PDA

View Full Version : Glasgow murder rate (apologies Angela)

percy toboggan
11-Jul-08, 23:37
I was rather dismissive of 'Angela' the other day when she mentioned Glasgow in the context of knife crime.

Statistics which came to light yesterday however reveal Glasgow - pro-rata- has a murder rate more than three times that of London...which surprised me.

With four more killings in the last couple of days the metropolis might be catching up but the second city of the Empire clearly has a major problem....it's had an image of toughness and violence for decades of course but I didn't realise it was quite so bad.

I did discourage my Son from 'parking-up' in Cambuslang the other night...he was a bit gung-ho but prudently took my advice of a berth to the south in Lesmahagow (truck stop) We always avoided Glasgow in the eighties...preferring Hamilton, at a pinch...the bus station...I expect it's all changed now of course....most things do :( Perhaps Cambuslang is now a garden suburb, with cafe culture , and hanging baskets.

Solus
12-Jul-08, 00:22
It was a very real threat when I lived there, the amount of lads we got coming through our doors with knife scars was unbelieveable, or scars from home made blades and shanks, with the slash from behind across the face being the most horrific thing, slashings were a very common occourance now it seems its stabbings. Some wear them with some kind of sick pride to show " how hard" they are, and they really dont think twice about using a knife in a fight let alone a robbery. It used to be within the gangs / areas over ground, settle scores but now its spilled over into people not worried about pulling a knife and attacking joe public just to rob them.
I had a few lads try to rob me one night after a session in the city, sobbered me up very quick and got off with a smack round the head with a bat before they legged it, thankfully :confused

Angela
12-Jul-08, 08:52
I was rather dismissive of 'Angela' the other day when she mentioned Glasgow in the context of knife crime.

LOL percy, I shall print off this admission (for which I thank you), frame it and give it pride of place on the mantelpiece! :lol:

In fact I mentioned 'Scotland'. You mentioned Glasgow and suggested that while it had been a problem there years ago, if the situation had been all that bad it would have been 'sorted out' by now.

Sadly this just isn't the case, and while it's certainly a greater problem in some areas of Glasgow, there are a significant number of knife crimes committed all over Scotland on a depressingly regular basis.

On this occasion I fear you'll have to reconsider your opinion of me as Org Airhead![lol]

Thumper
12-Jul-08, 08:55
I am heading off to Glasgow soon,so if anyone has any advice on what areas to avoid/be careful in please let me know as it has been years since I have been there,apart from the airport just passing through x

tigger2u
12-Jul-08, 09:01
From the outside Glasgow is and always will be a very intimidating city. I have lived here all my 41 years and live in the East End of the city which no matter what Stats you pull out, will be among the highest in the city for poverty etc. Yet I havent been involved in anything like the stuff you hear. That doesnt mean I dont know it happens

However most of these crimes seem to be around those that know each other as there is still a big gang and territorial culture within certian areas. But Glasgow isnt unique in this, most places have some sort of territorial issues. But on occassion some people dont do themselves any favours by their own drinking habits and becomming involved in silly arguments and I think this goes for any of our cities not just Glasgow.

I hate it when the national news/papers etc seem to glorify the "hardmen" of the city and give them book deals etc as this seems to give the sign that crime can pay bigtime. I've never read the likes of Jimmy Boyle or the Thomsons story and I never will. I have known of some of the infamous gang & knife culture of the 60's and thats not what we want to see happening again. There are alot of us older generations that has been responsible for what is happening now by teaching it to their kids. This cycle has to get broken somehow and hopefully the regeneration of the city will help towards that, especially in the East End.

I always find it amazing how a small % of people are more remembered for the horrible things they do rather than the majority of the people of Glasgow that are good,decent and very proud to be a weegies :D

I know i went off track a bit but the issues here are bigger than just Stats.

Angela
12-Jul-08, 09:22
Tigger, I love Glasgow and have never had any problems when I visit. My younger daughter is an adopted weegie and my older daughter's lived there on and off over the years. I've several friends in the city and none of them have (touch wood!) been the victim of any violent crime. We've found that Glaswegians have a slightly different sense of personal space than us reserved types from the buttoned up Capital... I've found you guys are so much friendlier and like to cosy up to us even if you're just giving street directions!:D

Glasgow's built on a much grander scale than Auld Reekie and it never fails to impress -and sometimes intimate -me, because of its sheer size, its larger buildings and its liveliness. I'd hate folk to be put off visiting because they feel it's not safe.

