
Brora toilets are usually quite clean. Helmsdale is pretty grim, but not as bad as Golspie was. Dunbeath ones are lovely and clean although they are off the main road a bit.

The Ben Braggie hotel in Golspie is allowing folk to use their loo, likewise the trawler restaurant has loos out the back which they let me use although the restaurant was closed on Tuesday night. During the day the "Coffee Bothy" is open in Golspie and have a lovely clean disabled facility.

Hope when the new ones arrive in Golspie they are not the "superloo" variety you have to queue outside while they wash themselves out after every use, like chinese water torture to the needy, then the cubicle is so wet it ruins shoes and there is nowhere to put the handbag without it getting drenched.

Morrisons shop in Alness and the Skiach cafe have toilets for public use. Hope that relieves the stressful situation folks.

Blondie
12-Jul-08, 15:57
Which toilets in Brora do you mean? I've always thought the ones near the co op to be disgusting! Are there others?

Also where abouts in Dunbeath are the toilets?

percy toboggan
12-Jul-08, 16:20
Too many toilets down 'ere have been demolished or boarded up. They apparently became haunts for promiscuous homosexuals and/or drug dealing scum.

Another sign of a failing society when basic needs of its citizens cannot be catered for in a civilised way without the interference of low life...who seem to be gaining the whip hand.

badger
12-Jul-08, 18:19
Hope when the new ones arrive in Golspie they are not the "superloo" variety you have to queue outside while they wash themselves out after every use, like chinese water torture to the needy, then the cubicle is so wet it ruins shoes and there is nowhere to put the handbag without it getting drenched.

Have never tried one of those, obviously something to avoid. Bags, shopping etc. are a problem in many loos because for some reason they don't provide hooks. Can never understand why as who wants to put anything on a public loo floor? Yuk [disgust] Presumably not a problem for men so maybe it doesn't occur to them.

emszxr
12-Jul-08, 18:21
the toilets are demolished to be replaced with ones that are costing a fortune that the lovely kids will probably wreck again. i thought they would have put a portacabin toilets in placement the now though.
whats wrong with a the good old lay-bys?

TBH
12-Jul-08, 18:43
The police are investigating the demolition of the toilets but at the moment, have nothing to go on.

wifie
12-Jul-08, 18:47
Boom Boom The old ones are the best TBH! ;)

TBH
12-Jul-08, 18:54
Boom Boom The old ones are the best TBH! ;)Aye, Ronnie Barker would be proud.

wifie
12-Jul-08, 19:01
And it's goodnight from him............

gardeninginagale
12-Jul-08, 20:57
This has ruined my day. Golspie toilets gone? Coming home from Aberdeenshire, I always crossed my legs rather than waste 20p at North Kessok. Golspie was the Holy Grail, even if it meant crossing my legs. Which is not a good idea when you're driving, and once cost me a ticket at Tore. "Honestly, Officer, I had my left foot on the accelerator, 'cos I was desparate to get to Golspie". Didn't work.

This is the end of my world. I'm going to have to pee in that layby north of Dunrobin now. In front of all the tourists.

Oh, the shame of it . . .

Solus
12-Jul-08, 21:02
I pulled in at Golspie the other week looking for the toilets, only to fidn they were gone. But a lovely aroma of coffee waffed across, so grabbed a coffee from the bothy and used their toilets at same time. :D

wifie
12-Jul-08, 21:26
Solus? Was there not a free table?

Solus
12-Jul-08, 21:31
there was , a curb with a view :)

bigjjuk
12-Jul-08, 21:57
a new toilet is being built in golspie as we speak.

wifie
12-Jul-08, 22:02
Crikey they are workin late! Must have heard there was concern on the forum or they did not want all the peeps from Caithness stoppin in the laybys and frightening the tourists! ;)

poppett
12-Jul-08, 22:45
Blondie

I am usually in Brora about the same time as the gentleman who tries to keep the loos clean, so maybe later in the day they are awful.

Dunbeath toilets are off the main road, turn right into the village, then follow the road when it bears left and down under the main road. Loo block is on the left hand side.

elaine
12-Jul-08, 23:41
But, whatever you do, don't stop at the Kessock toilets (going TOWARDS Inverness) on the other side of the road from the paying ones.

We innocently did, and discovered that the toilets were deserted (thank god, looking back) but the car park was FULL.

Ahem, needless to say we couldn't move fast enough in a "LETS GET OUTTA HERE!!!" type way. Apparently, what goes on there is common knowledge - don't wanna say, but it's named after a common household pet (NOT "catting" - LOL) woof!

Be warned (....shudder)

Elaine x

lasher
12-Jul-08, 23:45
This has ruined my day. Golspie toilets gone? Coming home from Aberdeenshire, I always crossed my legs rather than waste 20p at North Kessok. Golspie was the Holy Grail, even if it meant crossing my legs. Which is not a good idea when you're driving, and once cost me a ticket at Tore. "Honestly, Officer, I had my left foot on the accelerator, 'cos I was desparate to get to Golspie". Didn't work.

This is the end of my world. I'm going to have to pee in that layby north of Dunrobin now. In front of all the tourists.

Oh, the shame of it . . .
Whats wrong with stopping at the skiach?

Kevin Milkins
13-Jul-08, 00:17
a new toilet is being built in golspie as we speak.

It wont be spend a penny then ,more like spend a pound if they are paying overtime rates to build a toilet block at 10pm on a Saturday night .:lol:

hobbes1962
13-Jul-08, 13:12

Urrrggghhhh I really hope they don't put one of these in. I had to use one in Italy last week as I couldn't wait but it was so disgusting I wish I had waited! It may be self cleaning but it still stunk or urine and everything was soaking wet!

Tighsonas4
13-Jul-08, 19:44
TOILETS
its long overdue for the golspie toiliets to be demolished[what a hum ]
and it used to be used by coaches etc as a stopping place.
what tourists thought of it i dont know
it was a disgrace to what is a lovely village tony

lynne duncan
14-Jul-08, 09:54
we stopped there last night, thought the portacabin was temporary toilets unfortunately not, but was heading over to the trawler chippie and the kind folks let me and the 3 bursting kiddies use their toilets, they were saying that the cabarfeidh is the allocated public toilets until new ones built.
mind you we also got the loveliest chips which kept the bairns in peace most of the way up the road.

Sandra
14-Jul-08, 12:27
I stopped there Friday night. There was a sign on the fencing saying that temporary public loos were available in the Ceildh (not sure of spelling) hotel, so I went there.