Edinburgh, despite outward appearances, also has its dangerous areas, on a smaller scale. I know where they are and never set foot in them.

I agree with you that there are deep seated cultural issues we need to resolve. Alcohol misuse remains a major concern. Knife crime is a symptom of underlying problems - legislating to remove the knives, while obviously desirable, won't in itself make the problems go away.:(

bekisman
12-Jul-08, 09:35
A couple of links below - but like all things, sometimes it's not as bad as it's made out to be; In the Thai jungle for three weeks plus, saw one snake - yet to all accounts it's 'teaming' with 'em.. but below does make bad reading.. We often go to Stirling to stay and go either to Glasgow or Edinburgh, prefer Glasgow..

http://www.martinfrost.ws/htmlfiles/scotnews07/070716_murder.html (http://www.martinfrost.ws/htmlfiles/scotnews07/070716_murder.html)

http://onepearsallandhisbooks.blogspot.com/2005/09/glasgow-murder-city.html (http://onepearsallandhisbooks.blogspot.com/2005/09/glasgow-murder-city.html)

JAWS
12-Jul-08, 13:47
I think these kind of problems go with any very large urban area, there are always areas which are best avoided on cold dark nights. What has always got to be born in mind with the "numbers" game is the size of population in the area under discussion.

A couple of random murders in a population of say five thousand people is far more of a problem than half a dozen such murders in a population of ten million, unless you are one of those on the receiving end, that is.

Some places get a reputation for being violent which, once obtained, the media seem to glory in. Glasgow has that reputation as does Liverpool and now Manchester. Birmingham, which is just as large as those places seems not to have that reputation nationally although I doubt that, in reality, it is any different.

I understand Nottingham has a terrible problem with violent crime but until quite recently I would have thought it to be ever such a nice quiet place.

tigger2u
12-Jul-08, 14:11
I can agree with you in that Jaws. Glasgow has had the reputation many years ago and the media has never let it go. Your also right about keeping away from certian areas but if you only in town for the nightlife then stick around that area and the busy streets as Glasgow has many dark side streets and if your unsure where to go. you can get lost pretty easily.
I dont know all the pubs & clubs in Glasgow so if I'm unsure where it is, I ask a bouncer, most are very helpful.

What also has happened many times here, is that alot of the crimes that happen in Glasgow are actually committed by people outside Glasgow as our clubs attract many from surrounding areas and further. So it not always the weegies you have to be careful of.

percy toboggan
12-Jul-08, 15:09
No matter Glasgow's ills and travails I always get/got a buzz from visiting the place. It has real character and grit...aye it might be hard place to grow up in but as someone said so are many cities. I used to get on well with Glaswegians I met and without exception they were friendly and down to earth.

Just off the motorway (bottom end M74) there used to be shop that did the best salad barmcakes in the world...I bet it's gone now...the woman butty-maker had a huge knife....brilliant buttys....I'd look forward to a couple all the way up!
God bless Glasgow and it's good people.
(if there is a God o'course - I dunno)

Valerie Campbell
12-Jul-08, 16:29
I'm heading into Glasgow in the first week in August with a friend to go shopping. I haven't been there for a number of years but I don't feel any less safe there than anywhere else. Ok, there are parts of the city I wouldn't venture into, but I know not to go there.

hotrod4
13-Jul-08, 07:38
I agree with most on here that Glasgow is just as bad as everywhere else and the media do like to jump on it and portray the City as full of Gangsters.( Not all of west of Scotland look like Paul ferris and tell lies to sell books!)

As an Ayrshire lad(posh west coasters ;)) we used to travel throughout strathclyde and have never had any bother, I think its all to do with attitude,if you go there expecting it to be "rough" then that what you will SEE. If on the other hand you go there with an open mind and accept it for the buzzing cosmopolitan city that it is then thats what you will find.

The knife stats are bad, but if you consider almost 1 in 5 scots live there, then that puts it into perspective.
On the whole you are just as likely to get attacked/threatened(if not more so) coming home from the pub in Wick as you are in Glasgow.

hotrod4
13-Jul-08, 07:42
I am heading off to Glasgow soon,so if anyone has any advice on what areas to avoid/be careful in please let me know as it has been years since I have been there,apart from the airport just passing through x

You will find it a very pleasant place to visit. Stick to the City centre area and you'll be fine.
If you go out towards the schemies then it will be a bit different, but most visitors have no need to visit there.You probably wouldnt have any probs if you did as most of the trouble is gang related and nothing at all to do with you.

On the whole the East end is considered "bad" but thats not wholly true, personally I love Govan and thats my favourite part of Glasgow but I am biased :)

honey
16-Jul-08, 20:48
i lived in (and son goes to school in ) Easterhouse, I am now in Garthamlock, which is just beside it, and yes i have heard the stories of horrible crime, and seen the flowers and football shirts at places where incidents occur, and it is frightening, but i think the majority of these (of course, not all) dont generally happen to a passer by. Its more likley to be due to some sort of fued.

If course im not saying this justifies any of it, it is all still shocking and a very sad indication of the society we live in, but no matter where you live, the best thing you can do is to keep well clear of trouble, as it seems likely to end up in dire consequences.

(ooh, but keep away from parkhead!! :lol:;))

tigger2u
16-Jul-08, 23:38
i lived in (and son goes to school in ) Easterhouse, I am now in Garthamlock, which is just beside it, and yes i have heard the stories of horrible crime, and seen the flowers and football shirts at places where incidents occur, and it is frightening, but i think the majority of these (of course, not all) dont generally happen to a passer by. Its more likley to be due to some sort of fued.

If course im not saying this justifies any of it, it is all still shocking and a very sad indication of the society we live in, but no matter where you live, the best thing you can do is to keep well clear of trouble, as it seems likely to end up in dire consequences.

(ooh, but keep away from parkhead!! :lol:)

I wish I could keep away from it but im only 10 mins from it and it gives me nightmares :( HELPPPPPPP! [lol]

A_Usher
18-Jul-08, 10:55
I lived in Easterhouse for many years as a child, up until the age of 13, went to secondary school in Balliestone, and then for the rest of adolescent life lived in the south side of Glasgow, in Priesthill, both areas classed as deprived areas. We left Glasgow 10 years ago to come up here. I have to say in all the years i spent in Glasgow the majority of them where crime free, and i did the usual pubs and clubs up until i was 25.

Equally i have brought many people from the states to Glasgow to hold seminars and events and all have had a great time with no issues with personal safety etc. Glasgow is like any other city, it has its so called good and bad areas, and people only need apply common sense and avoid areas that look problematic. Having said that i lived and grew up in two of the so called worse housing estates in Glasgow, and i never had any problems and a high percentage of people i went to school with went on to good jobs, university, careers etc. I have many a fond memory of Glasgow and regularly go back to see family etc.

For every negative there is a positive, and whilst many perceive Glasgow as a crime capital, equally as many people see it as one of the most friendliest and welcoming cities.

teenybash
18-Jul-08, 12:05
I lived in Easterhouse for many years as a child, up until the age of 13, went to secondary school in Balliestone, and then for the rest of adolescent life lived in the south side of Glasgow, in Priesthill, both areas classed as deprived areas. We left Glasgow 10 years ago to come up here. I have to say in all the years i spent in Glasgow the majority of them where crime free, and i did the usual pubs and clubs up until i was 25.

Equally i have brought many people from the states to Glasgow to hold seminars and events and all have had a great time with no issues with personal safety etc. Glasgow is like any other city, it has its so called good and bad areas, and people only need apply common sense and avoid areas that look problematic. Having said that i lived and grew up in two of the so called worse housing estates in Glasgow, and i never had any problems and a high percentage of people i went to school with went on to good jobs, university, careers etc. I have many a fond memory of Glasgow and regularly go back to see family etc.

For every negative there is a positive, and whilst many perceive Glasgow as a crime capital, equally as many people see it as one of the most friendliest and welcoming cities.

Wll said Andrew....Glasgow is not the frightening place some would have others believe........in fact, I think it is the greatest city in Scotland...but then I am biased......................:Razz

cd1977
18-Jul-08, 15:22
It must also be one of the most bigoted cities anywhere in the world.

What school did you go to son? :roll:

hotrod4
18-Jul-08, 15:25
It must also be one of the most bigoted cities anywhere in the world.

What school did you go to son? :roll:

I went to the local Primary(and it didnt have Mary in the name!) but there was another school, think that was for those poor unfortunate people who werent as good as us!!!! lol

honey
19-Jul-08, 10:32
I went to the local Primary(and it didnt have Mary in the name!) but there was another school, think that was for those poor unfortunate people who werent as good as us!!!! lol

dont suppose it was Bishoploch? It closed its doors for the last time as a new school has been built.

A_Usher
19-Jul-08, 10:36
The last time i was in Glasgow, i drove by my old primary, Easthall Primary in Easterhouse. It looked very run down from the outside, very sad.

hotrod4
19-Jul-08, 15:17
dont suppose it was Bishoploch? It closed its doors for the last time as a new school has been built.

Fraid not it was an Ayrshire school which is also being demolished, maybe its a sign of the times? they all seemed to be getting pulled down.

honey
19-Jul-08, 15:45
Fraid not it was an Ayrshire school which is also being demolished, maybe its a sign of the times? they all seemed to be getting pulled down.

yeah, my son went to Bishoploch, but its being pulled down, as are another 2, commonhead and rogerfield.

The new school is looking god though!

hotrod4
19-Jul-08, 17:52

The new school is looking god though!

And who said Glasgow was bigoted!!! ;) lol

tigger2u
20-Jul-08, 10:09
And who said Glasgow was bigoted!!! ;) lol

It isn't Glasgow thats bigoted, it's a group of small minded people that you can find all over Scotland and not just Glasgow.

cd1977
20-Jul-08, 12:31
That's not strictly true. It's a central belt issue. You will find very little of that nonsense from Aberdeen northwards.

JAWS
20-Jul-08, 22:05
And there I was thinking I was pure bred English but if bigotry is purely a Central Belt issue then everybody must have lied to me about where I was brought up in Lancashire being in England.
I find it highly amusing that Scotland thinks it has cornered the monopoly of such things on mainland Britain.
I can cope with National Pride but there are limits.

tigger2u
20-Jul-08, 23:48
That's not strictly true. It's a central belt issue. You will find very little of that nonsense from Aberdeen northwards.

[lol] you can bury your head in the sand if you want, its been up there for many years or is that sunday school songs the Aberdeen supporters sing ? Yes it is different when it comes to football but don't kid yourself that it isn't around you.

cd1977
21-Jul-08, 09:02
Burying my head in the sand?

Orange marches are banned in Aberdeen. They dont exist northwards of Aberdeen. There is no separate schooling in Aberdeen. Kids are not brought up to detest "them" in Aberdeen.

It's pretty clear to me which part of Scotland the problem lies in.

hotrod4
21-Jul-08, 10:49

Orange marches are banned in Aberdeen. They dont exist northwards of Aberdeen. There is no separate schooling in Aberdeen. Kids are not brought up to detest "them" in Aberdeen.

They have them in Inverness, and why shouldnt they? I live north of Aberdeen and I am feircly loyal to Queen and country and proud of my roots, does that make me a bigot? If so then I accept it, theres a difference between pride and prejudice.
I have my own little "march" to the pub on the 12th every year to celebrate it.
There was no trouble this year is that because the anti-march people didnt turn up this year? or is it because the point of the march is not to start trouble, its a show of pride for your roots.
I am a member of an orange lodge and proud of it, it doesnt make me bigoted.

cd1977
21-Jul-08, 11:59
Apologies hotrod, I was not aware of this vile practice having reached Inverness. But by and large it is a central belt argument and it should be kept that way. For anyone to suggest, as Tigger has, that the same problem exists throughout Scotland is blinkered in the extreme.

tigger2u
21-Jul-08, 12:07

Keep digging [lol]

Banning a march or mixed schools does not mean mean bigotry doesn't exist, that lies with families, especially parents and what they pass down to their children and try to remember it has many forms not just religion. Homophobia and racial bigotry is all over the place, unless north of Edinburgh has some secret. I'm sure the rest of the world would love to know what it is. Especially our English neighbours, I'm sure they dont feel any sort of bigotry at all up there.

To get the topic back to where it was though, Glasgow isnt unique in its problems, it just that with a higher volume of people living here then it will seem worse.

tigger2u
21-Jul-08, 12:15
Apologies hotrod, I was not aware of this vile practice having reached Inverness. But by and large it is a central belt argument and it should be kept that way. For anyone to suggest, as Tigger has, that the same problem exists throughout Scotland is blinkered in the extreme.

So you are NOT aware and yet you say I'm wrong ? I think its my eyes that are wide open and honest enough to see there are problems all over Scotland and not just the Central belt as you seem to believe.

Hotrod opened your mind a little, now its time to see the light.

cd1977
21-Jul-08, 12:50
What bilge, Tigger.

Children in Glasgow are exposed to bigotry on a daily basis. My children have never been, and never will be because it is not an issue in Caithness. To clarify, I am referring to religious bigotry and not the other forms of bigotry you mention which anyone will accept happens the world over.

Glasgow = Scotland's shame. But evidently you live there and feel compelled to defend the place. Rather you than me.

tigger2u
21-Jul-08, 13:10
What bilge, Tigger.

Children in Glasgow are exposed to bigotry on a daily basis. My children have never been, and never will be because it is not an issue in Caithness. To clarify, I am referring to religious bigotry and not the other forms of bigotry you mention which anyone will accept happens the world over.

Glasgow = Scotland's shame. But evidently you live there and feel compelled to defend the place. Rather you than me.

lmao [lol] the manner in with you degrade hotrods belief system by calling it vile and that you try to degrade me only because of where my house is, only confirms that bigotry is alive in its many forms. Or am I wrong in my thinking that we are supposed to respect one anothers religion, practices and culture, no matter where we come from.

I could be wrong but then again Im from Glasgow and a mere shameful blight on Scotland [lol] or is that an opinion of a bigot ?

btw I found this very interesting http://www.orangeorderscotland.com/history.html Have a look at one of the first areas that
it began. Caithness

hotrod4
21-Jul-08, 13:17

It does exist throughout Scotland,even in Caithness I know of loads of people from both sides of the divide "wear their colours" blatantly. There are celtic fans who wear T-shirts with Pro-Irish republican slogans and pictures of the guy with the funny hat and Rangers fans who wear similar tops. It exists everywhere, its just that the schools up here allow mixed religion wheras in the central belt they are sometimes seperated because One church thinks its superior to the other. I have told my kids my beliefs and which church i pin my union jack to, it is up to them to decide if they wish to follow on the tradition, I wouldnt force it on them they just know my opinions, they can make up their own minds,though I wouldnt be happy if they "joined" the other side but thats my entitlement as it is theirs.
It all stems from hundreds of years of tradition which shouldnt be allowed to be forgotten on any side.

cd1977
21-Jul-08, 13:33
It might exist elsewhere in Scotland, however it is not an issue.

As for looking at the website you list Tigger well.....

as my browser is now kitted out with the latest Microsoft bigotry filter it wont allow me to open it.

I even had the disinfectant at the ready as well :cool:

tigger2u
21-Jul-08, 13:37

as my browser is now kitted out with the latest Microsoft bigotry filter it wont allow me to open it.

head in sand again eh lmao [lol]

hotrod4
21-Jul-08, 13:59

As your "bigotry" filter wont work i took the pleasure of copying some of the text using my flute playing orange coloured browser!(flutefox)

between March and May 1798. The Ayr, Tay, Dumfries, North Lowland and Caithness Fencibles likewise took out Orange Warrants over the ensuing months, and around the turn of the century the Elgin Regiment, the Midlothian Dragoons, and the Duke of York's Highlanders also obtained authority to hold Orange Lodges in their regiments

I noticed it states Caithness fencibles as opposed to the Caithness sit on the fencibles ;)

tigger2u
21-Jul-08, 14:03
As your "bigotry" filter wont work i took the pleasure of copying some of the text using my flute playing orange coloured browser!(flutefox)

between March and May 1798. The Ayr, Tay, Dumfries, North Lowland and Caithness Fencibles likewise took out Orange Warrants over the ensuing months, and around the turn of the century the Elgin Regiment, the Midlothian Dragoons, and the Duke of York's Highlanders also obtained authority to hold Orange Lodges in their regiments

I noticed it states Caithness fencibles as opposed to the Caithness sit on the fencibles ;)

[lol] LMAO [lol] that has to hurt

cd1977
21-Jul-08, 14:26
1798? Are you for real? Who cares?

Anyway, I've had enough of reeling in bigots on here, I am off to lap up the nice weather in my bigot free environment.

I'll leave Tigger and hotrod to their Orange lodge love in.

hotrod4
21-Jul-08, 14:34

Anyway, I've had enough of reeling in bigots on here, I am off to lap up the nice weather in my bigot free environment.

Many thanks for your constructive comments, its a pity you have to go I was having so much fun with you, I'll just remove my blinkers and pack the flute away for another day, have a nice day now :)
P.s didnt realise I was the one being "reeled in" thought it was the other way round!!!!

Sapphire2803
21-Jul-08, 14:42
Well, I love a good threadjacking as much as the next person :D

I'm an Irish catholic, my best friend is a protestant from Bishopbriggs. We don't care, although we have a good laugh sometimes slagging each other after a few drinks.

To this day though, if I were to go round to her grandparents house, they'd hide the silverware :lol:

Now, to get back on topic.

I always heard the media version of Glasgow and thought it was just how they depicted it. Then I went there and after I removed my bullet proof vest and took the armour plating off the car (haha), I discovered what a wonderful place it really is.

The media have a lot to answer for.

cd1977
21-Jul-08, 15:19
I know, it's pure wonderful byraway, so-it-iz.

It's wonderful when you park your car and some street urchin approaches with the offer:

A pound to watch (i.e. not tan) yer car mister?

I also love the welcoming looking bars & social clubs with the essence on a barbed wire and MDF decor.

All in all I have had some wonderful experiences in Glasgow. It compares favourably with downtown Beirut.

Sapphire2803
21-Jul-08, 15:29
That's no different from any city though, You just avoid those bits and don't let it taint the rest of the city.

hotrod4
21-Jul-08, 15:37
I find it a lovely welcoming place,yes it has its problems as does Caithness, for example who would've thought Wick would be flooded with Heroin? and you see all the addicts queueing up in Boots to get their Methadone.
It does have a chequered past and has a bad element but on the whole I like it, Actually prefer it to Aberdeen or Edinburgh. Paisley I find is actually worse than Glasgow, I have family in Ferguslie park and the last time I went their there was a murder.The best part of the central belt I would say is Ayr, its a spotless town with loads to do and doesnt have that much crime, not like my hometown of Dalry which is all boarded up and falling to bits, shame really as it was a lovely place.

honey
21-Jul-08, 17:40
I always heard the media version of Glasgow and thought it was just how they depicted it. Then I went there and after I removed my bullet proof vest and took the armour plating off the car (haha), I discovered what a wonderful place it really is.

The media have a lot to answer for.

well said Sapphire. I live in Glasgow, am married to a protestant rangers supporter, whos brother-in-law is a catholic celtic supporter. Our kids might tease each other about football. but religious hatred and bigotry is NOT something they even know about.

oh, and my nephew goes to the same non-denominational school as my son.

the media has a lot to answer for, as does narrow minded views that think bigotry is a one sided problem, and not something we have to come together the eradicate.

(and all this from a spelling mistake!!! :lol:)

tigger2u
21-Jul-08, 20:47

Did I say I was in the Orange lodge ? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm nope.
As for the bigot free environment, well I'm sure the weathers lovely under the sand. Enjoy the sandcastles:D

tigger2u
21-Jul-08, 20:51
I know, it's pure wonderful byraway, so-it-iz.

It's wonderful when you park your car and some street urchin approaches with the offer:

A pound to watch (i.e. not tan) yer car mister?

I also love the welcoming looking bars & social clubs with the essence on a barbed wire and MDF decor.

All in all I have had some wonderful experiences in Glasgow. It compares favourably with downtown Beirut.

A fairly bias view i guess or is bias the right word for it ? hmm

But I think you proved the point better than I did, when i made a previous post about small minded people. Well done

cd1977
22-Jul-08, 08:51
And a serious one of course :roll:.

Now tigger, go and make hotrod's tea.

Two against one eh?

Typical weegies :cool:

tigger2u
22-Jul-08, 10:34
And a serious one of course .

Now tigger, go and make hotrod's tea.

Two against one eh?

Typical weegies

Again you prove my point for me, your doing really well at it now[lol]............. Bigot is often used as a pejorative term against a person who is obstinately devoted to prejudices even when these views are challenged or proven to be false or not universally applicable or acceptable.
Now I get the feeling you have alot of negative, derogatory views on Glasgow and us Weegies. ( I wonder why i felt this ) lol
Now are you still sure children are not subjected to bigotry in Caithness. Your own words, throughout this post, say its alive and kicking.

As for 2 against 1, theres a few more made statements not just me and Hotrod, but you do have the blinkers on and duck under the sand to make sandcastles when its suits you, so you might not have seen them.

I'll make the tea no problem and hotrod will give the handshake to get in lmao [lol]

cd1977
22-Jul-08, 11:32
I think the silent majority on the org will agree with me.

Apologies to any decent weegies reading this ;)

tigger2u
22-Jul-08, 12:01
I think the silent majority on the org will agree with me.

Apologies to any decent weegies reading this ;)

According to you, there are no decent ones and if you look at other peoples views you will see that most people have mostly good experiences here and know there are bad points too, Which I have always said there are. I can admit and see the good and bad points.
Judging us all as one only promote bigotry and prejudice. which you say doesnt exist in Caithness. again i say, you proved that wrong all by yourself.

I think this has run is course now and I have to end with a fitting quote

"Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

I lose :D

cd1977
22-Jul-08, 12:26
And as my father always said:

"Never argue with a weegie. They'll chib you quick as look at you"

Cheers now :cool:

hotrod4
22-Jul-08, 14:26
And as my father always said:

"Never argue with a weegie on the org. They'll chib you quick as look at you"

is that not an anti-west coast bigoted statement or does it not count in your eyes?

And for the record if you read back(thats the symbols thats not pictures!) you will find I am not a "weegie" I am actually from Ayrshire which is like saying someone from Helmsdale is a Caithnessian!!!.
Maps are freely available on the Internet where this can be verified to be true.

Been such a pleasure but I have to go and look out ma chib as theres some motors that the kids have to look after ;)

cd1977
22-Jul-08, 14:42
Ayr? Oh well, that's fine I take it all back.

Now away and roll up your trouser leg.

TBH
22-Jul-08, 15:59
Ignorant bigots are the worst, the ones that don't even understand what they are being bigoted about.

hotrod4
22-Jul-08, 16:32
Ayr? Oh well, that's fine I take it all back.

Now away and roll up your trouser leg.

And why would I roll up my trouser leg? I am not going paddling ;)
Your obviously very confused and dont understand the difference.

And there is a difference between Ayr and Ayrshire!
Mibbes you should go back and "google" to explain the differance between both of the above then!! :)

Ignorance is bliss, stupidity is freely available!

TBH
22-Jul-08, 16:56
Scotland has a lot of 'pretend' Catholics and Protestants. They teach all these ideas of hate without really having a clue.
Passing their blind hate from one generation to the other, the kiddies soak it all up and on it goes.

hotrod4
22-Jul-08, 17:42
Scotland has a lot of 'pretend' Catholics and Protestants. They teach all these ideas of hate without really having a clue.
Passing their blind hate from one generation to the other, the kiddies soak it all up and on it goes.

Thats very true.

Just to set the record straight in case anyone was wondering I am not in anyway Anti-Catholic, I have Catholic friends, I am pro Loyalist and anti republican there is a difference.
Just want to clarify my position as it can easily be read as being Anti-Catholic by those that are ignorant.

I feel I am justified in my stance as I have served in Ulster at Enniskillen and have seen what "republicanism" can do to Protestants and Catholics alike.
Thats my honest opinion and feel that I have been upfront and honest throughout the debate.